Replace Tube/Tire or Not

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
The tires & tubes on my Dyno are an unknown age. The tires are apparently original to the Dyno Roadster because of the markings. In raised white letters it says: Dyno and Super Slick. I went over every inch of the tires with a magnifying glass and there is NO cracks or marks. I think they are okay but not sure. The tubes are...well...tubes! They appear to be okay also.

Should I trust them or not? Maybe just replace the tubes? What does everybody think?

Terry

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
*shrug* If there's no signs of rot - why not run 'em I figure?

I'd jus' take it easy for the first few miles and check them for signs of undue wear/cracking, but eight years isn't that bad for tires unless they were stored outside...

I'd be inclined to replace the tubes, but there's no real reason beyond paranoia ;)

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
It was stored outside for a little over a year once. I know that for car tires that would be too old to use. I think your right about using the tires and keeping a close eye on them. I'm trying to keep the initial cost down on the build and that would help.

Terry

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Take em off and put em on your pedal bike if you are at all worryed. Good excuse to buy some new tires. :)

Also note if the tread is worn down you are more likey to get punctures.

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Brand new bike. Right after I cleaned and regreased both hubs and the crank the first thing I did was replace the tubes with thornproof slime tubes. Haven't had a flat tire and don't expect to.