Strumey Archer

GoldenMotor.com

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Looked for a three speed Archer and it seems there are several different styles. Which one is the best all around hub to get? Looks like a good buy to me.

I do know way back when I had a 3 speed Schwinn the thing got so it would slip out of gear and ouches were in store. . . . . gphil

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
Thanks for the heads up. I would like the drum brake over the coaster anytime on a motorbike. The one on the current bike lasted no time. I had rim and coaster on all wheels. Thanks once more. gphl

gphil

Jan 9, 2011
USA Georgia
I, now that I see the pictures above , going to do just the same. J- shaft then on back to the hub . Want the brake hub in front. A little work to lace but what it is all about.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Forgive me, but I can't remember if I mentioned the matching drum brake front hub I'd reco would be the 3w dynamo hub with 90mm drum brake, the XL-FDD: http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/2/id/48.html

The bike pictured has the older, smaller X-FDD dyno with the 70mm drum, stopping power is sufficient - but not impressive, thus the reco for the 90's. The drums all have pretty much no maintenance requirements however, a nice change from rim brakes & even discs require more attention, little though that may be.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I have an older 70mm drum brake 3 speed which I've added an old Suntour Perfect 5 speed cog to, using a really old Sturmey threaded driver. I modded this after by removing the 14 tooth, 5th gear cog so it's really a 12 speed instead of a 15 speed.

Leaves the front chainrings free for a shift kit.

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
I bought the XL-FDD last year. I love the brake, it is the 90-mm and haven't had to work on it yet. I have put over 2,000 miles on it since I strung it into my rim with help from sheldonbrown.com. The Dynamo itself is also excellent and is able to cope with the added speed without burning up.

I was going to go with the XL-RD3 but decided to do direct drive. I had also read some discouraging reviews about it. Now that I have someone experienced saying that they work just fine under a jackshaft, I might buy it now. I just love the drum brakes, especially the 90's...