Strange Tinny noise before startup ??

GoldenMotor.com

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Has anyone experienced this---before starting my 50cc ht engine with about 2000 miles--has a noise almost like the noise when a spark plug is too long--after starting the noise disappears and engine still has full power----wondered if its a head gasket that seals itself when it gets hot by expansion--may strip it down and convert top half of engine to 80cc

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I've had a couple engines where the clutch cover actually comes on contact with the clutch. When I removed the cover I could see a circle wear pattern on the inside of the cover. Added another gasket and problem solved!!

robin

Nov 15, 2008
That makes sense i put in new clutch pucks--also i meant to give my clutch actuator slightly more tension because it is catching somewhat.
Thank you its what makes this forum so great---you say to yourself i should have thought of that ---but you didnt--thank you!!

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Try just slightly rounding the back edge of the flat with a dremel. The edge that pushes the clutch pin. Makes the clutch alot smoother and easier to pull.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
WOW I FOUND OUT WHAT THE NOISE WAS !!!--i pulled off the head and the jug(piston body)and found horrific scarring on the piston and some scarring on the jug--i had ordered a jug and piston but they sent a head and piston--i needed to ride gas costing me too much!! so i used old jug no metal on it or deformities--assembled it ran 100 yards and seized solid !! dissassembly proved that the little ring guide pin had come off the original piston and hid some where-on reassembly it floated into place and stuck on the cylinder wall causing a gough in the new piston and made it seize solid--i hammered it out with a wood dowel and found when the piece of metal was scraped off it fit perfectly into the hole of the old piston--weird!!

RPM

Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Hi Robin,

Boy, I've been @ that place before, with chainsaws, car motors, transmissions and whatever. At which point do I replace this or that.

I have two of these two stroke engines but all two strokes are similiar. Still learning what I don't know about these chinese engines.

I think if I were to rebuild the top end on one of these things there are some considerations I would take into account. Rod and pistons slop at both ends and the condition of the cylinder itself. Any time you replace the rings you cross-hatch the cylinder. You want the new rings to "seat" or wear in. If I replaced the piston I would replace the wrist pin, stays and rings.

It starts to get complicated in a hurry for a straight forward job that seems simple. It all depends on the "wear factor".

Two thousand miles seems pretty good for one of these engines verses how much money you would spend in gas to make a car go that far. I've seen where you can buy just the motor for less than a hundred bucks. Not a bad deal considering the hassle of the rebuild and time into it. Then if something goes wrong your out your money and time. (experience speaking here)

I've only got a hundred and fifty miles on my 49cc engine and fifty or so on the 68.5 cc but am having problems already and its brand new. It seems there is always something to do on these engines.

RPM

RPM

robin

Nov 15, 2008
After the above incident i ordered a new piston and jug--it ran 5 minutes and the retainer clip came off jamming itself on the piston wall and it too seized solid---now ill buy the whole new engine !!!!

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
After the above incident i ordered a new piston and jug--it ran 5 minutes and the retainer clip came off jamming itself on the piston wall and it too seized solid---now ill buy the whole new engine !!!!
I did the same thing, the little end bush disintegrated went into the crankcase then back up the transfer ports scoring the bore and piston. I got a new piston and barrel and thought i got all the bits out of the crankcase but sure enough same thing happened again, new motor!