clutch cable on motor help!?!

GoldenMotor.com

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo

This is a pic of my clutch cable attached to my motor ... I have tried to research here about this but no one has pics or atleast a description of my same motor... My question is the ARM that you see that the cable is attached to swings forward and back towards the carb. When you pull the clutch lever on handlebar this of course pulls the cable and ARM inward towards carb... It constantly stays in this position? Am I supposed to manually move the ARM away from carb and then when I go to start it pull clutch which will make the cable pull the ARM in towards carb.? I haven't started my bike will be this week when finished and this is my only concern and confusion so far!?? Don't get why ARM is towards the carb constantly... It's loose and free to move but stays in..what's the point of having a clutch cable pull it in if its constantly in..ya know...HELP dazed and confused!!!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take off the cover that it goes into, and shoot some penetrating oil where it goes through the cover, and also where the "bucking bar" goes into the case.

See if that helps, it should.

You may need to do more, but try that first.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Start over. Remove the cable from the arm, remove and discard the small spring (it serves no purpose except to make the clutch harder to pull) Then insert the cable into the metal piece ( cable guide) that protrudes from the engine case under the carburetor. Route it to the clutch actuator arm and reattach it the way you have it now. Leave the larger spring where you have it. It is a heat shield.

There is a lot of information here about clutch cable tension adjustment but in short you'll want little to no slack in the cable when it is attached to the arm and the handlebar lever is in the engaged (unsqueezed) position.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
OMG! I totally see now ... I didn't even put it threw the cable guide that's under the carb! That could be my problem! Duh! Thank you will try that later today once the plate is put back on. I have it off was installing chain last night. Will finish and repost pic. SOOO glad I found this forum! You gentlemen have been such helpful sweethearts! Thanks!

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Start over. Remove the cable from the arm, remove and discard the small spring (it serves no purpose except to make the clutch harder to pull) Then insert the cable into the metal piece ( cable guide) that protrudes from the engine case under the carburetor. Route it to the clutch actuator arm and reattach it the way you have it now. Leave the larger spring where you have it. It is a heat shield.

There is a lot of information here about clutch cable tension adjustment but in short you'll want little to no slack in the cable when it is attached to the arm and the handlebar lever is in the engaged (unsqueezed) position.

Tom
I've also pondered what could be the purpose of that spring on the clutch cable right there, the only thing I could come up with is it is their way of trying to round the route the cable takes right there a bit? IDK, whatever their goal it was unsuccessful, cause like you said, that spring does nothing but make the clutch harder to pull.

To the OP. IDK if the picture was premature, but as 2door said, you need to route the cable through that cable guide on the motor before it goes to the clutch arm otherwise you'll be SOL with your clutch....

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Thanks! Yes I see it now.. gunna fix and repost pic later .. dealing with this stupid GD chain right now.. will post new pic as soon as front plate back on and cable hooked up the correct way!! Thanks guys! :)