upgrading, TONS of advice needed.

GoldenMotor.com

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
So ok, first here is my bike. (Old photo, but not much has changed.)

Last summer, took a minor spill, busted the brake lever and shift levers, and though the motor will start and run, it's no longer engaging the wheel.
It's already had one ring job and was probably due for another. But it's seen probably several thousand miles by now… It's ready for a change.
Besides, I'm no lightweight and usually have to "assist" the motor up hills. I'd like a tad more power.
So going to attempt to do this myself. (Yea well, already asked the neighborhood mechanic and he's willing to help when I get stuck.)

So…. give me suggestions on a good 4 stroke motor.

ALSO… while I'm at this, that odd style frame makes it darn near impossible to mount the gas tank. The guy I bought this bike from drilled holes through the frame to sort of put in the standard mounts. BUT it's not good. No way to really get the tank on tight, so in time the tank bolts poke through. I'm on my third tank now and got that secured with really ugly plastic straps.
Was looking at possibly getting one of those frames with the tank already built in. Any thoughts on that? Found some on ebay for less than 200.00. But also found some going well over 600.00. WHAT is the difference?
Thinking as long as I'm going to redo the whole motor thing, may as well solve the gas tank issue too.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
The gas tank bikes rock I love them. Get em with mag wheels and built in sprockets and ready to ride for 499.oo on eBay. The pedestal mount is fast and simple. My son just upgraded to one also and he said there is no comparison
Sealed bearings also come on these. Or don't use the pedestal and do a 4 stroke as you hinted too.

Zip

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
One of the first things I had to do to that bike, besides replace those tires, (went flat running over a tooth pick) was get that rear wheel re spoked. It's good and strong now. NO point in replacing the wheels.

As for the motor, I'm SO lost. Been looking at sites that sell them. Not a simple matter of replacing basically what's there with a different kind is it? They seem to be a whole other beast. Might mean that chain guard would have to go. I don't know about this. Really wanted more power but in two forums now, your the first to answer and that was about the frame more than the motor. I might end up just replacing the stupid two stroke. :(

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Here is a motor idea...since your beautiful bike is already set up for a 2 stroke...Maybe a PK80 2 stroke that are much smoother and have more umph yet will plop right in with no changes. Or just More power just replace the sprocket with up to a 48- up to a 54 tooth///tons of low end torque to pull ya up any darn hill without help. Big sprockets are not expensive. You wont go as fast but I like leisure myself...its safer and more relaxing. If you need a new engine also the PK engine has more low end and smoother at top end. Just a thought. Look for the ones with the balance crank... like from u motto on ebay, or DAX has them as do some others. 2 strokes rock too!
I would just start fresh with a new fun build on a new take your time 4 stroke build so you have both bikes. 2 MBs is always better than one. if you need any links I am happy to help.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Good 4 strokes Hueshang 79cc or a predator 99 are great engines for 4 stroke builds but sprocket size will determine a lot on hill climbing abilities here too.
m=notice 4 stroke kits come with bigger sprockets already/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Stroke-49...ash=item360b4c177c:g:cTgAAOSwvg9XZI8B&vxp=mtr

I know Matt at Bicycle motorworks, he is as good as they come for service and help. He has always helped me out and is super professional and responsive with questions and help.

Last edited:

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
Well I just might end up with another 2 stroke. Looks like the only way to keep all the chain parts the same.
Now it looks like DAX isn't in business anymore. Is this the engine your talking about?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeda80-Pk80...ash=item33cb74e8c1:g:ZqkAAOSwuxFYzNly&vxp=mtr

As for hills and speed, I average a cruising speed of only 22mph. That's fine. No need to go faster and don't really want to go any slower. Only a couple hills I have to help it over so not really too worried about that. Not like I live in the mountains.

I still DO want to get a frame with the built in tank. So this is going to be a major rebuild for me here.

If you have links, PLEASE post them.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
ah, was searching ebay. Ok, maybe I'll call him later today. Still thinking about either just replace the motor as is and leave it for another year, OR… rebuild… upgrade.
decisions decisions….

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Sorry for the delay. Yes that's a good engine link as Zeda builds some super nice engines and are getting very innovative. I'm building a bike right now with a Zeda so that's a good price and motor.

here is a link for a entire bike frame with everything just add any engine you want. the sealed bearings in the wheels are nice and the rear sprocket comes on the bike. Its actually an amazing deal. it saves searching all the components. This one has the larger 3.75 tanks That I just bought and love it.
and the tank looks super nice.
They sure packed the bike well! took me an hour to get the double walled card board and packing materials off. LOL
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-26...443995?hash=item1c798e28db:g:jOEAAOSw2xRYbR3A
its steal

yep Dax is still in Biz his stuff is great to.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Artmaker, This link has the best deal bike with the new big tank, alloy mag wheels and the sprocket is attached and is really a great price. I've spent well over a 1000.00 getting all these components separate. and has front disk brake also. Just a bare painted frame is 190.00 so this is an attractive buy in my book.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIGHTY-BLAC...466839?hash=item1c7e256f57:g:xvMAAOSwdGFYtgji
These are the best chain tensioners I run them on all of my bikes now there are some slightly cheaper ones on ebay also but not nearly as nice.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Duluth-Cycl...hash=item3d35eca585:m:mURVg2BgSErbWVECIR-RSGg
I also use this lever on the throttle side on all my motorized bikes one squeeze and the bikes stop smooth.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunlite-All...066934?hash=item3d19282736:g:ZDsAAOSw7FRWWb~o
if you need any other links let me know Artmaker.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
All those frames say built for 2 stroke motors. If I have to get a 2 stroke Ill stick with the frame I have. Still gotta figure out a better way to mount the gas tank. Haven't figured that one out yet.

I sent dax a message so we'll see. At this point I'm thinking just upgrade the 2 stroke, get the thing rolling ASAP and call it good. (For now…. I still see a 4 stroke in my future. Nothing wrong with a spare bike right?)

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Yes They have the pedestal and it fits the two stroke perfect but lots of people install 4 strokes on them, they just ignore the pedestal.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
All those frames say built for 2 stroke motors. If I have to get a 2 stroke Ill stick with the frame I have. Still gotta figure out a better way to mount the gas tank. Haven't figured that one out yet.

I sent dax a message so we'll see. At this point I'm thinking just upgrade the 2 stroke, get the thing rolling ASAP and call it good. (For now…. I still see a 4 stroke in my future. Nothing wrong with a spare bike right?)
Heck 2 bikes x 10 for me, its my hobby... not just riding but building..
I kick one out every 2 weeks here. but yes having a bike to ride while building or repairing one is the way to go for sure. My intelligence is based on my CI index( Cubic inches) of gas motors) its addicting... you have what it takes Artmaker go for it.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
For the gas tank get a seat post tank and get rid of the parasitic wood tick tank.
Dax has flat rear rack tanks that look pretty good. But I would get a stainless seat post tank they are bad looking and wont mess with the beautiful lines of that vintage Bike of yours. or use just 3m outdoor mounting tape. No studs needed. Clean it all super good with isopropyl good before using it and don't get gas on it.. either ever. They have rolls of it at wal mart.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seat-Post-R...ash=item3d2cdd7d29:g:2xcAAOSwj85YQhA3&vxp=mtr

Or mount a real small plastic tank under the seat like I did on a similar build.
http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1964

wont hold a ton of gas but will get ya 30 miles and they are only 4 bucks I can send ya a set of OIl res decals that fit it. like I did.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I forgot the link. I just put my custom vinyl decals on it and made it look like a vintage oil reservoir. fits right by the rear seat. Warning its not big.
http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1964&pictureid=11578

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Stroke-Ga...ash=item2a7e0c0452:g:vlAAAOSwYIxX4Qf6&vxp=mtr
It can go on even with a zip tie to your seat post in front and one to your rack as it has one hole in the front and one in the back.
I attached it with the seat post quick disconnect stud to the seat post. it kind of compliments the bike. My son could print it off in the medium metallic green look for ya.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
NO room under my seat. That's an old photo but I've since made a black faux leather bag for under the seat. Fairly big one. Keep spare tools, patches, assorted other junk. So no gas cans there.
Besides, that plastic can is ugly. I like the motorcycle esk look of a regular gas tank. Just gotta figure out a good way to mount it on that stupid frame.

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I say use a 49cc 4 stroke with a grubee t belt transmission, or if you have more money buy a EZQmatic transmission ($300). I've had 5 bikes with 2 strokes and about 4 months ago replaced my first motorbike with a 49cc 4 stroke and I love it alot more than the 2 strokes. I just replaced another bike that had a 2 stroke with a 99cc predator 4 stroke but it's not wanting to turn on right now so I haven't ran it yet. The 50cc gets me top speed of 36mph and it's very smooth I replaced the exhaust and carb with a nt 2 stroke carb and a exhaust from affordable go karts.

I would recommend the 49cc because you can use mostly all the parts from the 2 stroke kit. You can even use the exhaust and carb from the 2 stroke on the 49cc engine.

artmaker

May 30, 2012
Michigan
The space on my frame wouldn't be enough to fit a 4 stroke. And everything I've read so far, those frames with the build in tanks don't either. Not without some serious modification. I don't have a machine shop. So kinda stuck just replacing what I have with another 2 stroke. So the question is, are some 2 strokes better than others?

bluck

May 2, 2016
California
I would say the new pk80s with the balanced crank are better than most 2 strokes just because it would have less vibrations I have 2 currently mounted on a bike. I get them from bestbikeenginekits.com