Help Me Decide, Please. New To The Forum

GoldenMotor.com

RFPavlik

Apr 20, 2009
HAYMARKET, Virginia
Hi. I'm in Haymarket, Virginia, about 40 miles from Washington, DC. I love biking the many country roads we have locally and have plans for some 2 day or 3 day trips.

I currently have an electric bike, but do not like being limited to 20 miles before the batteries need to be charged. So I'm considering purchasing another bike and having a gas engine installed. I know I want 50CC. However, a quiet bike is more important to me than a faster bike. What would be better -- 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Since there are many hills where I bike, is the 50 CC 4 stroke powerful enough?

My wife is concerned about safety. Other than avoiding major highways, using a flashing tail light, wearing bright clothing, being cautious, and watching out for the cars, what more can I do?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Granpa brnot

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy RFP, welcome. A 4 stroke is not as loud as a 2 stroke and while not as "quick" my 50cc honda 4 stroke (stock, all) is faster then any of my stock "80cc" 2 strokes. Is a lot easier to refuel on the road with out mixing oil and is a more comfortable ride and vibrates a lot less. The down side is it is 3 times the cost. (I think well worth) But this is a hotly debated issue and you should read up on it. Here is a link to just one of the discussions on this very topic; http://motorbicycling.com/f31/2-stroke-vs-4-stroke-7406.html If you get a chance, ride both before making a choice. Please keep us updated. Good to meet ya.

Edit; I failed to mention my 4 stroke is a better hill climber, but it is the only 4 stroke I have owned. Not a really worrisome issue as with a MB if the hill is winning, a lil peddling and your flying. Makes ya feel like superman doing 20 uphill on a bicycle, snork) Also a 4 stroke is more dependable.

Dan

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Naw Cris, these things are a blast! First one ya buy seems like it is always an agonizing decision. For the price vs hrs of fun, well worth it, any MB kit you buy. What are ya gonna go with, dealer and cc I mean?

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
If I had the money to burn, I'd try out a 4 stroke, someday and probably after I've got 8 or 9 bikes with 2 strokes. These things are like Jays Potato Chips........Ya just can't stop at one!

It's probably a good thing, for me, to start with 2 strokes anyhow. Imagine how broke I'd be after building 8 or 9 bikes with 4 strokes! LOL

.wee.