Mounting Method Suggestions Please! =)

GoldenMotor.com

Outraaageous

Apr 15, 2013
Florida
Hey guys, Ive been on this site on and off for a while, and alot more recently "researching" the friction drive motorbike. Wanting to make one for a while now but even more so wanting to do it cheap. I looked threw forums and kept my eyes on Craigslist for freebies in my area lol. So i finally have a working bmx bike and a working 32cc craftsman weadeater trimmer, and im ready to get started. Im looking for a mounting method WITHOUT welding to attach the motor to the bike, I tried the L bar from fence gates with a couple U brackets, that just seemed pretty flimsy.

(Looking at side picture of bicycle) My next thought is to bolt 2 strips of metal to the middle horizontal bar on the frame, having them extend past that middle bar a bit. put a hollow bolt threw the extended pieces connecting them. A bar threw that hollow bolt and attach 2 L brackets to the bar (Im going for a hinge effect) I can use a turnbuckle on each side connected from my tire mount to the L brackets. Loosening and tightening the turnbuckle lifts and lowers the spindle so i can change out tire or go back to pedaling if the motor dies. I guess my question is, will the above method work? Would i even need the entire right side of the mount? Ive seen people with just a bracket on the left, but the motor is always cockeyed or the spindle isn't laying flat on the wheel. My thinking is the right turnbuckle could maybe even that out, reduce some strain on motor idk... I really want to cut the turnbuckles out completely and go with something that i can engage or disengage while the spindle is moving. So i don't have to cut the motor every time i stop. (no clutch btw) If anyone can understand my mess up there and has some suggestions, tips, pics, ANYTHING similar to what ive described, i would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in Advance!

Bike1.jpg

Bike2.jpg

Edit: Looking threw some of the kits and other things done on the site, I now realize that my pockets are the limit here. I really just want to ride the thing for fun, maybe hit the corner store. Forget the fancy stuff im just gunna bolt it down.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Bolt 'er down, fire 'er up, and ride the wheels off it!
Fix whatever breaks.
Repeat as needed until it doesn't break.
This is my method when building on a budget.

Outraaageous

Apr 15, 2013
Florida
haha exactly my mindset right now! Ill get some pictures up tomarrow, kinda at a standstill as all stores are closed atm and im in need of some grade 5 bolts or better at 10-32. The homedepot bolts way too weak for motor mounting purposes.