Bike wheels and speed

GoldenMotor.com

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
H iall,
I have this stutter and not quite grinding sound coming from the front wheel . I've swapped out the wheel and the same.

20 25 mph and it goes, it will disappear at lower speeds.

Over speeding the bearings?

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Thanks for the input, When it starts you feel a definite stick/ grab ad then kind of rumbling chatter, but two wheels..... Monday wheels in China!?

I have no exp with bike bearings, but it has had me looking everywhere else.

I should say these are beach bike wheels, made crappy cuz, how fast are going to go?

Damn if I had been riding and was still trying to locate the sound, cocking my head this way and that, and thought it is louder, about that time I got to a corner and went to turn and the tire deflated like, now.

I'm gonna go with gremlins.

Do I really need a front wheel?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
If you changed the wheel and the noise is still there it may be something else..... is the noise even coming from your wheel? (noises can sometimes be deceiving)....... Id suggest getting up to speed where you hear the noise, then kill the motor and pull in the clutch... if the noise continues you can rule out the engine.... then it will likely be either the wheel bearings or brakes are scrubbing

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Now on my 3d replacement wheel, it has to be bearings, each make the sound
but each a lil different

It has to be the bearing can't take the speed, and no this is a beach bike step thru, no brakes but coaster.

So odd none of this from the rear one!?

Thanks for all the input.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Hmmmmm....
Very strange indeed!
How about cleaning and repacking the bearings (with high quality grease such as Phil Wood grease) on one wheel then trying it out?
Even high temp automotive grease will work good.

I always do this on any new to me bike. Neither of my 2 MB's have ever has strange bearing noises