from walmart cruiser to......whatever this is lol

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have to wait for a night when its not wet and raining to go for a ride and see how I like it. I do have a toggle switch for the light, mounted on my handlebars. i can actually control it while driving without moving my hand off the throttle. so when i do need to turn the light off, it would only be for a few seconds till i got going again.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
in any case, my headlight wasnt designed to run on alkaline batteries or nicads. it probably could, but it might not be a good idea. the seller's description didnt say anything about it. they did say that it could be run on a sealed 6v battery with a 1amp inline fuse. the fuse is probably to keep the light or the battery from overheating. and if there could possibly be heat issues with using this thing with a sealed battery, then you probably dont want to run it on rechargeables.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
went for a few test rides after some experimenting with the exhaust today, not really intending to check anything out with the light, but it was dark enough, so i switched my light on, i was completely happy. it reflected off traffic signs and the beam shone nice and bright. this light probably is small enough to fit inside a carbide light, but be aware that it grounds to the frame.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
today i found out something interesting. when i go for test rides, which usually just consist of going down the alley behind my house and around the corner to right back in front of my house, my seat seems very comfortable to me, even though i have adjusted the springs several times. well, i must have got it right this time. when i was actually on the road today, i noticed that if i sat in the right position, the seat was not uncomfortable at all. i mean, it wasnt like sitting on a pillow, but it wasnt bad at all.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
picked up a worksman front drum wheel at the east coast rally today for $35. tomorrow inspecting and adjusting or whatever if needed. will post pics after.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
$35, score!

I have one and is as true as the day I put it on. Been on 3 bikes that I can recall. Love the way it looks.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I didnt get a chance to take any pics yet. as soon as I got done working on my bike, we got a bad storm here. I will get some pics tomorrow and post them. I did get the drum working pretty good though. I needed a different brake lever to put enough force on the drum to get the shoes to grab good, but its working. I took a piece of aluminum stock and made a strap to hold the arm in place, since my fork doesnt have a post for a drum. its working pretty good, and I am very happy.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Happy is awesome.

The stopping power is not great. Kinda anti lock braking. It is more then good enough for tooling around but will not lock ya in place like a disk. I use side pulls with it for emergency stops.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a heavy duty rear coaster brake as well, and the two together stop me pretty good. I had a front cantilever brake, and was always having problems with pads. hard pads wear my rim and soft pads dont last. i wont have that problem with the drum.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Dan, are these shoes in good shape? I never had a drum brake before, so I have no idea what I should be looking for lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Look fine BBB. Mine are at least 3 years old with lots of miles and pretty much look just like that. Really like almost every thing they make. Most are intended for industrial use and they really seem to make every thing stout and long lasting.

Coolest lookin' MB wheel ever, eh? Dunno, I just like the old school look of them.

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
yeah, the look is half the reason I wanted one lol. I'm glad to hear the shoes are good. That definitely means I got a great deal. I have more pics to post, but right now I have to get my day started and I'm also dealing with a situation where I'm trying to help my brother get out of a bad situation, plus I have a little more work to do on my bike today. So probably will post pics later this evening.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My brother is moving in with us, and with some of the money he will be giving us for rent, I will be able to order a new pipe. So in a couple weeks, I will finally have a decent pipe. I been eyeballing the torquer II pipe from arrow cycles.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
got my front drum working real good now, even better than before. it stops me waaaay better than rim brakes EVER did. probably not quite as quick as a disc brake, but pretty quick, and using my coaster and front drum at the same time, I can pretty much stop on a dime if I want to. love it. ordering my new pipe next week, and then I think I will have everything I want for my bike.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I will have another update in a few days. I ordered the "Torquer II" exhaust pipe from Arrow Cycles yesterday. It will ship out tomorrow, and I should have it by Wednesday at the latest. I spoke to Dave on the phone Tuesday, and he informed me that he ships priority. Thats awesome, because it could take a lot longer coming from Cali to PA. So when the new pipe gets here, I will have more pics to post as well as comments on the performance of the pipe.