Need Motor Mounts for KTM50 Engine

GoldenMotor.com

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Hi guys I've been trying to find someone that can make me or sells some mounts for the KTM50. My bike is a typical V-Frame bike and I have everything needed for the bike. The engine, carb. air filter, CDI, the bike is already set up with the gas tank/ throttle etc, I even have clamps to help the mounting. All I need is the mounts to be finished. Sadly I do not know how to weld or own a welding machine. Any advice as to where to go from here?

PS. I have looked at other KTM50 builds like Bill's build and he uses those DanPerformance Clamps I have a pair of those clamps as well. Mines are a little different but nonetheless the same.

I have attached a picture of bike. The china 2 stroke will be replaced by the KTM50. I have to look at that motor every day for the last couple of weeks just sitting in my room. Its seriously taunting me! I need it on my bike now! .cs.

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You sure you want that motor in that frame? Put it in something with some style, what's hiding behind that cardboard? May want it in that frame... Where you at in California.

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Hi Bluck, I think it was you that asked me about mounts on my youtube page. I forgot about this guy at the time but I believe he says he can make KTM mounts......... ]http://ghettobike.com/

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
Also forgot in case you didn't know, you have to gear a KTM much lower that you would a china girl, like around a 46t up to 52t depending on what speed or climbing type riding you do.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
You sure you want that motor in that frame? Put it in something with some style, what's hiding behind that cardboard? May want it in that frame... Where you at in California.
I live in California in Pomona. In between Fontana/Los Angeles/Riverside. The inland empire.

Im sure I want this motor in this frame. The biggest reason is that its 100% chromoly. Incase the frame snaps I can go to my local welder and weld the frame back. (I have had a friend needed weldings on his bike before). I also like the upright position of the bike and with the KTM50 engine will keep me in a less relaxed position which is what I want.

Btw that is not cardboard its a blanket placed on top to keep dust and other stuff from getting on the bike. It is a bike that was purchased from Norm(Venicemotorbikes). I will not replace that engine as that engine can go 50mph+(at least thats what norm says I will not be testing that until maybe a month or two from now on GPS. I have not maxed it out btw and pass/keep up with cars on a 45mph zone. The reason is that I did not purchase it with my money its a friend who sent me the money (he works in new mexico) to purchase the bike before someone else bought it. He then gave me the KTM50 engine which he was planning to replace with Norm's engine since he had just purchased it from DAX. He decided not replace the engine and here I am wanting to mount it on mines.

I do have another motorized bike but a friend is currently borrowing it since his car broke down and my only transportation now is my Kawasaki Ninja zx6r 2002. Its an old bike so I get a little nervous not having my motorized bike with me.

The engine on the blue bike that is mounted now, blew on me after 1 mile. It was a brand new motor(I have another post on that). So currently its non functional just my Motorcycle for school.

Attachments

Last edited:

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Also forgot in case you didn't know, you have to gear a KTM much lower that you would a china girl, like around a 46t up to 52t depending on what speed or climbing type riding you do.
Yes! haha that was me that sent you a message on youtube. I read your post on the gear selection and I was kind of expecting that. I plan on getting a 48t sprocket from manic mechanic since I like the guys work. I have a few hills here but nothing that steep so not too worried about hills. I would like to get some great torque and wouldn't mind sacrificing some speed. Here in LA County is mostly slight hills and straights.

I contacted ghettobikes but I never received a response. I sent them a message last night around the time I posted this thread. So I'm still waiting

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
No idea if something like this will work for your engine, but I have successfully mounted 3 79cc predator engines without welding as shown here (steps 40-46): http://www.instructables.com/id/79cc-Motorized-Bicycle-From-Scratch/?ALLSTEPS#step40

Hope this helps!
This helped quite a bit getting me somewhere. Where would someone go get steel plates like this. The only place that I can think of is the junk yard, any place where I can get some steel parts? I could probably get parts and align them to my engine and then just go to a welder and tell him to weld the mounts together and then I can bring them home and just but the mounts on my bike. Would that be a good way to go about it or would the welder need to have my bike there? The only thing is that I don't really trust a welder to mount the motor as he might not think about motor alignment hmm...

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
drill one hole in a plate bolt it to the motor then drill the second hole through the back side of the of the motor, cut to fit done. cro-mo is light and strong but very thin walled, not so easy to weld. Jeff's right, alumium is the way to go, bolt that together good luck

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
This helped quite a bit getting me somewhere. Where would someone go get steel plates like this. The only place that I can think of is the junk yard, any place where I can get some steel parts? I could probably get parts and align them to my engine and then just go to a welder and tell him to weld the mounts together and then I can bring them home and just but the mounts on my bike. Would that be a good way to go about it or would the welder need to have my bike there? The only thing is that I don't really trust a welder to mount the motor as he might not think about motor alignment hmm...
I got mine at home depot and orchard hardware, and a steel yard in my city, but you could easily make do with just stuff from hardware stores. I just wanted 1 1/2" square steel tubing and they only had up to 1 1/4" at the hardware store.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
Thanks guys it has widened my options I'll go check out my hardware stores around here starting with home depot. I'll be going after Wednesday most likely since I have some huge exams this Tuesday and Wednesday. I will also see if there's a steel yard around here. I'll keep you guys posted on what I come up with. Csnt wait to get this motor mounted