Need Help

GoldenMotor.com

Bomber

Nov 22, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
Im tryin to get my bike goin for the first time. i have everything installed, ready to go, and i went to roll it out of the garage and the back wheel wont move even with the clutch in. so i tried pedaling the bike with the clutch in and it wont turn over and i tried so hard to pedal but wouldnt let me. any ideas? like when i was puttin on the chain i could hear the piston so i think the engine has compression but it just wont let me pedal

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Post some pics or your rear wheel & how you have the engine mounted.
My first guess (without seeing any pics) is that the new sprocket is hitting the coaster brake dust cover.

Bomber

Nov 22, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
Ok I'll post pics later but idk if it has to do with the sprocket because if the chain is off the engine side and only on the pedal side, the rear wheel moves fine. I feel like it has something to do with the engine but I don't know hy. I tried turning the apocket around but facing outward it hits the frame. facing inward works as far as the frame, but won't let me pedal.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds like a clutch cable adjustment. That is IF you have a 2 stroke in-frame installation. We always need to know what kind of engine you have to offer help.

If it is a Chinese 2 stroke then you probably don't have the clutch cable tight enough. It takes a lot more force than most new builders realize to disengage the clutch. You want little to no slack in the cable at the clutch actuator arm when the handlebar lever is not squeezed.

Tom

Bomber

Nov 22, 2011
Apple Valley, MN
Ill take pics once i get home but i dont know what kind of engine it is. i got it off craigslist and all he knew about it was it was a 2 stroke. he got it new from an estate sale but never installed it. i have the clutch cable pulled as tight as i can but again im not sure cuz i kinda thought that could be the issue but idk how the clutch engages on these engines

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"I have the clutch cable pulled as tight as I can".
I've heard this before and many times we've found that the builder was not getting the clutch cable tension right.

Nevertheless, there could be other things wrong. How's your chain tension? A chain that is too loose can bunch up on the engine drive sprocket locking the rear wheel.
Another item is the clutch pads could be stuck. This is common with a new engine. During long periods of storage the pads will adhere to the pressure plate and not release even when the clutch actuator arm is moved all the way in. Try removing the spark plug and rolling the bike forward to make sure everything rotates as it's supposed to. Get back to us after you've checked the chain tension and that the engine turns when you roll the bike, spark plug out.
If the clutch is stuck we can give you some advice on how to free it.

I think we're going to need a photo or two here to offer help..
Tom