"Purple Rain" Schwinn Spitfire Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
This is a bike that I built for my GF.
It got the name "Purple Rain" from a passer-by the day she bought it. (The name just stuck)

It's a 1980 Schwinn Spitfire that was totally restored, right down to chroming every nut & bolt! (seriously)
It was built up right, with 100% Schwinn parts!
I decided to "double up" the engine mounts, & do all my little tricks on this one... (I wanted it to be extra nice.)
It's also getting a front drum brake next week. I'll post pics...

It's hard to tell from these pics just how purple this bike really is, but the name really fits it!!! (The fires near LA are messing up the sunlight in these pics.)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Love the gas tank! Ran across one on ebay and thought that it would look better then the teardrop tank problem is they wanted way too much for it because it had the "original B&S sticker on one end!"

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
hows that front drum brake ? i just bought a sturmey archer that i was gonna use on my jessie james project , but i think i,m gonna save it for my next bike . just wondering how good it works . i,m thinking of one of those rear band drum units also . thats a pretty clean lookin setup on that springer front you got there

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I bought this drum because of it's look... (it looks like a old Schwinn "Atom" brake)
I haven't used a "Sturmey" yet, so I can't compare it.
It stops ok... But the discs work the best!

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's a little update on Jen's bike...
As many of you who've been on the LA rides know, Jen's bike had big chrome fenders on it for a long time... I took 'em off & installed one of my disc brakes on the front for her. (that drum looked good, but it just didn't stop very well.)
I built a whole new front wheel from a nice vintage Schwinn wheel that I picked up at the LB swap meet.

Below is what it used to look like....

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Wow, I really like the lines that bike has.
I also think it looks nice without the fenders.
Sweet looking ride. That's the style I go for.
I love older restored bikes because they glow with
craftsmanship in every detail.
They are rare and special, particularly the Schwinns.
You know they don't build em like they used to.
Nice job as usual.
Tell me about that tank and air filter if you get the chance.
TIM

Tacomancini

Mar 18, 2010
Pittsburgh
Is the rear hub the original schwinn hub? How is the drive gear attached something besides the rag joint?

I was going to change to alloy rims on my schwinn collegiate 5 speed, but I wasnt sure if I should just get a newer hub rather than keep the original.

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Here's a little update on Jen's bike...
As many of you who've been on the LA rides know, Jen's bike had big chrome fenders on it for a long time... I took 'em off & installed one of my disc brakes on the front for her. (that drum looked good, but it just didn't stop very well.)
I built a whole new front wheel from a nice vintage Schwinn wheel that I picked up at the LB swap meet.

Below is what it used to look like....
hey Norm what front disk hub is that i am looking for one.

Venice Motor Bikes

Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Wow, I really like the lines that bike has.
I also think it looks nice without the fenders.
Sweet looking ride. That's the style I go for.
I love older restored bikes because they glow with
craftsmanship in every detail.
They are rare and special, particularly the Schwinns.
You know they don't build em like they used to.
Nice job as usual.
Tell me about that tank and air filter if you get the chance.
TIM
I love the look & quality of the old Schwinns!
The tank is a old school go-kart tank & the air filter is a valve cover breather that I modded to work. SBP sells similar filters... check 'em out.

Is the rear hub the original schwinn hub? How is the drive gear attached something besides the rag joint?
I was going to change to alloy rims on my schwinn collegiate 5 speed, but I wasnt sure if I should just get a newer hub rather than keep the original.
Yes the rear hub is a Schwinn Bendix 76... It's a special MM hub adapter for Schwinns; I had Jim make me several of them before we had our falling out.
I still have a few of them left, but I won't buy his parts anymore.

hey Norm what front disk hub is that i am looking for one.
It's a Shimano disc brake hub that I painted silver... give me a call & I'll hook you up with one.