Morini reliability?

GoldenMotor.com

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I have that motor and I wouldn't classify it as reliable, but a good high performance motor it is. The sound it makes toward redline is simply amazing.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
I really appreciate everyone's posts. Y'all don't hold back good info. That's for sure. I'm glad I'm being steered away from the ktm Molini. I do long distances and can't afford a breakdown. I love bikemotos setup. But it's not stealth enough for when I need to go through urban areas. I may end up with 2 bikes. A commuter bike, and a trip bike. Im getting the clutch fixed on my diamondback tomorrow

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
If you want stealth then get a HS49 and put a couple mufflers on it, I wouldn't mind a setup like that for a touring bike.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
Hey 16v4nrbrgr.. I've googled quite a bit.. Where would you reccomend purchasing a kit. I got another diamondback that I'm looking to do just this with.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I absolutely love my Morini H2o, its built for racing, which means it is loud, and it's a 2 stroke which means the power comes on late in the power band. I don't think it's the best engine for cruising around. did I mention it is a loud 2 stroke= over 10,000 rpm's

If I were to build a bike for commuting or riding through the neighborhood I'd build a 4 stroke like I did for my brother. Honda GX120 is a perfect engine for this, it is also a great engine to race, remove a couple things and your set. it has many aftermarket parts, carbs, cams, flywheel, to get you into the 6-8hp range.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I LOVE my Morinis. I have 3 engines, all S5 series, all from LEM 50s for sale on craigslist. I buy the whole bike (spending from $75 to $150), pull the motor, motor mount, throttle (well made Italian throttles) and brake lever then toss the rest of the bike in the trash heap. Though...I'm looking at the front forks and thinking they'd be cool on a motorized bicycle.

Still looking for a cheap S5-GS but no luck so far. Have seen bikes with the GS motor for $450 which is still cheaper than buying a new Morini motor. Also look for KTM 50's. It's rare to find one for sale cheap but...ya never know!

The Morini's FAR out perform any chinagirl engine. Morini horsepower ranges from 3.5 to 11.3 compared to the Chinagirl's 2.5 and can be used with the SBP shift kit. Since they don't just "bolt on" like the Chinagirl expect to have to fabricate mounting brackets.

Last edited:

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I think the older style that are still technically "Morini" and not the Beta continuation "KTM" 2003+ engine and clones have advantages in terms of reliability due to the larger cooling fins, better cylinder head, and externally mounted ignition that resists overheating.

KTM contracted Beta to make the newer style motors and the racing magneto included on them is more susceptible to heat damage because its inside the case. The jug has less cooling fins than the older Morini as well as the head. I still think its a great deal for an engine and the advantage of the new motor is being able to find affordable aftermarket parts, although they may need to be changed more often.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
http://www.morinifrancousa.com/engines.htm
Why not?
Is it that fast?
I don't know if camlifter was referring to horsepower or gear ratio but in regard to your question "is it that fast" the answer would be "it's that powerful".

Depending on the model, Morini engines produce 3.2 to 11.3 horsepower (see http://www.morinifrancousa.com/engines.htm for engine stats) which is considerably more than the China Girl engines can produce.

By changing changing the engine to wheel sprockets (more teeth on engine sprocket, less teeth on rear wheel sprocket) you can get a higher top speed than you can from the stock china girl kit sprockets.

But, for every plus, there's a minus. Changing sprocket ratio for increased top speed also increases the load on the engine. The tradeoff is, higher top speed = less power the engine has to get you there. This will really be noticed when you find yourself having to pedal assist to get up hills.

But that same sprocket ratio with a higher horsepower engine, the power loss will be less noticeable. The higher the horsepower, the less noticeable.

So Morini's can be significantly faster than the China Girls.

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm really not an expert on the subject but Morini engines are no longer in production. You might be able to find an "inexpensive" used motorcycle with the later S6 models. I've gotten all my Morini engines that way and never paid more than $100, but they're all older S5 engines. This website will tell you which bikes used S6 engines: Morini Model Information.

Only place I've heard of that sells new Morini engines is Herdan.com. I have no idea how they acquired them but I' sure they'd be happy to ship one to you.

I built my Acme with an engine I pulled from an LEM that I bought for $75.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
no!no! that's too old, no coil, way to much money. your better of with a cr80, kz65 ktm65 any newer MXer but on a bicycle... hold on!!! stick with a 50cc 2 stroke single speed unless in poland you can get away with it just make sure the bike can handle the h.p. and stop like a motorcycle. good luck dennis

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
no!no! that's too old, no coil, way to much money. your better of with a cr80, kz65 ktm65 any newer MXer but on a bicycle... hold on!!! stick with a 50cc 2 stroke single speed unless in poland you can get away with it just make sure the bike can handle the h.p. and stop like a motorcycle. good luck dennis
Yes, listen to dmb...where I'm not, he IS the expert!!
And what he said about the brakes and the bike handling the h.p.;

I've seen bent and cracked bicycle frames even from the china girl motors. Bicycle frames aren't designed for the kind of stress a motor will put on them. Bikes built to be lightweight are more likely to crack than older or cheaper bikes with thicker steel tubing in the frames.

Stopping power is I think the most important safety aspect of any bicycle, motorized or not. And a higher horsepower motor needs better braking, especially on the front wheel where most of your braking power is. Disc, roller or drum brake is the way to go. I like the Shimano Nexus Roller brake on my btr. No pads or shoes to wear out. Just have to keep them well greased.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
hardly the expert. in fact i show up for the races but for some reason my morini's don't! but i have so much fun i don't care... well maybe a little. i'll be back. dennis

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I have to agree with Dennis. That's too much $ for a motor that looks like a plant is growing out of the carb. I say spend a little more now instead of paying a lot more later.