Ddm 460rs race engine help??

GoldenMotor.com

bigalan

Dec 26, 2010
jupiter, florida
ANYONE USED THIS ENGINE FROM DAVES DISCOUNT MOTORS ON A BIKE BUILD?

I WANT TO PUT IT ON A FRICTION OR CHAIN DRIVE TO THE REAR TIRE OF MY TADPOLE RECUMBENT BIKE.

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS USED THIS YET AND HOW IT WORKED FOR THEM?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!
THANXzpt

oldtimer54

May 15, 2010
On a bike
ANYONE USED THIS ENGINE FROM DAVES DISCOUNT MOTORS ON A BIKE BUILD?

I WANT TO PUT IT ON A FRICTION OR CHAIN DRIVE TO THE REAR TIRE OF MY TADPOLE RECUMBENT BIKE.

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS USED THIS YET AND HOW IT WORKED FOR THEM?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!
THANXzpt
What motor I dont see no motor?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Well I don't how they go on our bike builds, but a few people on the forum here are running them. I bought 2 of them from DDM and they are on the radical end of the spectrum of Chinese 2-strokes. I bought the Trevor Simpson ported head-kit and the TS reed block as well, with the DDM Dominator® Silenced Expansion Chamber with the stinger reducer and it is INSANE! My trickest engine of the 2 turns over 20,000rpm and puts out around 6.5 hp. They are a great high-revving engine and can't be beat for the money.....even stock. The TS parts are quite expensive but man they make the GP 460 a screamin animal. Ya gotta run the clutch-saver spings on them for all practical purposes, unless you don't mind your clutch engaging at approx 8,000rpm.....and I am not kidding!

These are some pics of my "not quite as trick" but all clad in chrome GP 460 on a stand-up scoot.....it's a single speed and I've had it up to 52 mph on flat ground, these little 46cc engines ARE scary FAST !!!

URL=http://img193.imageshack.us/i/img0280ek.jpg/]
[/URL]

URL=http://img233.imageshack.us/i/img0715t.jpg/]
[/URL]

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I love the shape of that pipe the end cone looks choice to me Scott.
Thanks, it is a sweet pipe for sure, I've got one that's black on my other GP 460 (also known as a CY 46). That chrome pipe has a rounded head allen bolt screwed (tapped) in at the end of the cone, the black one doesn't.....not sure what it's there for? The engine is dusty and filthy in the pics......

that last pic is the stinger reducer....it really makes a difference in performance and sound level....it's a must.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
With these motors turning over 20,000rpm. Hows the crank balance on these? I mean is the Idle pretty rough and then smoother and at what rpm? Also where would you say the power curve is on it? Last what is the average life span on the C clutches that you have seen?

I got to say I am starting to like the looks of these center bleed pipes more and more.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
With these motors turning over 20,000rpm. Hows the crank balance on these? I mean is the Idle pretty rough and then smoother and at what rpm? Also where would you say the power curve is on it? Last what is the average life span on the C clutches that you have seen?

I got to say I am starting to like the looks of these center bleed pipes more and more.
OK, the cranks must be extremely well balanced in that there is very little vibration at all on these screamers and that they run ultra smooth with explosive power.....much like a Morini really. They idle flawlessly and smooth and pull hard from the bottom-end right through to the top and thinking they're peak hp is around 16-18,000 rpm. I have had very few clutch issues with these motors which surprises me. I think I've only replaced one clutch after several thousand miles and broken only one clutch spring. They are a different kind of 3-shoe design and hold up well for the abuse I give them. The only problems I've had with these engines is the stock clutch spings must be replaced with the softer ones that DDM sell's, then the power is managable instead of like an on/off switch. The other thing is they have a certain way of breaking them in, I found out the hard way on my first one. It's all about heat cycles and I wouldn't use full synthetic oil until after the ring is seated properly. The plating that lines these cylinders is thin....very thin and if you screw it up, you'll endup having to buy a new jug. It is highly recommended to run 25:1 gas/oil mix and that is one of the reasons also. It's a super high revver with a single ring so ya wanna break it in right. This is very unlike the Tanaka 47R's I used to run and race where to break them in, ride em like you stole em rotfl Hope I answered your questions ok?

so-

Last edited:

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I have been using a unmodified Gp460 on a scooter guy type shift kit for a while.
Pros
The engine is the most bang for your buck.
You do not have to use the expensive dominator pipe a sick bike parts tuned pipe or one similar works just fine.

Cons the awful clutch springs will need to be replaced with the ones Staton sells for a gp460 They have lasted for about a yeart so far for me.
Or just get a 9 dollar pocket bike clutch replacement from ddm.

The stock pull starter will make you cry when it destroys your flywheel. Ddm copied chevys 4 me"s replacement pull starter setup from goped nation.

255 for the engine and about 50 for the replacement clutch or the good clutch springs and a working pull starter.

The cylinder liner has a nasty tendency to gall and peel off if the fuel mixture changes.
I live in the desert 120 plus in the summer.
The extreme cold jelled the castor in my fuel mix and the the liner is peeling off.
I caught it too late and ran a very oil poor mix through my engine .
A new liner piston ring c clips is 80 from ddm. . The cylinder and piston will be replaced next month.

A happy time would have died many times from the speeds that a 460 will propel you.
If I miss a shift .The freewheel axle derailer and chain are toast.

I am very happy with the performance.
My gp460 produces around 5 hp .

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Scotto, it's too bad that reducer isn't an inch longer, so I could run a short pipe and a lawnmower muffler.

This Dominator pipe is LOUD! even with the hose and muffler. The exhaust pointed directly at my butt and the mounting bracket needed repositioning on my friction drive. My friend Rick runs a Dom pipe on his 460/Staton/NV build. This pipe will NOT clear the Staton gearbox unless you cut and reposition the pipe. Rick cut and rewelded his pipe. It works VERY well for him now.

I have a spare Dom pipe, so I might cut/weld it to fit one of my projects. In the meantime, I'll run my SBP expansion pipe on my 460. It is EXTREMELY quiet, more quiet than the stock muffler. The SBP might not be as powerful as the DOM, but it is so docile, especially in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

My 460 engine might be producing about 5 hp.

My friend Rick and I break clutch springs on a regular basis. It's probably due to the bumper-to-bumper traffic we ride in, and maybe the fact that we never pedal our bikes from a standing start.xct2

Last edited: