EDITED.

Here is what a moped is and needs:

50cc or lower engine

Not to exceed 30mph on flat surface

headlight visible for 500 feet or yards

Rear red Reflector or Light

Bell or Audible warning device

Must have a normal Class C drivers license

Must have a registration decal and be registered (valid for 3 years - costs about $5)

If you would like to register your motor bike here is what you need to do.

Download this form and print it out:

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/mv_dir/formspdf/2579.pdf

Fill out the form. Your bike serial number is on your bottom bracket. If you do not have a receipt for your bicycle then contact (303) 205-5600‎ and ask the Colorado State Motor Vehicle: General Info and ask someone what you need to do to register your bicycle.Have a witness sign that your drivers license info is legit. Date and Sign your name on the form also.

When I called the number I asked what I needed to do. Basically just fill the form out the best you can and include a note about how you added an engine to the bike. I also didn't know what to put in for the year so I put 1990s. Hopefully the form gets approved. I will let you know.

Get a money order or check and mail it into the address. Alternatively if you can find a registered moped dealer they can register the moped for you but I had no luck finding one.

If you purchased the bike as a complete unit consider filling out this in conjunction with the person you purchased it from; http://www.larimer.org/motorv/billofsale.pdf. Get a receipt from the person you purchased it from too.

Get a check or money order for $5.25 and make it payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue. If its through a dealer then the dealers name.

Mail it in to the address provided and wait. I will let you know once I get mine.

More info.

Loveland Police Department

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/sheriff_uploads/scooters.pdf

City & County of Broomfield

Research for yourself do not trust any information but what you see on government websites. Even then you might need a lawyer.

More on electric engines here 97-038

do not know of any provisions that separate a motor-assisted bicycle or pedal assisted-bicycle into a different category then a moped. Would Appreciate any local input on there experiences with the law and whatnot.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here is a article I came across................ FMPD Bulletin: Rules of road apply to motorized bikes : policecourts : FortMorganTimes.com, Fort Morgan, CO

FMPD Bulletin: Rules of road apply to motorized bikes

By ROGER DOLL
Monday, May 11, 2009

As the warm whether arrives, more and more people are enjoying being outside and going places. The freedom, economy and fun of scooter-style motorized bikes have us seeing many more of these vehicles on the road.

While these forms of transportation are enjoyable to ride, there are some specific rules that must be followed and we often receive questions about what the laws are.

The following information is intended to answer some general questions we have received regarding these motor-scooters/motorized bikes/mopeds. If, after reading this information, you have additional questions, please feel free to speak with an officer about your concerns by calling 867-5678.

Under Colorado law, these vehicles are considered motorized bicycles and are defined as follows:

• The engine must have a cylinder capacity no greater than 50 cc.

• It has two or three wheels.

• It must have an automatic transmission.

• It must have a “design speed” of not more than 30 mph on a flat surface.

Registration: Every motorized bicycle needs to be registered with its stamped identification number. This is not the same as your regular vehicle registration. They need to be registered with the state Department of Revenue for a fee of $5.25. The registration lasts for three years. Upon registering the vehicle, you will receive a decal that must be placed in a conspicuous place on the frame of the vehicle. No license plate is required.

Driver's License: Operators of motorized bikes and mopeds must possess a valid driver's license. No special endorsement is required.

Insurance: While Colorado law does not require a moped/motorized bike to be insured, it is strongly suggested that insurance coverage be obtained before operating any motorized vehicle on a public roadway.

Other Requirements: Any motorized bike or moped operated on a public roadway where travel is permitted must abide by all normal traffic rules. These include but are not limited to:

• Forward-facing light visible from 500 feet.

• Rear facing reflector or lamp.

• Must have a horn or audible signal that can be heard from 100 feet away.

• An affixed brake that would skid if used on a dry surface.

• The numbers of passengers cannot exceed the number it is designed for.

• Motorized bicycles shall ride as close to the right side of the roadway as practicable.

It is also worth mentioning here that Colorado has a helmet law for minors. This law states that any person under the age of 18 who is operating or riding on a motorcycle or motorized bicycle must wear a helmet.

In summary — motorized bicycles can be operated on city streets PROVIDED: they are registered with the Department of Revenue, the operator has a valid driver's license, they stay along the right edge or in a bike lane, and the required equipment is on the vehicle. Motorized bicycles are treated like a car or truck and must follow all regulations and guidelines pertaining to them.

If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Fort Morgan Police Department at 867-5678.

— Roger Doll is the community resource officer for the Fort Morgan Police Department. FMPD bulletin is an occasional series providing crime alerts, prevention tips and other useful information from the local police department.

skyhawk217

Aug 24, 2009
Decatur, IL
This sucks! i am going to be visiting Fort Collins next week and wanted to bring my MB to whiz around town. now it seems i have to be licensed, etc.? i live in illinois and need no licensing of any kind, and the funny part is my engine came from Dax in denver. haha. cant ride the damn thing where it came from. se la vie, i guess. back to that primitive pedaling business on the "reg" mtn bike.

Josh01

May 25, 2011
US
EDITED.

Here is what a moped is and needs:

50cc or lower engine

Not to exceed 30mph on flat surface

headlight visible for 500 feet or yards

Rear red Reflector or Light

Bell or Audible warning device

Must have a normal Class C drivers license

Must have a registration decal and be registered (valid for 3 years - costs about $5)

If you would like to register your motor bike here is what you need to do.

Download this form and print it out:

Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:

Fill out the form. Your bike serial number is on your bottom bracket. If you do not have a receipt for your bicycle then contact (303) 205-5600‎ and ask the Colorado State Motor Vehicle: General Info and ask someone what you need to do to register your bicycle.Have a witness sign that your drivers license info is legit. Date and Sign your name on the form also.

When I called the number I asked what I needed to do. Basically just fill the form out the best you can and include a note about how you added an engine to the bike. I also didn't know what to put in for the year so I put 1990s. Hopefully the form gets approved. I will let you know.

Get a money order or check and mail it into the address. Alternatively if you can find a registered moped dealer they can register the moped for you but I had no luck finding one.

If you purchased the bike as a complete unit consider filling out this in conjunction with the person you purchased it from; http://www.larimer.org/motorv/billofsale.pdf. Get a receipt from the person you purchased it from too.

Get a check or money order for $5.25 and make it payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue. If its through a dealer then the dealers name.

Mail it in to the address provided and wait. I will let you know once I get mine.

More info.

Loveland Police Department

http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco/sheriff_uploads/scooters.pdf

City & County of Broomfield

Research for yourself do not trust any information but what you see on government websites. Even then you might need a lawyer.

More on electric engines here 97-038

do not know of any provisions that separate a motor-assisted bicycle or pedal assisted-bicycle into a different category then a moped. Would Appreciate any local input on there experiences with the law and whatnot.
Hi Cr9ck,

Thank you very for give us this information, its really helpful for us.mostly thanks for that you have give form download and and other info link.

Regards
Josh McDowell
Colorado Springs Lawyers
xct2