Whizzer CVT Trans/Clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
From what I've been reading, the Whizzer Ambassador used to have a CVT style clutch/drive thingy. The new ones don't have this. Seems to me that a CVT would really help with take off power, hill climbing power and cruising rpm. Am I correct on what I'm saying that they used to have this but don't any longer? Is there an aftermarket CVT that would fit up to a Whizzer?

Hi fredgold52,

The vintage Whizzer Ambassador came equiped with the manual clutch. It was possible to install the automatic clutch [made by Salisbury in CA] as an option. The Ambassador was only made one year, 1951, and only came in black with ivory trim and with 24" wheels. As a youth in Ohio I owned 2 Ambassadors [not at the same time].

The new edition Ambassador were produced with an automatic clutch [very few of the Ambassadors with the automatic clutch were produced, I have one].and the later Ambassador II were equiped with a CVT.

The CVT makes the motor very wide, and I perfer the slimer automatic version, and the higher cruising speed.

Have fun,