Custom Aluminum Cylinder Tank Build

GoldenMotor.com

Wheeled Relics

Aug 18, 2013
Portland, Or
I am currently working with a manf of go-kart fuel tanks to produce a small run of motorized bicycle cylinder tanks that will fit double-bar design bicycle frames.

My initial design is for a cylinder tank that will fit between a range of straight moto-bike style doublebar and bent-bar frames.

Round Aluminum Tank Tapered Ends
2.75" Dia x 11" Long (fitting between most doublebars)
1.5" Offset Filler
Bottom rear offset down-spout/petcock

I would like some input from the motorized bicycle community on desired specs of tanks of this simple cylinder design to fit in double bar frames.

End product cost would be in the 100$ range

Dave

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
A very noble idea. The challenge it seems, in my opinion is making a universal tank that is also practical. Your dimensions of 2.75'"x 11" only yields just a little over a quarter gallon in volume.

Wheeled Relics

Aug 18, 2013
Portland, Or
These are the kinds of things i need to hear.

Another option would be to taper the back end of this tank into a cone increasing capacity of the tank... and taking fuller advantage of most bent bar and double bar geometry.

skitchfish

Oct 27, 2010
Michigan
Maybe coming up with a universal taper for the head tube in the front and tapering the rear. Every little bit of length and diameter counts of course. Looking through early vintage motorcycle photos there does appear to be tanks shaped like this.

Is your manufacturer only able to produce cylinders? How about something oval or oblique?

Wheeled Relics

Aug 18, 2013
Portland, Or
The manf has tooling setup to produce cylinder tanks very easily thus keeping my costs down, oval and oblique shapes will be outside of the possibilities of the existing setups.

The tapered idea front and back seems the best yet, as this would fit the front geometry of the tank more snug in the frame, and give more capacity while utilizing the available space in the frame...

Let me know what you want to see and I'll draw up some diagrams tonight.

Maybe coming up with a universal taper for the head tube in the front and tapering the rear. Every little bit of length and diameter counts of course. Looking through early vintage motorcycle photos there does appear to be tanks shaped like this.

Is your manufacturer only able to produce cylinders? How about something oval or oblique?

MopedLover

Feb 20, 2014
Flagstaff, Arizona
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=45435

Kind of like Wild Bill's tanks in his builds. But his builds don't have fairings attached to the tanks

http://motopeds.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/2e31f36f76573215425e1eb83593f571_large.jpg

Would be cool to see tanks like this but instead of plastic attaching around the frame where the tank is mounted , it'd be cool if decorational fairings were integrated into the tank to begin with when it's built.

I think cool thing about these tanks would be it would give motorcycle looks to motored bikes without having to measure the frame clearance where the tank fits in. You could probably bolt one right on to the top of an MTB frame