modular bike design

GoldenMotor.com

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
Any interest in American made modular frames ?
This is my baby, I've been working on the design for about a week. remove the bolts and the entire top assembly comes off ( seat and tank) you can fit a gas tank in or electronics everything is "hot swappable" meaning you can go from gas to electric in under an hour . this is the second version of this design.
it can fit anything from a 50cc Morini to a 125+cc horizontal Lifan it can fit 60 amp hours in ready made packs from electric motor sport or over 110 amp hours from max amps 13.5 ah packs ( pricy at 7,000$) so far this is only a plan. i need the proper tools to make it , so far I have a welder , angle grinder and files. nothing else. I'm saving to get a tubing roller, drill press tube cutters and a better torch so i can braze some parts. the suspension is similar to monark forks but with a custom twist. I'm working on some concept artwork for it to give an idea what it will look like. I want to start making nice frames for whatever power system people want.

pictures to get an idea of how things fit, one is a morini s6 the other is 2*22.2 volt 60 Amp hour packs I havent gotten a lifan cad done up yet and the dimensions of the stick figure person are for my body measurements, im 6 feet tall 145 pounds at my heaviest so a stick figure works for me lol
I wish i still had access to a machine shop so we could actually have good quality engines like the china girls. i can see the design being redone with a kick start and a centrifugal clutch made of billet aluminum they mount in the frame so nicely sadly it would take too much to do something like that.

anyway the frame is just an idea for now , so let me know what you think

EDIT: threw in a comparison to a normal road bike. with 26 inch tires

Last edited:

Matricon

Jul 18, 2012
Baltimore
ah, it looks just like my cad program at school so i just assumed. but with the design, how would you prevent chain slack? when the engine starts pulling it will pull the suspension arm up and slacken the chain. maybe some kind of tensioner?

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
well if its electric the motor mounts on the swing arm im working on a 2 speed transmission for it it defaults to the higher gear (( normal for running up to 60 mph) and has a manual lower gear , pulling the lever will disengage high and low takes over). for gas it has a tensioner , the movement at the pivot is so close to where there is a jack shaft that you could get away without a tensioner but better to have one then not. there is still quite a bit of work to be done on it before its even close to done. all the little details lol.

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
ok as promised concept art , I did a little modding to the frame to make it stronger and more rigid . one is without the tank , one is with the tank draw and sketched in. I have a feeling this tank will easily hold 3 gallons of gas , currently I only have 50$ and that's to fix my computer and tablet , hopefully i can sell my guitar amp soon ( 800$ model) to get tools and start on the prototype.

its so purdy

Last edited:

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
Ok so a bit of good news. I just go my own workshop and a bunch of tools. though some assembly required. I got an old grinding tool one my grandpa used after WWII to build up his ranch.( big heavy duty one) still working on getting the other tools i need. but if i absolutely have to ill just cut everything to hand and file it down until it fits to get the prototype done. Ive done a little more modding to the frame and integrated a jack shaft drive into the frame. ill keep updating as i get things done

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Too bad you are not close, I would like to help with this project. You have a good design. I am building a new bike that's half aluminum and the tail section will be steel. Adjustable head tube also. It's called aluma racer.

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
Yeah i was telling my dad that it was too bad i didnt live closer to some one like you. I had a really nice machine shop at my friends , but he moved and i moved back to sacramento and just go my own shop cause my dad got a promotion at work so he is building his shop in the garage and i get the work shed we built a few years back. it stays cool in there even when its 108 outside and has ac if i need. the only thing is finding 2 and 1 inch tubing. i need 300$ or so to get the remainder of the tools but i could manage without some. but i know i definitely need a pipe bender. How have you been CCC ?

here is some new images i revised the frame and the lines all over are the dimensions so i can make a jig for building the first frame also a top view. took a bunch of work , the seat is 6 inches wide im not sure if making it thinner would do much , its similar to the motoped dirtbike thing

Last edited:

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
Just throwing it out there, this thread is NOT dead . I have been busy with working on the design getting everything perfect. I am also working on getting the funding (10,000$) to get all the tools and machining equipment to start making the frames and a prototype built. My grandfather is the senior lead programmer at Nokia systems, and his good friend is the designer of a few Intel chips that made computers what they are today. So he is well off and is interested in "seeding" green technology. which I will be making electric versions where I live. I will have bare versions ready for gas or electric power systems. I hope to have a working prototype by spring. In the mean time I will be gearing up my shop and working on the design.

Vfalpha-1

Jun 18, 2010
Sacramento California
the jack shaft is right in front of the hinge line, basically like a motorcycle. it can either use the derailleur for less powerful set ups, Or it can use a drive on the left side of the wheel. the frame geometry doesn't require a tensioner, as it is the same as a motorcycle. I do have one designed for it though.