Motor Rear Mount Thruster Fixie Progress

GoldenMotor.com

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
When I bit the bullet to build a motorized bicycle I didn't realize how many little hurdles there would be. And I think the kit I bought was a bit more crappy than BGF :( as far as I can see form pictures. Anyway, I'm building up my Thruster fixie. The v shape let me down a bit because if I mounted the rear using the stock mount the carb was at an angle and using the front mount set the rear off but the carb was level. I found one post where they used three U bolts in the rear so I've made one with two that will hopefully work. I don't have a shop or drill press so the work isn't as clean as I'd like... Thankfully I had a damaged aluminum preamplifier faceplate that was thick enough to use. The center holes attach to the engine and the U bolts will go to the frame with plates pressing against the tube. Of course the hardware store only had one U !!!! WHY!! is that always the case!!! Will post pics when it's finished.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Hola MB maniacs!

Wow! As you go along you really do find out what's crap and not. The chain tensioner? I agree with y'all on that one! I put some spacers on the axel and managed to shorten the chain nicely though the pedal side has some slack but for now and testing It'll do.

Hoping with fingers crossed that my rear engine bolts/mount will hold. I have apposing nuts and washers so???

Still need to buy a kill switch as this came with no ks and really crappy imo parts. I have the kind of emotions that send me reeling and there was a bit of screaming as problems arose. Little by little though.

Best wishes,
Xeta

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Good morning, yup, even posted some pics here somewhere. The sprocket indents lined up perfectly. I had plans of drilling and inserting locking pins but ended up drilling three holes where the sprocket meets the hub. Filled all threads including lockring and holes with JB Weld :0 I found that the Quando hub is thought to be crap and figured I'd make this permanent.

In retro maybe I should have gone with a cruiser frame like the Karaoke but I was noobie and smitten with the fixie idea. Not sure how everything will hold up. I'll know in a day or two duhnn duhnn duhnnn ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
xetaprime, If you do have issues with any of the mounting you've done here it will be the rear studs, these studs take the biggest beating of all and are the most common to break.

It doesn't hurt a thing for these engines to be mounted in a position that has the carb. at an angle, all three of my bikes have the carbs at an angle and they all work great and have for hundreds of miles.

If you do have an issue with the rear studs breaking since you have them extended some far out, just remove that mount youmade and mount the engine solid to the seat post tube like it was meant to be and then use a good studdy extended mount to secure the engine at the front and you should eliminate the troubles if you should have them.

I hope it works out great and causes you zero problems, but I am a bit concerned about the length of those rear studs, I had many trouble in the begginning myself in that area until I realized that having that rear mounted solid to the frame is a must on these engines.

Peace, map

xetaprime

Aug 31, 2011
florida
Thanx mapbike, that's reassuring. I'd read quite a few posts about keeping it level OY!

I'm hoping the long washers and fixing it with both clamps will take the pressure off- but I knew they would be long doing this... do I like to gamble ;) Also at least if they do snap, it won't be the bolts on the engine...

Best wishes,
Xeta

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Xeta,

You may have a set up that never gives you a minutes worth of trouble which we hop eis the case, and yes you are right, if something does give it will not be the bolts in the engine and that is a big plus for sure.

Once again I hope this works out great in everyway.

Here are some pics of a couple of my bikes that have the carbs sitting at an angle, they run great, no problems.

Peace, map

Thanx mapbike, that's reassuring. I'd read quite a few posts about keeping it level OY!

I'm hoping the long washers and fixing it with both clamps will take the pressure off- but I knew they would be long doing this... do I like to gamble ;) Also at least if they do snap, it won't be the bolts on the engine...

Best wishes,
Xeta

Attachments

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
xeta, i had my engine almost exactly like you have yours.
i did it for the same reason. everybody said to keep it level.
i had so many problems till i got rid of all that & put it on the bike the way it was designed.
my carb is tilted but i have no issues.
what i did was take hours & hours to get both chains & a good tension.
also i cut one of the aluminium blocks in half w/a dremel to get the distance i needed.

if you take the time to get both chains tensioned w/o an idler pulley, & you also get a good chain & mount the engine mounted securely, you will not have half the problems most people have @ first.