How to make some serious bread!

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I like a thinner crust, so use the basic bread recipe without yeast, then add just a touch of baking soda. No need to let it rise. It's basically a cracker recipe. There's a lot of different ways to make pizza dough........they're all a little different. With a little experimentation, you're sure to find a way that you like best.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If you use yeast for ZA then two rises, the last being formed into the shape pizza you want. If you go with three then it is more airy like bread.

Letting the doughs 1st rise of two rises in the refrigerator over night makes a more chewy dough.

I have only rolled the dough out, but now that I got the nack of using a dough hook on a strong mixer the dough is probably good enough I may see about trying to toss it to make the shape. I usually make two pies, but found the mixer should be used for one at a time or the motor may fry.

An oven stone I am using and got a peel to use with it. Rather than use the corn meal to prevent sticking, I use rice flour. The bread flour I use is just for the bread and it is good for also preventing sticking while forming, but the oven heat will burn it. Rice flour has a higher burn temperature and you can't taste anything for the little amount used.

MT

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Mostly yea, the same ingredients. The method is the changed.

Actually you do get about the same amount of rise. It I think it is the same as it just is more area risen so the height is less.

If you do not let it rise after a punch down and bake it right away, it will be much like a consistency of a brick.

MT

PS the thickness of the dough after rolling or tossing to a pie or pan shape is also what you may change to what you like.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
At the pizza place I worked at years ago, we made the dough daily for the next day. The recipe was pretty simple, two 50 lb (I think) bags of flour, around a tablespoon of yeast, a cup of sugar, cup of salt, gallon of water. Once mixed, it was portioned out by weight, kneaded and folded into a ball, and put in the fridge to rise overnight. The pizza makers would knead it a little then start spinning/tossing it into a disk. The owner would look at the dough in the big mixer and adjust it's consistency with a little flour if it was too sticky or a sprinkling of water if it looked too dry.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Making some rosemary/garlic/cheese bread this evening. Gonna pair it with some grilled NY Strip steaks with a seasoned butter finish, baked taters done on the grill, and some green beans with onions, bacon, garlic, and beef boullion. YUUMMMMM!!!

I don't have off this holiday weekend, so this is my feast! Having a few friends over and drink a couple beers.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
And you are there and I am here, jeez!

Have you guys got any sour dough experience?

One other thing, could I substitute water for milk when I make my regular bread, I'd like to try milk bread.

Holy crap batman, how about chocolate milk?
I guess the nutella covers that, (spreadable crack for toast)

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Beer, dude......beer. I like how the Michelob Amber Bock turns out.

I use powdered milk with my flour when making regular bread.

Instead of using chocolate milk, just put in some cocoa powder......this is the secret ingredient in the bread they serve at the Outback Steakhouse.

As for sourdough, I haven't messed with that. I can add a touch of balsamic vinegar to my liquid and the results are similar to sourdough in taste.

Good luck!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Hmmm, Moosehead beer is made here.
Powdered milk.
Cocoa, a secret ingredient! (was)

This thread is dense with awesome bread idea's, I can barely keep my saliva off the floor!

I kinda like Kokanee --- no one imports it here, though. About the only time I get any is when I visit friends in Alberta....

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Somebody mentioned their diet included Ezekiel 4:9 bread last night. Went to Amazon I think and that stuff is quite expensive. It sounds like quite an endevour to make the Biblical Loaf by the receipe given in the bible.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
My bread tastes like it came straight from heaven and it's easy to make.

Now I'm gonna have to go the Bing/Google store to see what's in the real stuff, darn it!!

After visiting the Bing/Google store, that's something that I'm not gonna make. Sorry.

Last edited:

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
I've made it a couple of times. Nothing to brag about. It was just OK. I hate to cook because I hate cleaning up the mess. I used to BBQ a lot. Got divorced and don't do that anymore.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I've made it a couple of times. Nothing to brag about. It was just OK. I hate to cook because I hate cleaning up the mess. I used to BBQ a lot. Got divorced and don't do that anymore.

Divorced also.......dang near cured my Tourettes Syndrome after it was final!

I've got young ones that work for me that don't give a second thought about spending $8 for lunch while at work. For that amount, I can have 2 grilled steak meals with all the fix'n's........and it's sure a lot better!!

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Divorced also.......dang near cured my Tourettes Syndrome after it was final!

I've got young ones that work for me that don't give a second thought about spending $8 for lunch while at work. For that amount, I can have 2 grilled steak meals with all the fix'n's........and it's sure a lot better!!
Definitely better and cheaper. I live out of the freezer a lot. A corny dog and lots of honey mustard. Now that's a real meal around here!

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Fresh outa the oven.......I sense a grilled cheese with bacon in the very near future!!

Attachments

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Nice lookin' bread!

I like grilled cheese sandwichs made with garlic and curry powder and lots of butter on each side.

I've been adding a 1/4 cup of blackstrap molasses to my bread, I like it and am going to up the amount a bit, like maybe a half cup or so.

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Sometimes, I use dark brown sugar instead of regular white sugar. Gives the bread a more 'rustic' taste.

Need to be careful in adding too much sweetner --- it does funky things to the yeast action........the dough may have a higher tendency to 'fall' when you put it in the oven. The yeast goes to town on the extra sugar, but the protein content in the flour can't compensate for the extra gases (air bubbles). It can't hold the air bubbles together.

Good luck!!