how far have you gotten??

GoldenMotor.com

How long can you go before you have to mess with it (or fix it)? (you're MB...)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spillers

Oct 18, 2008
va
without your MB breaking????
(and what broke when something did break?)
1. 1-100miles
2.101-250 miles
3.250-500 miles
4.500+ miles
5.none of the above, I took my bike out of service to mess with/upgrade ....

Also: who has gotten the highest miles without messin with it (the MB)?

Just curious, cause I cant seem to get around the block before I have to mess/tinker with something, and I'd really like to commute with this thing someday.

Thanks
Spillers

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI

First build got me about 3 miles before I had to stop....The engine mounts loosened up and engine was on the verge of falling off....

After this was taken care of, I rode another 2 or 3 miles and then saw the chain had Waaaaaayyyyy too much play in it...Had to limp back home and take care of that...

Once these two issues were taken care of the bike has been pretty reliable since (but at about 60 miles I had to retorque the head bolts)..

Hope this helps.

Andrew

spillers

Oct 18, 2008
va
whoops, I should have put this in general discussion, but I still want the juicy details.... How far have you gottten?

spillers

Oct 18, 2008
va
Andrew, You arent talking about your trek are you?

Seems like most MB will have some breaking in issues (like a misaligned sprocket or something). Once that stuff is fixed.... well how does it do?!??!?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Five years ago when I first starting riding my motorized bicycle it was about thirty miles when I decided to change my chain. I was having to adjust it on every ride.

I commuted to work everyday for five years and three months. (too far to commute today)

Two years ago my throttle cable broke on a very long ride.

This summer on my fifth year and well over 4,000 miles is when I started having trouble. First, I had to replace my rear wheel due to breaking spokes on almost every ride.

Second, my rear mount broke...hmmmm...thats it.

I'm using the same studs...same gaskets...same no bearing chain tensioner. I ran the stock plug and wire for over four years and with no fuel filter. My kill switch lasted three 1/2 years before it fell apart. And I never installed the stock clutch lever just used a brake lever. Still using the stock clutch cable. And I've never had to adjust my clutch.

The only real problems I have had is from my own fault. Like I forgot to tighten my tensioner one time and it got into my spokes. I always seem to forget to bolt my brake arm for my coaster brake and you know what happens when you go to use the brake :eek:

So I've had a bent rear sprocket for almost a year now and no chain problems what so ever.

So five years and some 4,400 miles...Chain, kill switch, rear mount, rear wheel, and a throttle cable.

Only once I had to pedal home and that was when my tensioner fell off. Even when my throttle cable broke I still managed to reach my destination with a little road side fix.

Oh, and I have had three flats two in the last couple months.

I also lost my rear brakes comming down a Mountain and almost hit head on to uncomming traffic when I was going to fast to make a turn...I now have front brakes but mostly to make everybody on the forum feel better:D I like to live on the edge rotfl

Last edited:

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
At 700 miles, my clutch pads were worn down so far I had to replace them. Put in new pads and I quit climbing the mountain passes with the 36T and have racked up 3,500 miles since then. Same clutch pads. I lubed my clutch bolts and changed my springs to 45's when I replaced my clutch pads. Total down time 20 mins. I decided I would have to put on a larger sprocket if I ever decide to climb the mountain passes again. Changed the oil 2000 miles ago.Replaced both primary and secondary chains around 300 miles ago when I installed a 41T. I did not need to replace the long chain but the Gear box chain was stretched so I replaced it. ...That is it for my Titan..

The other problems have been the bicycle. Broken spokes at 300 miles and replaced the rear wheel with a Diamondback 36 spoke wheel and that fixed the spokes problem. Several flat tires which stopped with thorn resistant tube and then lined with 2 old tubes total of 3 tubes in each tire. No more Flats !!! O yes.. A rear brake shoe that wore down to a metal piece and this metal piece dug into my alloy rim !! Yikes !! I replaced the one pad and had to hand sand that side of the rim to make it smooth again. So.. Now I am looking for 4000 plus miles.. Today it was 64 degrees and beautiful.. The next week is going cold.. Looks like my 4000 miles will happen in spring.. I will get some fenders so I can do some Slush Snow weather riding.. Enjoy the ride...

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Just curious, cause I cant seem to get around the block before I have to mess/tinker with something, and I'd really like to commute with this thing someday.
I've got the same problem, but I think that is the norm with these engines, from all that I've read. I think that once the bugs are worked out they'll just go and go. Mine seems to be running good and strong finally and all I can say is, "It's about time!"

I think one trick of keeping it going longer is to keep the R's at mid-range, but I'm no expert. Everytime I had run full throttle, ripping up the neighborhood, for hours on end is when I seemed to attract problems with this engine. Now it's snowing everyday and I have to run slower to keep from wiping out on the ice and my MB has no problems whatsoever, outside the fact that it doesn't like cold starting.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I have had the normal problems everyone seems to have untill you beef up eveything. Rear wheel bearings lasted 50mph, put loose bearings to replace bearing race, plug fouled at 75mph because the rich oil mix for break-in, intake and exhaust gaskets fell apart, front fender bracket broke, Tires blew and replaced with heavy duty Bell self healing. and evething vibrating loose. But if I keep the rpm down and run where the motor likes to run, I avoid most of the vibration problems. There is a learning curve with these bikes, but I am enjoying it more and more as I figure out the small bugs.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
Hi Spilleers,

No not the Trek bike...that has been my best so far....zero problems...knock on wood....of course I had to apply all I learned from previous builds to build it right the first time....of course I still do routine checks just in case and to make sure the chain tension is right.

Andrew

engera

Nov 21, 2008
Waterford, WI
I am relatively new to the MB scene but I have made a few long runs before the snow flew. On my first real ride I may have bit off a little much but I went 26 miles round trip. About half way I noticed a fuel leak that was going to leave me stranded if i didn't do something. I could stop the leak on the trip but it was sorta funny pulling up to the gas station, buying some 2 cycle oil and filling up with $0.77 worth of gas. I have had to adjust the tensioner a few times but that is to be expected.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
My China 2 stroke decided to knock violently but Dax had some parts for me so I'll get that running again eventually. But before that I racked up pretty close to about 28 hundred miles on that puppy. Two bikes MOOP 1 the Diamondback had wheel and tire issues learned that solid tubes aren't all that great but otherwise solid. Then when I transferred the engine to MOOP 2 my vintage Montgomery Ward Newspaper Bike I suffered some front mount problems I'm pretty sure now I know a good fix stay tuned.

On Cronus I also had some wheel and tire issues and I made my chain adjustments too tight after that pickup truck bashed the side of my bike and that engine went DOWN and didn't realize how much that hit threw off my alignment till almost a week later which ruined a bushing that I replaced then I learned that chain alignment is critical and when it's properly aligned you can run your chain not tight at all and it will roll forever. Now I can adjust my chain once and I never ever need to adjust it again no kidding.

I bought Dax's new Chrome carrier for Cronus and a wheel from the Wheelman is coming I'm sure I'll have little problems with Cronus from there on out.
The engine I'm sharing with both Cronus and the Buggy Bike that has Cronus's old carrier still rolling strong.
That Titan engine has by now 4200 miles and my original clutch pads are between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way down with some stress when the trike was geared way too high with that 29 tooth wheel sprocket. But I fixed that puppy by replacing that 10 tooth Jackshaft sprocket to a 12 tooth and now a 14 tooth which brings my gearing just right.
Soon a 3 speed is going on there and a 20 tooth #40 sprocket will replace that 14 tooth hopefully I'll find a 20 tooth wheel sprocket any less may make my gearing tolerable but too high I want pulling power before speed.
I aquired a 20 tooth #35 sprocket. No way. Too small that #35. No chain that I have will fit this from bicycle chain to 415 to #40 teeth are spaced too close together.
Wow. I keep derailing myself.
The other day my pedal chain decided to brake while traveling a steady brisk and with only having coaster brakes it was a fun ride indeed!
I really need to figure out a front brake for this puppy. In the meanwhile I have that 10 feet of #40 chain so wide yes I used that chain to replace my bike chain it works good it looks fly and it's insurance.
Down the road I'm saving up for another Titan engine so Cronus and the Buggy bike won't have to share. Cronus has the new carrier. Cronus gets the new engine.
I'll break the news to the Buggy Bike. I hope there will be no animosity.

Last edited:

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
The dreaded exhust gasket got me after changing that pc of match book paper:-|| to a real gasket (^)the bike ran fine at about 1000 had to change a couple more gaskets and clean the carb out we will not talk about the spark plug that comes with the motor they foul out just after the break in period so then you get a good plug.:)

Cookie

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
with my 2 stroke i had to mess with something everytime i rode it. i bought a titan from thatsdax and never had to do a thing with it except adjusted the chain a few times and adjusted the idle once. i put a 1,000 miles on it and it was stolen. i ordered another titan. its a great motor. i was very happy with it