KC's Big Red II 4-stroke shifter

GoldenMotor.com

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've found in order for me to climb 30% grade hills without peddling 58 ft/lbs are needed. I know a Nuvinci hub will fail if you exceed 50 ft/lbs. I want to build a 3 speed internal hub automatic but I need to know if the hub can handle the torque needed to climb hills here.

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I can't say from experience but I've heard the sturmey-archer is a bit tougher than the shimano 3-spd internal. Was disappointed with the Shimano not lasting.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
The thing is the Kilduff auto shifter will only work on a Shimano Nexus 3 speed. Like many things in life sometimes one must take a leap of faith. Still it'd be nice to know before money is spent.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC or Scotto do either of you know what the torque limits are on the Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub?
Sorry Jerry, no clue on what a SN3 will take, all I know is I haven't built anything strong enough to break one yet.
Not true for a NuVinci, broke a few of those.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
The actual displacement is 48.7 and no court in this state would ever screw with you over a fraction of a cc and with any luck my ongoing fight to raise the limit to 66cc continues to a reasonable limit change.

But that's OK MBR, don't comment on the build itself, just laugh at the .7 cc legality of it in my description of it and nothing else.
The ACTUAL DISPLACEMENT of the SHANDONG HAUSHENG ZHONGTIAN Machinery Group motor is 49.4 cc

Says it right there on the EPA label on the bad red Chinese shroud.

FAMILY NAME: 8SHSS 0494GA EM
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 49.4 CC

Where do you get your 48.7 cc displacement figure from?

The Honda GXH 50 is 49.4 cc too.

Your 'efforts" to get the AZ 48cc limit raised almost got all the 48 cc bikes illegal in Arizona!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The ACTUAL DISPLACEMENT of the SHANDONG HAUSHENG ZHONGTIAN Machinery Group motor is 49.4 cc

Says it right there on the EPA label on the bad red Chinese shroud.

FAMILY NAME: 8SHSS 0494GA EM
ENGINE DISPLACEMENT: 49.4 CC

Where do you get your 48.7 cc displacement figure from?
The Honda GXH 50 is 49.4 cc too.
I just got yet another new HS 142F in from gasbike last week and like every other one I have had it has no EPA sticker on it, just a big round 49cc sticker.

The manual does not state the actual CC either but it has power spec and and I took them and Hondas to make this chart of power and used a conversion program for both the HS and Honda's power specs and worked backwards to determine both were within a fraction of 48cc.

As I said and will repeat yet again, I don't care what the fraction is, the base number is 48cc and again in MY state no court in the land is going to screw with you for a fraction of a cc.

Your 'efforts" to get the AZ 48cc limit raised almost got all the 48 cc bikes illegal in Arizona!
And why the heck would you even care what could wrong in another states law, because yours suck so bad?

That whole AZ Bill you speak of was only meant to include something for electrics in it at 1KW, but then they tried to back math that to gas engine cc's which was not even stated in the new bill as cc's.

Look , that had nothing to do with my continuing efforts to allow the staple 66cc gas power to still be a legal motorized bicycle here, it was just an addendum to limit electrics, but it WAS ME that made sure that backward conversion crap died without even a hearing because you can't compare apples to oranges with backwards math so up yours, I saved motorized bicycles here because I pay attention to what is going on with laws regarding them.

In fact if wasn't for me making a big stink for something completely unrelated to gas because I pay attention to the law making here there would have been a chance so all but tiny gas engine WOULD be illegal.

And since you seem to want to slam my efforts in another state, what REAL efforts are you putting ANY time into to get CA laws relaxed?
It's not like any effort could make them worse!

I know if I was doing business in about the worst state for motorized bicycle law there is I would make it a mission to lobby and try even harder yet you have done nothing but feel compelled to give me **** for trying here?

The only word I can think of to describe you at this moment is Hypocrite.
Give that some 'grown-up man' thought OK?

I look forward to seeing what you do in the future regarding laws to make motor bicycling friendlier in your state but I won't be holding my breath for you to do anything because well, it's damn hard work to learn and understand state laws, follow bills, and try to get what you want in and I sincerely doubt you would even take the time to see how government works let alone do anything,

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
There is nothing wrong with motorized bicycle laws here in CA, I rather like them.

The requirement for an operators license takes drunks out of the picture.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
There is nothing wrong with motorized bicycle laws here in CA, I rather like them.

The requirement for an operators license takes drunks out of the picture.
Yeah, not counting the "air resources board" which makes it very difficult to sell 2 stroke engines in CA!!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I just got yet another new HS 142F in from gasbike last week and like every other one I have had it has no EPA sticker on it, just a big round 49cc sticker.

The manual does not state the actual CC either but it has power spec and and I took them and Hondas to make this chart of power and used a conversion program for both the HS and Honda's power specs and worked backwards to determine both were within a fraction of 48cc.

As I said and will repeat yet again, I don't care what the fraction is, the base number is 48cc and again in MY state no court in the land is going to screw with you for a fraction of a cc.
Motor displacement is determined by bore and stroke.
It's that simple.

http://m.engines.honda.com/models/model-detail/GXH50

Bore x Stroke 41.8 X 36 mm (Honda specs)
Displacement 49.4 cm3

Therefore a 41.8 cylinder bore with a 36 mm stroke is 49.421931428571376 cubic centimeters.

Your idea of using power specs to calculate the displacement of a motor is ludicrous.

You may wish that the Huasheng 142F motor is 48 cc but wishing will not make it true.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Still going on about my calling my 4-stroke builds legal here in AZ, jezz...

Legal is what the law and court system even bother to enforce and in this town you don't get screwed with for even a 66cc motorized bicycle engine size.

Just to get you off my back about my wording of this cool builds bike listing how about when I advertise this next 4-stroke built I change 'Legal to ride in AZ' to 'So close to legal in AZ if you ever get hassled about engine size I'll come to court with you in defense'?

Maybe then you won't turn my topic about a build I am very proud of into a KC slam fest as another is coming with the help of this $60 off score today and I just came back to this topic to let those that actually looked at the build and not ramble on about wording and may want to build one...

GASBIKE.NET; Order #GasBike80*** (Status: New)
--------------------- ORDER DETAILS ----------------------

Order Status..................New
Order Date....................Dec 24, 2013; 07:10am PST
Order Number..................GasBike80***
Terms and Conditions..........Agreed
Payment Method................PayPal
Payment Status................Completed

Subtotal..............................$349.00
Coupon #XMAS4STROKEKIT................-$60.00
Tax (USA: 0%)...........................$0.00
Shipping (38 lbs)......................$18.58
GRAND TOTAL...........................$307.58

Shipping Method: FedEx Ground Business

---

Unlike the 66cc Skyhawk's that fluctuate widely in price which is great when you can stock up on them @ $139 each delivered (cha-ching), these HS 4G kits have always been $349 so $60 off is a real score for me and if I had the cash on hand I would have scored a couple more.

To those of you looking to go with a new reliable 4-stroke self build DD or JS $60 off today is a true gift I wanted to pass on.

Tang

Sep 29, 2013
Indianapolis
Very nice build. How's the quality of the 4g kit parts. I bought a kit from bikeberry. The kit is crap. Changed out almost everything in it. I might be building a few for some coworkers and such.

.xx.

Tang

The trail life for me.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Very nice build. How's the quality of the 4g kit parts. I bought a kit from bikeberry. The kit is crap. Changed out almost everything in it. I might be building a few for some coworkers and such.

.xx.

Tang

The trail life for me.
Is BB still selling the Stage 3 outdrive?
I haven't had a stich of trouble the 4G's on an HS 142F 49cc 4-stroke and just swapped in a in new 4G for a guy with the Stage 3 that was a nightmare mess inside.