New Pipe for my OM Flyer Race Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I finally had a little time today to cut up a used KX60 expansion pipe that I've had laying around the shop, & weld it to fit my OM Flyer race bike.
This new larger pipe has already added a little more power over the old pipe, but I still need to mix up some fresh race gas & re-jet the carb to work with this pipe.

In the first pic, you can also see where I cut off the factory hanger & ground it smooth.

Here's some pix...

I want to give thanks to Jeff (CCC) & Andy (Headtrama) for encouraging me to try to do this myself!
I've never done this before but they both pushed me to go for it; (& I think it came out nice)!

Last edited:

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
That is awesome! The pipes cool but a motor in a 20"? Yeah,I want two. Got the frames,need the expertise.

This is what makes me want to buy from you Norm. Keep it up.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That is awesome! The pipes cool but a motor in a 20"? Yeah,I want two. Got the frames,need the expertise.

This is what makes me want to buy from you Norm. Keep it up.
Thanks for the compliment... :)

OM Flyers are 26" bikes... I really don't think anyone could squeeze a engine in a 20" BMX bike. ;)

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Oops,I seen 'SE' and got happy. Oh well,its still an awesome ride. How much does that frame measure? If you put a lowrider crank on it would it work with 20" wheels?

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This pipe is actually far enough out front that there's plenty of room so I won't burn my leg... (Unlike the last pipe that was on the bike). :rolleyes:

I still might wrap it in some heat wrap, (just incase). ;)

nashmoto

Apr 21, 2010
Northern California
Hey Norm,

I'm working on something similar - where did you get the header section? It would be great to just buy that part.

Great looking pipe!

I finally had a little time today to cut up a used KX60 expansion pipe that I've had laying around the shop, & weld it to fit my OM Flyer race bike.
This new larger pipe has already added a little more power over the old pipe, but I still need to mix up some fresh race gas & re-jet the carb to work with this pipe.

In the first pic, you can also see where I cut off the factory hanger & ground it smooth.

bulljo

Jan 5, 2013
orange county
Very clean job. Im gonna make a pipe for ht soon using a ktm 65 expansion chamber and muffler. What kind of welder did u use for the alumunium set u have. Also what kind of race gas do u reccommend?

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I made the flange from a kit front engine mount & a short piece of EMT pipe.
I welded everything with a $70 MIG welder. ;)

*edit*
This is what I use on everything... I know it's a POS, but once you develop some skills, it works very well!

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Hey Norm...great job on the pipe! I just picked up a KX60 complete exhaust from my local motorcycle salvage yard for $20! If you don't mind me asking, what size EMT did you use and is the flange just made from a front engine mount? Is the mount flattened out? I've never done this before, so, it should be interesting! LOL Also, what did type of paint did you use on the exhaust?

Thanks man, and again, great job on the pipe!

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I'm not sure of the EMT size, (I just grabbed a piece that was laying around the shop).
The front mount that I used is one of those older ones that are suppossed to be used for drilling the frame.
& last... I use BBQ paint. ;)