Felt QX65 Morini S6-C

GoldenMotor.com

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
Made a heap of progress on the exhaust, figured out i'm going to mount it up front, cut off the stinger and weld the hole shut and make it a center bleed style. spent the last 3 hours cutting a section of 1 5/8" steel tubing. Only problem is, it doesn't fit on the damn exhaust outlet!! :-|| can the outlet on the engine be removed? I was going to put it on a lathe and take off 1-1.5mm. Reason is i've already brought 2 different sections of pipe and i'll be mighty pissed if i have to buy a third. Thanks. oh and sorry Easy, I should'veuploaded photos agess ago but got caught up with work. once i finish the pipe i'll take photos and upload them all.
Thanks

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
for the exhaust flange I simply measured the OD of the exhaust port, went to onlinemetals.com and ordered a piece of tubing with ID that matched OD. Perfect fit first time out. I built up a bunch of extra's for some of the Morini folks here, but DMB got my last one a week ago.

If I get a chance to make some more I will be sure to post for those that need em.

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
THe thing is, I ordered 1 5/8" tubing at 16 guage which should fit like a glove but it just doesn't...... I figured that it's alot cheaper to just take off 1-2mm from the exhaust
edit:
Checked onlinemetals, $90 P+H to aus for a 3" piece of metal......

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
It was std tubing, should be plenty of suppliers down under to help you out. Even if you don't buy from onlinemetals, they list all of the pipe by OD and ID so you can find what fits, then call your local steel supply house and avoid the international shipping.

Somewhere on a previous post I think I even listed the exact size and even posted pics. Search my posts and you will probably find it.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
I found the old thread on my build:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28533

The flange is shown in post #19. It's been awhile since I built the bike, kinda funny going back to see the original thread. I still have the bike, it's got a bunch of miles on it now, but other than going thru a few silencer, the basic build is going strong.

Good luck on getting yours on the road.

Rich

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
Rich was nice enough to give me his last flange and he shipped it for free! i had never met him in person and he goes out of his way to help a stranger on this forum. needless to say one stand up dude. thanks again bro! dennis

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Like I said, that was a black Friday special! Besides, there just aren't enough off-the-shelf components for the Morini's, so we have to help each other out.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
how right you are Rich, i have some old s5n's as part motors. i'm also looking for a s6s top to trade for a h2o top or complete trade. i havent posted this because i dont want pickers turning 4 $$$$ i give to the needy if i can. been there many times... dennis

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
alright, after buying a chinese gasles MIG welder and have it not work properly i have learnt my lesson to never buy cheap chinese crap again. Also ordered another piece of pipe to make a flange, turned out it was too small again! a piece of tubing with specs of 42mm OD and a wall thickness of less than 2mm.... arrived at my door, broke out the vernier calliper to measure and the dam ID was f*cking 38mm! i've given up at this point and am wondering if anyone has a piece of flange for a morini that they want to sell? Also i've been over this before but I've gone back to the same thought of converting to methanol. the CR is already at 15/16:1 so thats not a problem, the only thing i can think of is the jetting in the carb. I know after every run i'd have to flush it out with gas but I dont really care. I live in WA where it gets to 45C at some points in the summer so it would help cool the engine as well as provide more power. I'm fairly certain all I have to do is get a separate carb, jet and tune it for methanol, and i can just switch between the two when i want.

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi SpeedWizard...Just a tip for here in Australia....the pipe is always measured by the internal diameter......When your using Methanol...you wont be able to just swap the carb over.....for it to run efficently... you will need 12 to 1 compression or more...it burns very slowly and you need to have the spark set a 36 deg advanced...if it runs lean you will burn a hole in the piston very quickly....should get 25% more power and will run very cool.... When you run petrol you will need over 100 octane of it will ping like crazy and break the piston rings....sorry to give the good infomation.....
A friend of mine brought a gas less mig..Its not your mig..it the quality of the coated wire....the only way we could get a decent weld was to buy the best quality gas less wire...dam expensive.....I'II stick to renting a bottle of Argo shield 52.....DD

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
Hey DareDevil, thanks for the info about the pipe, as for the compression, the engine comes stock at 16:1. Also 36 deg of advance could actually be a bit much, often there isnt that much advance required, especially in these engines which redline at around 14000rpm so it would already have a decent amount of advance. Also Thanks a heap for the advice on the mig, i brought the wire from aus but it was $5 for a 25ft reel so probably was a chinese import of crap quality. I've never been one to cheap out and the one time i try i pay for it. always buy top quality i guess.... Also you forgot to mention about the required massive jet increase of up to 200%. Thanks a heap for the advice though

DareDevil

Apr 29, 2012
Australia
Hi SpeedWizard.....The methanol will require that sort of advance as it burns very slowly..I raced speedway for over 20 years and only used methanol...its a trial and error to set but once you get it sorted you will only have to run some petrol through the system when your finished for the day....its very corrosive and will gum up the carby...When setting up your carby ..you will have to drill the main jet..airbleeds and emolsion tubes 200-300% flow rate...its better to run rich to start with and then reduce once you get the engine running..you will also need to run an oil that will mix with methanol...I aways used Castrol R....but there are some new oils that will mix you will just have to check them out...I used to run J.A.P engines in the bikes and cars I used to race.....The only 2 stroke I used was a Kawasaki 500 triple...Its not an easy job to set 2 strokes up to run methanol...my main problem was hydraulic lock up..I persisted and got it running....very powerfull against 4 stroke same capacity but expensive to maintain and I didnt run with it for very long...went back to 4 strokes....a lot less trouble...DD

Last edited:

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
alright, so far i've mounted pretty much everything, just waiting on a new rear wheel, hub sprocket adapter, need to mount fuel tank and radiator lines as well. one thing I need to ask, the most convenient place to mount my fuel tank is behind the fron wheel attached to the bike frame, but the Morini is a gravity feed carb, would it work if I tapped a pressure line from the exhaust to the fuel tank? that would force the fuel up and eliminate the need for a pump.

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
Just rode the bike for the first time. it is ridiculously fast... 44t Rear sprocket with a 700c (29") wheel is way too tall though, the clutch only engages properly once i reach 40kph but that will change once the 56t arrives. But man this thing is fast, i was either waiting to overtake or overtaking every car I saw, even on the highway. Still running it in so i wasn't letting the motor wind out but i'm sure i wouldn't want to anyway.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Gear it so the clutch is fully hooked up at speed or you will burn up clutches constantly.
The race threads have lots of good clutch tuning advice as well as gearing suggestions.
Keep in mind the Morini needs MUCH higher rpm to use it's powerband.
I think even the 56 might be too small....

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You need 8-10k rpm to get on the pipe and into the powerband on these screamers.
It's a racing engine.