Post your best bike frame for a hub motor

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I have been experimenting with Magic Pie hub motors and thought we all can benefit on our experiences on the pros and cons on different frames. I have made three bikes so far and every bike has been different from the next.
So post your bikes and special set up needed to make your bike work.
What kind of frame do you prefer?

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
These look like nice frames, Im trying to get ahold of them to see if they would sell me just that now. I like the Otok Frame, But the Forks on the Otor
http://otocycles.com/otok-2/
http://otocycles.com/otor-2/

Im currently using a crystalyte with a micargi frame. The frame was set up with 7 speed when I got it, but the Hub motor with 7 gears on it was a bit too big for the forks, the Gears would rub. 2 washers on each side later, problem solved

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's my Deluxe 6 Flyer beach cruiser. This is my long distance bike that I could ride all say long without getting tired. The front springer forks did a really good job of absorbing all the bumps. The big rack fitted twould batteries (25 ah and a 15ah). The only down fall is its rear heavy with both batteries so it feels like you're riding a unicycle when carrying both batteries.

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
BoXer

Here's my full suspension Boxer. This bike was a lot of fun when it was an electric. I ended up converting it back to a gasser for the races. Great frame but with over 8" of travel, it was like riding a quiet and slow motorcycle. Having the battery mounted inside of the frame balanced the weight of the hub which made it fun to ride. The only down fall would be the weight of bike.

Attachments

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
The great thing about electric bike conversion kits is they will work on just about any frame allowing one to put together the bike of your dreams without compromise. Gas motor kits are a lot more restrictive. Right now I have this old Schwinn electric conversion I'm working on but its been on hold for awhile .

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
No cruisers?! Im Schocked and dismayed
Ill stay Off that Island I guess. Probably check out the other stuff they have though :)

The cruiser Im on at the moment,I didint post a picture earlier.

I want to upgrade the Frame to a steel frame with a 27.2mm seatpost hole, preferably one that takes 7 speed.

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
I really like my Fito GT.
Bought it over here...
http://www.bikebuyers.com/mens_womens_3_speed_7_speed_beach_cruiser_bikes.htm#M3SP

It is aluminum though, only running 10ah lifepo4, good for 20 miles at 20mph in the flat land. Pedaling vigorously.
I would probably buy another if this frame ever has any issues down the road.
I did have to stretch the rear to get the MP3 in.

They have steel too, the Maricargi Firmstrong bikes.
I am not all that into rust like most here at motorbicycling.com :)

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Here's a picture of my current bike. It's a Marin DH bike. Back when it was a new bike, it retailed for a little over $4k. I rode it around with the battery on a rear rack. It was decent to ride but I couldn't ride it hard or jump it. In fact the rack snapped messing around in the off road section at Grange. On long rides, the seat wasn't that comfortable but the suspension is awesome.

Attachments

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
After breaking the rack, I decided to make a battery holder on the frame for weight distribution. Moving the battery forward made the bike handle much better. Since I ride a lot I the dirt, I replaced the tires to knobbys. To my surprise, the knobbys made the bike handle better on high speed turns without the rear tire hopping or washing out.
The only issue with these types of bikes is you need to make and install torque arms so the rear wheel won't come off. I've been extremely happy with the bike....except for the uncomfortable seat.

Attachments

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I agree with paul, Id like to know your secrets!
That is a pretty good mounting point when you dont have any room in frame :)

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It's pretty basic. I went to Home Depot and bought a 1" aluminum flat bar and used my vise to bend my angles. I also didn't want to weld anything so I used bolts instead.
It's late so if you can't make out the pictures, I can retake them tomorrow.

Attachments

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Just got my Bikee E2 fixed up with the 48 volt, 2 speed Xiongda front hub motor. It uses roller clutches and reverses into it's planetary gear box at ~7 m/h, automatically, with my 16" front wheel, to go from low to high. High/low ratio ~1.82. I can hold it in low if I want. With my 720 w*h, 48 volt lithium pack, I can go ~20 miles solo, ~14-15 miles with my wife on back. It will climb a ~14% grade with 2 aboard, no pedaling. No speed demon. For tourist town cruising. Best efficiency at ~14 m/h, and huffs out at ~17 m/h. You will see us riding around Pismo Beach from Jan-March, while winterbirding.

In a former life, this bike had a 35cc Honda, thru a Staton 18.75 box with a 13 toothed sprocket, chained to a 27 tooth sprocket, attached to the big Nuvinci hub, with developer's kit, laced onto my 20" rear wheel. I built a 12v charging system for it, which enabled me to be the only NVDK user that I know of to get this kit to successfully shift up and down under power. Winched like a champ, but it was too loud for the missus on back. Our Xiongda hub is totally inaudible to her now.

If it warms up, I'll try for a vid....

Attachments

Last edited:

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Bikee E2 16" front hub/Xiongda motor spoke problems

Spokes! I had Xiongda lace a properly sized 16" wheel to the motor for me just to avoid spoke breakage. They used thicker spokes, and of course 36 of them. Since shorter spokes would lend themselves to less bucking and less elongation/unit stress, I did not anticipate any problems. Big mistake. They were fine solo, but started breaking after just a few tandem road miles on the Cal central coast. The local Pismo Beach bike shop told me that this is symptomatic of Chinese spokes. They are now hunting Swiss spoke replacements for all 36, with my blessing.

This is NOT a power house. Granted, the Xiongda hub does have a low gear, but there are MANY hubs that pull harder on spokes than this one. So, to all Chinese e hub shoppers, buy the best spokes/rims you can, and get the best lacing possible - whether it's from you or store bought. Learn from my inconvenience....

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
No, Kevleven007, I didn't. With rim brakes? On the Xiongda, 48 volt, 2 speed hub motor, inside a 16" * 1.95" Maxxis tire? Thanks for the info, and please tell me more.

Last edited: