Texas Riding Blog

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
For over a year I've been hearing about sightings of a china girl near Garland. Well guess what, I finally met the owner. I accidently stumbled upon him on a bicycle ride. He mentioned to me about having a china girl he was having trouble with. What a surprise huh? Anyway I went over to his house and fixed it for him, so he's back on the road again.

When I found out where he lives, and that he rides it to school, I knew he had to be the one my friends were seeing.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
woo hoo do a double back flip spring is here took my MB out for a short ride just to get the cobwebs out of the muffler . I had to stop a the store and get some celebration juice ,since my sister is visiting I bought a bottle of champagne . I tried to get the pink kind but they were out of it . I also got a six pack of Natural Ice beer the combination should cause a good hang over even if it is all split between her, my dad , and I . I get to stay home and nurse my hang over while she will be driving on to LA. with hers LOL . I'll bet I will hear about it later .

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Sounds like a purty awesome day you have lined up, Fredric. Just sat down to enjoy an ice cold natural ice my self.

Cheers!

Solmangrundy

Apr 15, 2014
Northeast Texas
My experiance from beginning to end.

Started off getting a speed bike for christmas of 2013 and wanted to put a motor on it I managed to find what I think is a Flying Horse 80cc kit on ebay for $109. After getting the engine and trying to put it on the bike in my room I quickly found out the frame was to fat for the mounts I had so I went and bought a black with red and yellow rim/tire at walmart for about $75 at Walmart.

The engine mounted perfectly onto its frame and then I found out the tank threads were bad after trying to screw on the petcock for an hour. But was I going to let that spot me? Oh, no. I went and grabbed this 1960's yamaha gas tank off an old motorcycle that was given to me (I just love old junk) and duct taped a towel around the top tube to be able to fit and hold the gas tank and then continued to duct tape the whole thing to make it look uniform. After that I set off for my first ride and then the master chainlink kept snapping off and I gave up on it until April of 2014.

After getting a new chain and some more master links I finally got it road worthy and began riding it daily well exceeding the 30min at a time break in period but going as slow as I could go with the engine pulling the bike. After about 4 gallons of gas I began riding it full throttle on the open road and it was great. Then my bad luck started to show right when my mother said "Don't ride it into town you might get stranded." well it happened alright. I was riding home on a backroad and I guess the bumps and vibrations wiggled that chain tensioner to the side and caught the spolks of the rear wheel and made it unrideable completely tearing off half the spolks and warping the shape of the rim. I walked about 5 miles since I had no phone until a friend just so happened to pass by and knew that I wouldn't be caught dead walking unless something was wrong. Good thing too because my left foot was sore and giving out since I haven't walked that far non-stop in about 3 years.

And thats about it. Right now im inbetween buying a newer but same bike from walmart because its dirt cheap right now (like $40 tops) or swapping the engine over to this old beach cruiser I have sitting in the front yard collecting more rust on its already rusted frame. All it needs is a new seat post (that actually fits because all the ones I have are too fat to fit), tubes, and its road worthy. Either way im out for a bit as this bummed me out and I have no money but am deffinatly going to upgrade to a more reliable chain tensioner when I can.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Get one of the tensioners from Turbobuick1 --- the best upgrade I've done to my machine!!

Good luck on the continuation of your MB'ing saga!!

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
If you were in Lufkin I have an old tank from my first build that I don't need would have given it to you . One good thing in your favor is this site anything you need to know can be found on here . Good luck and keep riding .

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My experiance from beginning to end.

Started off getting a speed bike for christmas of 2013 and wanted to put a motor on it I managed to find what I think is a Flying Horse 80cc kit on ebay for $109. After getting the engine and trying to put it on the bike in my room I quickly found out the frame was to fat for the mounts I had so I went and bought a black with red and yellow rim/tire at walmart for about $75 at Walmart.

The engine mounted perfectly onto its frame and then I found out the tank threads were bad after trying to screw on the petcock for an hour. But was I going to let that spot me? Oh, no. I went and grabbed this 1960's yamaha gas tank off an old motorcycle that was given to me (I just love old junk) and duct taped a towel around the top tube to be able to fit and hold the gas tank and then continued to duct tape the whole thing to make it look uniform. After that I set off for my first ride and then the master chainlink kept snapping off and I gave up on it until April of 2014.

After getting a new chain and some more master links I finally got it road worthy and began riding it daily well exceeding the 30min at a time break in period but going as slow as I could go with the engine pulling the bike. After about 4 gallons of gas I began riding it full throttle on the open road and it was great. Then my bad luck started to show right when my mother said "Don't ride it into town you might get stranded." well it happened alright. I was riding home on a backroad and I guess the bumps and vibrations wiggled that chain tensioner to the side and caught the spolks of the rear wheel and made it unrideable completely tearing off half the spolks and warping the shape of the rim. I walked about 5 miles since I had no phone until a friend just so happened to pass by and knew that I wouldn't be caught dead walking unless something was wrong. Good thing too because my left foot was sore and giving out since I haven't walked that far non-stop in about 3 years.

And thats about it. Right now im inbetween buying a newer but same bike from walmart because its dirt cheap right now (like $40 tops) or swapping the engine over to this old beach cruiser I have sitting in the front yard collecting more rust on its already rusted frame. All it needs is a new seat post (that actually fits because all the ones I have are too fat to fit), tubes, and its road worthy. Either way im out for a bit as this bummed me out and I have no money but am deffinatly going to upgrade to a more reliable chain tensioner when I can.
That's a real drag alright. It always seems to happen right when you're having the most fun. My china girls have always required a period of sorting out in order to get then dependable. I've had to pedal home over 5 miles several times, and had to call for pick up once.

In order to get any of my bikes to the point where I considered them really trustworthy, I've probably had close to a $1000 in them.

If your starting point is a Walmart bike, expect to replace every part except the frame.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx
Hmm most of my walmart bike a kulana is still in good shape minus the fenders that caused problems when they left . It is true though the frame and front rim are all that's left of the original . I have been expecting the front rim to lock up or something as it has never been greased and I am now on my second motor on this bike . I started off with a 49cc and put way over 5000 miles on it . I then upgraded to 66cc because I was tired of peddling assist up hills . I now have over 2000 miles on it and going strong . Of course I had all of the minor problems such as motor mounts , cdi . gas cap vent , and more but it has all been worth it . My MB has taught me an awful lot about mechanics and gas powered engines and I love being able to brag when someone asks did you build that . I have the only MB in the area or at least that I know of . I do that there were more ah well perhaps someday .

Solmangrundy

Apr 15, 2014
Northeast Texas
Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I rode my electric bicycle to Kaboom town last night to watch the fireworks show. I got there at the last minute, and was able to ride with no interruption right up to ground zero.

I think since my bike is silent, and I was acting like I was pedaling, no one paid any attention to me. The police had the streets blocked off, and were turning all the cars back. I pedaled down the sidewalk along with the pedestrians, and no one said anything except for the occasional, "nice bike". I read that 500,000 people usually come to watch.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I had a DPS trooper pull along side me as I was riding and all he said was "You need to get some m ore reflectors on that thang!" and he sped off!
I believe in Texas a bicycle needs a red reflector seen from the rear, and white reflector seen from the front to be legal.

I'm not sure about yellow ones seen from the sides.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
i live in the hill county (kerrville) if anyone wants to ride :)
Welcome to the Forum Shaggz. Finding a riding buddy is a common problem for us all. Austin, and San Antonio are the hot spots for motor bicycles in Texas, so you're a lot closer to them than I am. Let us know if you find anyone.

Symbyot

Mar 11, 2014
Texas
Been trying to find some people in Austin to ride with, to no avail. I see them riding in town but apparently they don't watch these forums.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Been trying to find some people in Austin to ride with, to no avail. I see them riding in town but apparently they don't watch these forums.
In four years riding motor bicycles in Dallas, I've met a total of 7 people riding motor bicycles. Two of which were on electric bikes.

Four of them found me on this forum. The other three I met on rides around town, so give it a while, and see what happens.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It is pretty darn frustrating not having anyone to ride with. Even though there's hundreds of motor bicycles in Texas, you rarely ever see one that's not you own.