engine issues!

GoldenMotor.com

Agarm

Sep 2, 2011
Carlisle pa
My GT5 will idle great but as soon as i try to give it a fist full it cuts out. I drained the fuel and replaced it, changed the fuel filter, removed the carb and everything looks okay, adjusted the idle and air screws, and I put on an aftermarket air filter. Any suggestions would be great!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
could be carby needle or jet probs... could be a funky plug wire???
which plug are you running?

...how much time do you have on this motor?

Good luck
rc

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Depending on how far you get with WOT, it could be your tank vent, or the petcock's sucky flow. When you take'r out next, and it starts to do die, loosen off your tank cap. If it all of a sudden runs awesomely, you have a vent problem.

If the vent didn't solve it, your petcock might be the weak link. Either upgrade, or, grab a shut-off valve for $3 to put inline after the tank petcock. Take an 11/32'ish bit and just drill right through the whole stock petcock. (take it off the tank, obviously). Their just cast crap anyway.

gl.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you whack it wide open from idle it will stumble and may die. It is the nature of the beast. These carburetors have no accelerator pump or any kind of device to accommodate very rapid throttle position change, especially when operating at slow engine speeds.

Agarm

Sep 2, 2011
Carlisle pa
Its clearly a fuel problem. I've been able to get it to run wide open but not under a load. I hear there is a clip i can adjust on the main jet but did not see one. Does anyone know where the clip is located?

McCuiball

Jan 3, 2011
Olympia, Washington
It's on the throttle cable inside the carb, also known as the pacman clip. I have mine set to the second notch from the top. I wouldn't think that is your issue though. Sounds more like a fuel filter/petcock issue.