Lurker's V-twin build

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
I managed to adjust the rear triangle and tack it together this weekend. But I think I am going to have to adjust the down tube a bit so that I can wedge a battery in there. I didn't think about that when I was designing the frame. Anyway here is a quick mock up; don't mind the fork I still have to cut an trim it but I don't want to do that till I get some rims and tires.

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Nice project Lurker...

I have an air over hydraulic bender here... never used it !
Would you mind if I posted a pic of it in your thread?
Seems your group is pretty knowledgeable about them and I'm wondering what it is, and how to use it... I need advice!

My kid had said it is for 1 1/8 pipe only...

Tnx
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
This is the bender I got... different than the one posted and the comparison thing.
I never used anything but a rebar bender before!

I dunno if this will bend pipe, or is made to bend tube.
(The dies are somewhere in the pile)

I was told it's for 1 1/8" but have no idea if wall thickness makes a difference.
NO local source of tube, and I haven't yet checked what prices are at aircraft spruce. I always ask for thinwall chrome moly at my local scrapyard, but no joy.
I guess DOM is what I should be looking for...

Is anyone familiar with this machine that can offer tips on how to use it?
It's got a separate hydraulic unit that hooks up to the ram, and I'm pretty sure my compressor is big enough to drive it.

The other bender I got here is from HF and is only for flat stock, or rod???
I don't think it has near the capability as this big one..

I'd really like to be able to fab my own frame!
Tnx for looking
rc

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I have no idea about the bender and its purpose, but it looks badass...... and i find the same problem of finding thin walled tubing, and its just too dear for me to buy new.....

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Lurker: very nice job on the frame. I have run into the same issues you have and know what it takes to figure things out. Keep up the good work.

Hey Rusty I am not sure that bender is going to bend pipe the way you want to make a frame. Can you post some pictures of the type of dies it uses, that would be helpful.

Last edited:

Erich_870

Dec 4, 2009
Alaska
This is the bender I got... different than the one posted and the comparison thing.
I never used anything but a rebar bender before!

I dunno if this will bend pipe, or is made to bend tube.
(The dies are somewhere in the pile)

I was told it's for 1 1/8" but have no idea if wall thickness makes a difference.
NO local source of tube, and I haven't yet checked what prices are at aircraft spruce. I always ask for thinwall chrome moly at my local scrapyard, but no joy.
I guess DOM is what I should be looking for...

Is anyone familiar with this machine that can offer tips on how to use it?
It's got a separate hydraulic unit that hooks up to the ram, and I'm pretty sure my compressor is big enough to drive it.

The other bender I got here is from HF and is only for flat stock, or rod???
I don't think it has near the capability as this big one..

I'd really like to be able to fab my own frame!
Tnx for looking
rc
Rusty,

It looks broken; you should just ship it to me, lol!

You have a full blown tube bender there. Great score! It has interchangeable dies so you can bend almost any size tube under 2 to 2.5 inches. You just need to see what size dies you have and order new ones to match your choice of tube size. That style of bender is very popular with the off-road crowd for building bumpers, slider, exo’s and roll cages.

Does it have a brand name on it anywhere?

Erich

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
:)
It's kinda heavy Erich, and a really stoopid shape that doesn't unbolt.
...it would cost a fortune these days to ship it!

Whoever built it was NOT proud of their work... no name on it besides the clamp at the end of the return spring on the boom.

CCC, I'd like to fab a stretched cantilever styled frame with the motor to the rear of the pedals, seating no higher than the rim, and forward pedals like on a townie bike. Probably a foot, foot and a half longer than customary frames, and lower for improved balance and stability, and less wind resistance.
IMO curved lines are more pleasant to look at than angular creations...
Of course it would be cheaper to contract what I need, but I enjoy learning abt things and building something I can use.
I use the LIFO storage system, and changing daily priorities have buried the dies that came with the machine... I can get at the power unit easily, though.
Harry, there's a couple A & P shops near here where they do repair aircraft, but when I called them about tube they acted like I was from Mars.
If I was a few hundred miles south, everything under the sun is available... but freight is a deal killer!

I had considered a couple of sticks of welded tube that was not DOM just to give it a try, but most folks seem to advise against that.

Tnx, any help I can get to the mfg id or how to use this thing is appreciated.
rc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Agreed!
(if anyone has info, pls send me a PM)

Looking at Lurker's lines, it seems he might consider a smaller front wheel than the rear. I think there is precedent on the racetrack in the interest of cutting wind resistance???

Best
rc

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks guys.

I have been thinking about using Cokers Simplex tires for this build, and as far as I have been able to tell they are compatible with 26x2.25 bicycle rims. I have seen may Simplex motor bikes with regular bicycle tires on factory Simplex rims which leads me to believe that the Coker tires will work.

Does anybody have any experience with a Simplex machine that would be able to help me out?

RickS

Jan 30, 2011
Speonk, NY
Thanks guys.

I have been thinking about using Cokers Simplex tires for this build, and as far as I have been able to tell they are compatible with 26x2.25 bicycle rims. I have seen may Simplex motor bikes with regular bicycle tires on factory Simplex rims which leads me to believe that the Coker tires will work.

Does anybody have any experience with a Simplex machine that would be able to help me out?
Lurker, I've never mounted a Simplex tire on a bicycle wheel, but I just measured my simplex 2" wide wheel @ 22.5" in diameter, my simplex 1" wide drop center wheel @ 22.75" and a 26" mountain bike wheel @ 22.5". The earliest simplex wheels, which I don't have one of, where actually bicycle wheels made by an English company. I do know for certain that the simplex 26 x 2.5 reproduction tire made by Coker will fit on all the simplex rims.

Attachments

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks for the info Rick. I just found this link and it seems that these guys are using Worksmans as replacements for their Simplex bikes. So I assuming that the Cokers will fit.

Rims

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
RickS...... damn!!! If that aint the prettiest wheel...... i love white rims and i love the look of that tyre..... now where to find them in Australia i wonder??????????????