Clutch/Gears/Engine Seized Up???

GoldenMotor.com

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
So I just bought an 80 cc 2-stroke from PowerKingShop on eBay. I installed it yesterday and have been driving it around today. I'd say I've put about 5 miles on it. I have not been rodding it, doing my best to keep it at about 1/2 throttle. So I parked it for a couple of hours and went out to ride it again.

Everything was normal until I popped the clutch to start the engine -- the back wheel seized and skidded to a stop rather than the engine turning over! Now the engine drive chain is completely seized. The chain and everything looks normal.

It doesn't matter if I have the clutch engaged or not, the chain and drive wheel will not move at all! Not only that the engine will not turn over -- no matter how hard I peddle the back wheel will not move! Normally you can make the engine turn over by peddling with the clutch handle out, but now it is impossible to peddle at all because the chain is locked up. The clutch adjustment is okay, what could be wrong?

help!

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Most likely the chain is bunched up / wedged in by the front sprocket under the front sprocket cover....this can be cause by a number of factors such as: too loose a chain, stiff links, poor sprocket teeth profiles, poor sprocket alignment...

This is the most likely cause....if it's not we'll have to put our thinking caps on again....

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
HI,

Most likely the chain is bunched up / wedged in by the front sprocket under the front sprocket cover....this can be cause by a number of factors such as: too loose a chain, stiff links, poor sprocket teeth profiles, poor sprocket alignment...

This is the most likely cause....if it's not we'll have to put our thinking caps on again....

Hope this helps you.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew, I actually already did fix the problem. I accidentily posted the same thread twice, so the other one explains what happened...Plus I'm not sure how do delete my threads.

To your credit what you explained with the chain bunching up was exactly the problem! I believe the chain became too loose because the idle tensioner slid forward on the frame and somehow an extra link got pulled into that little area and got stuck. Thanks for the help, if I hadn't found the problem yet you would have solved it for me! :)