First build!! Cafe racer inspired

GoldenMotor.com

analogvsdigital

Apr 28, 2015
Southern California
My first build. 99% done! just waiting on a chain to come in the mail for the rear sprocket. I'm having trouble with the chain that came with the kit, doesn't clear the big maxxis tire. I'm hoping the 415h chain I ordered does. not much use tilting the engine, any more left and it hits the cranks...plus lock tight already applied. oh well. Any suggestions?

not a perfect build but I'm happy. I have an upgraded rear sprocket (hub mounted) and 44t. a speed carb...also bought an upgraded exhaust, expansion chamber with muffler, but doesn't clear the cranks, so I'm thinking about getting wider cranks or taking it to a shop to get it bent. as of now, just gonna use the stock exhaust.

Next to upgrade are the spark plug, cdi and air filter
Cheers!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your first build with us.
It's a fine looking bike. Congratulations.

Unfortunately I don't believe the chain you have coming will cure the tire interference problem. I'm a little concerned when you say "tilting the engine". You want the engine exactly centered in the frame. Tilting it to either side will not allow proper chain/sprocket alignment. Off-setting the engine is an option but it still must be mounted straight up, not tilted to either side. Off-setting will also require custom mounts both front and rear. Some welding might be required.

You're using a sprocket adapter. Have you tried moving it to the left to get the chain to clear the tire? Fat tires can be a problem but there are a few ways to get around the situation. Shimming the wheel to the right with a few washers on the axle might get you enough space.
Flipping the rear sprocket so the teeth are toward the outside will also help.

Others might chime in with more suggestions. Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

analogvsdigital

Apr 28, 2015
Southern California
Unfortunately I don't believe the chain you have coming will cure the tire interference problem. I'm a little concerned when you say "tilting the engine". You want the engine exactly centered in the frame. Tilting it to either side will not allow proper chain/sprocket alignment. Off-setting the engine is an option but it still must be mounted straight up, not tilted to either side. Off-setting will also require custom mounts both front and rear. Some welding might be required.

You're using a sprocket adapter. Have you tried moving it to the left to get the chain to clear the tire? Fat tires can be a problem but there are a few ways to get around the situation. Shimming the wheel to the right with a few washers on the axle might get you enough space.
Flipping the rear sprocket so the teeth are toward the outside will also help.
thanks Tom,
well tried all I could, looks like the only solution is smaller tires. All good. I'm sad to have to change out the hookworms.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks Tom,
well tried all I could, looks like the only solution is smaller tires. All good. I'm sad to have to change out the hookworms.
There is another option. If you have a good bicycle shop that has a good wheel man he can 'dish' or off-set the rear wheel. The process involves loosening spokes and tightening others to pull the rim off center from the hub center. Naturally you'd want the rim to move to the right of the hub centerline. Wouldn't take much and it might get you the clearance you need. You'll need to consult with the shop mechanic on this.
I'd hate to see you give up on those tires. They look great on your bike.

There's always the option of off-setting the engine to the left but as I said, that requires custom engine mounts and welding.

Tom