rear drive for trike

GoldenMotor.com

Sandhopper2

Jun 2, 2013
Norwalk Ca
Ok I'm new so be kind
I tried the search and did not see the answer
The questions are
I have a trike and a 24volt electric scooter , I would like to take the scooter motor and add it to the trike , but keep the peddling option available so how do I mount this motor and what drive system do I use ?
I'm not out for speed if it will do 10-15 mph that will be fine , I don't have big $ so would like to use what I have
Picture are always good for me so post some or show me links
Thanks Larry AKA Sandhopper2

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Sandhopper2 and welcome to the forum and we're always kind. That's why we're the greatest bike forum.

If you look up Cyclone Bike Motors on Google you will get an idea of how to set up the motor on the trike. They mount their kit on the seat post and have a double chain ring on the crank. You can pedal the bike and the motor and the chain wheel, free wheels as you ride. When you use the motor the pedals free wheel unless you want to pedal along with the motor.

Look up Sick Bike parts on the ads at the side of the page. They sell the complete 24v kit, less the battery, for $249.00. They may also sell the crank set up by it's self. I bought the complete kit. Uninstalled as yet since the bike and sidecar are waiting to get their chance to get into the garage.
This will allow you to use the gears on the trike if you have any and the installation is easy.

Hope this is of some help.

Steve.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome sandhopper. we have a member that did just this and i will pm him a link to this thread and i am sure he would love to help you. his name is deacon and he is really good and making bikes that don't break the bank will do what you want. great to have you with us

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
well the bad news is its pretty hard to do a diy rear wheel drive for a trike. The good new's you can do a friction drive on the front wheel with what you have pretty easily. If you want detailed directions send me an email and I'll try to walk you through building one.

I'm getting ready to start a new one myself using the same technology. Usually friction drive gets a bad rap but if you want to do it fast and nasty it's the way to go. It isn't as fast or as efficient as most other drives but it is quick and cheap.

Sandhopper2

Jun 2, 2013
Norwalk Ca
Thanks all for the welcome
I just did a China Girl on a old beach curser and having fun
Bought the motor and parts off CL guy did not want to sell the bike it was on so I took all the parts and put it on a old bike I had
It came with the custom kit for the rear sprocket so no rag joint
Only problem I had was the coaster brake mods to not hit the sprocket and new wheel bearings for the hub
Now the wife wants to go so that is the reason for the 3 wheel questions
Larry AKA Sandhopper2

Sandhopper2

Jun 2, 2013
Norwalk Ca
Ok I just picked up a hub motor and mpost of the kit parts , a big gamble could not check it out
Missing a key for the on off on the controler , guy said batteries would not charge
Now for the fun
1- open controller to by pass key
2- check batteries , charge or replace
3- test hub motor with maybe 12 volts , battery string looks to be 36 volts so I think I should get some movement with 12
Keeping fingers crossed that I did not throw away $90
Larry

Sandhopper2

Jun 2, 2013
Norwalk Ca
Test the motor and it runs on 12 volts direct
looks like one of the batterys is toast , I have 2 wired together and they are taking a charge at 12 volts
The charger I got with the system only read 16 volts so not sure how that would be hooked up
will look for a 36 volt charger when I have it all together
At least I know my gamble is not a total loss so far
As they say
I'm Happy Happy Happy
Larry