Is a 4 wheel Motorized Biycle still a motorized bicycle by law?

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
What is a 4 wheel MB considered under the law? To be more precise what is a 4 wheel MB if it only has 2 hubs like any other bicycle?

Ponder that if you will. LOL

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Re: Is a 4 wheel MB still a MBicycle by law?

With todays twisted/restrictive laws/rules/regulations. I would say that it is probably a 2wd motor vehicle requiring registration and insurance.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Not certain about CA laws but almost everywhere else 4 wheels = a motor vehicle and will require all of the equipment any automobile does. That will include insiurance, registration and a valid operator license.
Here's a link to a current 4 wheel build> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=26605

I don't know what you mean by "2 hubs". If it has four wheels how can it only have two hubs?

Tom

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida

I think he's talking about an electric bicycle...
He's probably talking about a recumbent bicycle with a trailer.
One hub on the front wheel and one hub (motor) on the trailer wheel.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

With todays twisted/restrictive laws/rules/regulations. I would say that it is probably a 2wd motor vehicle requiring registration and insurance.
Well this monkey is about to lace two 24" x 50mm rims side by side onto one hub with two identical tires on them, front and back. May the judge have mercy on my soul if I get a ticket. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Not certain about CA laws but almost everywhere else 4 wheels = a motor vehicle and will require all of the equipment any automobile does. That will include insiurance, registration and a valid operator license.
Here's a link to a current 4 wheel build> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=26605

I don't know what you mean by "2 hubs". If it has four wheels how can it only have two hubs?

Tom
I'm up to no good again, but my bike simply weighs too much for a normal bike tire setup. I can't takes it anymore!

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rl76d06d24aa5lbqrn5sru2241&topic=40163.msg765191#msg765191

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

You're just dyin to get noticed aren't you? Lol
I don't really have that problem on my bike. Actually my spine just cant handle riding my bike with 60+ PSI in my back tire any more to support the bikes weight. Any less PSI and I risk a pinch flat which is a nightmare to fix on my bike on the go by myself. I'm just tired of the impact that's being transferred through my bike and me when I ride. I'm done with that. Had enough. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

You're just dyin to get noticed aren't you? Lol
1. Double the load bearing capacity or the same load bearing with only half the PSI spread across 2 tires.

2. Double the rubber patch contacting the road plus enhanced high speed straight line stability.

3. The ability for the bike to continue to be ridden if one of the two side by side tires goes flat by simply over inflating the remaining good tire.

I'm not going with 72 spokes though, just 36 12 gaugers. 72 is just a bit much for me.

Who cares if it also looks cool? LOL The attention I get from my bike is fine but I could just as well do without it. When I first built this bike I only rode it at night. I just wanted to be as low profile as I possible could be on the road.

http://bikerodnkustom3.homestead.com/dragwheel.html

Last edited:

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA

Well this monkey is about to lace two 24" x 50mm rims side by side onto one hub with two identical tires on them, front and back. May the judge have mercy on my soul if I get a ticket. LOL
I really cant wait to see this! It reminds me of this bike, with less power.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

I really cant wait to see this! It reminds me of this bike, with less power.
Yes it looks very cool to say the least.

I have simply over built my bike without compensating one iota in the tire department, which is just fine if the roads are perfectly smooth, but that just not the case living in LA. I need to spread the rear load out horizontally and I need to increase the front wheel high speed stability as well without having to resort to these 30" monsters. They are too TALL! I want my bike to remain LOW! LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

4"+ wide motorcycle tires are either too tall or too low, too heavy, too expensive.

4" wide moped tires do not even exist.

Same with fat bike tires. I don't really want to ride around on 30" diameter fat tires. 20" fat tire are just too low for my likes. I like being as close to the ground as possible and still being able to be seen by cars.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida

At this point, why don't you just buy an actual moped and be done with it?

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA

I completely understand the wider tires part, I took the bike out the other day and managed to find some rough parts in the road that my car with 245/40/18 tires doesn't like and it feels like hitting a brick wall. It's enough to make me stand on the pedals or else my back takes a beating. That's at about 15 mph too. Gotta love road commission!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Buying a moped would take all the fun out of it!
Yeah but their tires are to die for, they're just not wide enough for my needs.

The moped itself is as ugly as sin and twice as gutless to boot. I can't believe people use to actually ride those things in Europe. A poor mans scooter. Even the frame on those things is an abomination. LMAO

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

I completely understand the wider tires part, I took the bike out the other day and managed to find some rough parts in the road that my car with 245/40/18 tires doesn't like and it feels like hitting a brick wall. It's enough to make me stand on the pedals or else my back takes a beating. That's at about 15 mph too. Gotta love road commission!
Yep that's exactly what it feels like for me and the faster you ride the more exaggerated it becomes. I new it would be bad bad I had no idea it would be this bad. Not only for me but everything attached to my bike.

Next up on my list is a 90 Amp Flux Core Welder from Harbor Freight. I'm diving head first into the welding pool. I got some chain/seat stay widening to do. Extra Wide widening. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

At this point, why don't you just buy an actual moped and be done with it?
LOL I wouldn't be caught dead on one of those things. I blow by them all the time on the road like they were standing still. Plus you need insurance and recurring registration fees and cant ride them anywhere but on the streets. I kill my gas motor and go silent on batteries all the time on bike paths. Nobody on bikes even knows what's going on when I pass them without moving my legs. They see the gas motor but it's not even running. Priceless. LMAO

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Nobody will even notice 4 tires on my bike. It'll look just like any other bicycle ridin' down the road right? No harm no foul. LOL