Started first build, pics inside!

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Building a Skyhawk GT2A w/ Grubee GT5. Steel wheels, sun lite fork, etc.

Started here...

Today I got it back. Did the paint myself. Use primer folks.

I put the motor on. Need to do the clutch, cdi, tuning, almost had it running but I need to tweek the exhaust pipe under the frame to clear the pedals.

Moar pics tmrw. Time for a sandwich and a hot bath :)

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
A few notes so far:

Have a bike mechanic.
-If you are doing a GT2a frame, the axle of the wheels that come from PistonBikes are too short.

Also Frank, my mechanic said that **it doesn't fit right because everything came from a different source. I needed special crank bearing, a 1 1/8" fork, a longer rear axle, the list goes on.The bike is fine though. But ya know.

-The chain from the motor was way too long. It broke a chain punch because... it's the nature of the beast.

-Also the motor did not sit %100 on the frame. Had to make a spacer on the bracket and tap it into place on the seat tube.

-Use 7/8" handle bars.

-I would say that Sunlite beach cruiser products are good. The forks are nice. Would've picked a handlebar too and brakes and stuff.

-Those cheap mechanical speedometers suck. They are clunky and the screws they come with are too short.

-Take advantage of the bikes v brakes drop outs.

-I have a 'magnetic ashtray'. It's a life saver. It's a metal dish with a big ol' magnet to pick up screws and you can put on the freezer or something while you tinker.

In typical man-fashion I lost the instruction manual. I've built enough bikes and airsoft guns and car ports and barbecues and fences to know how to do put this stuff together. CDI comes later.

MOST IMPORTANTLY GET WIDE-OFFSET PEDALS.

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Ahah! it is! it's fast and loud! had to take the butt off of the exhaust, not enough flow otherwise.

Thanks to everyone. Special kudos to my man HuffyDavidson and Uncle Crusty's bike shop.

Last edited:

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
I ordered an NGK B6HS and new plug boot from Sickbikeparts.com

Running with no exhaust cap, dies in idle. Very fun, smooth ride. Wouldn't trade it to get my car back!

.trk