Motor dies after it warms up.

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have to assume because you posted this in the 2 stroke section that you have a Chinese 2 stroke engine. Correct?
There have been some reports of CDI failure accounting for the problem you're having. When they're cold/cool, they work fine but after some time they will stop working due to an internal failure. If you have a spare try changing the CDI.
One other thing I can think of is fuel tank venting. If the cap doesn't vent correctly the engine will run for a while then starve for fuel. You might want to check that fuel is flowing from the tank to the carburetor when the engine dies.
Check your wiring and make sure nothing is working loose. Check the connections from the engine to the CDI and the spark plug wire and boot.
Only check one thing at a time so you'll know what works and what doesn't. Let us know if these suggestions helps. There could be other reasons but let's start with the simple ones first.
Tom

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
sorry should have told you, it is a Chinese two stroke engine. i will try your suggestions out tomorrow. I took it out again after i originally posted today and found that i can let off the of the throttle and just roll and the engine will stay running, but as soon as i pull the clutch its off.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Please let us know what you discover.
In the interim make sure your choke is open and working properly. It's not uncommon for the choke plate to loosen on the shaft that moves it and will not allow it to go fully open, or closed. Check that along with the other suggestions.
Tom