Pop goes the plug boot

GoldenMotor.com

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
I was riding home from town today (around 3 miles one way) and when i got close to the dirt road I live on my motor stopped. I pedaled on down the drive and parked her in the shed. After eating some candy(reeses eggs are good) I went back out and found my plug boot had broken internally. Have any of you guys had this happen? My plug had also backed out some(yeah it was tight before i left) Glad there was an extra boot in my kit! Gonna upgrade to a better boot and wire.

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I went back out and found my plug boot had broken internally. Have any of you guys had this happen? My plug had also backed out some(yeah it was tight before i left) Glad there was an extra boot in my kit! Gonna upgrade to a better boot and wire.
If you have a local motorcycle shop go and get a good NGK Boot from them and if they have some 7mm copper core plug wire replace it also, I have 2 of these engines and both plug boots did the same as yours did in no time at all, had about 15 miles on the last engine when the boot gave it up, I put it back together and thought I got the connector good and tight but within a few miles it crapped out again.
The NGK boot I'm using is part# LB05EZ, it is a replacement for a Polaris and you can use your spark plug with the little screw on nut at the end and it clamps on very good, no trouble with this at all since I made this fix, hope this helps.
.rd.

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
thanks for the part # man. Ive worked on/had motorcycle for the last 10 years and never so a boot break like that. prolly gonna order the sick bike parts plug wire or use an Accel wire boot deal. trying to make this thing bulletproof as its my main means of transport.dance1

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks for the part # man. Ive worked on/had motorcycle for the last 10 years and never so a boot break like that. prolly gonna order the sick bike parts plug wire or use an Accel wire boot deal. trying to make this thing bulletproof as its my main means of transport.dance1
"make it bullet proof".....yea me too, I live in the country and I plan to ride mine to work when it warms up a little more here in central Texas, still a little cool at 4:30am when I would need to leave the house, it is 16 miles to work one way for me and I need my bike to get me there and back without it crapping out on me, I'm pretty new to the motorized bike stuff but not new to building small engine and fast go karts and things, I have enough tools to do just about anything I need to so I have been figuring out the weak points of these little china girl engines so that I can make them fairly dependable hopefuly, I've had issue with the clutch arm housing but got that figured out today and got it fixed, got my carb. jetted down and it is working great now also, just keep plugging away at it every chance I get so it's coming along pretty goo dthe last few days, and I'm loving it, this is more fun than watching roosters fight....!LOL

Good luck on your plug wire fix and be careful out there, Shan

scratg

nogig

Mar 18, 2010
south carolina
"make it bullet proof".....yea me too, I live in the country and I plan to ride mine to work when it warms up a little more here in central Texas, still a little cool at 4:30am when I would need to leave the house, it is 16 miles to work one way for me and I need my bike to get me there and back without it crapping out on me, I'm pretty new to the motorized bike stuff but not new to building small engine and fast go karts and things, I have enough tools to do just about anything I need to so I have been figuring out the weak points of these little china girl engines so that I can make them fairly dependable hopefuly, I've had issue with the clutch arm housing but got that figured out today and got it fixed, got my carb. jetted down and it is working great now also, just keep plugging away at it every chance I get so it's coming along pretty goo dthe last few days, and I'm loving it, this is more fun than watching roosters fight....!LOL

Good luck on your plug wire fix and be careful out there, Shan

scratg

What kind of clutch arm probs you have? That thing looks ready to break i wish someone (creative engineering) would make a sweet billit one with a slight bend so it wasnt pulling so much of an angle. Let me know what weak points ya find. Would be nice to have an end all thread with weak points and solid fixes. Ride on man

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
If you have a local motorcycle shop go and get a good NGK Boot from them and if they have some 7mm copper core plug wire replace it also, I have 2 of these engines and both plug boots did the same as yours did in no time at all, had about 15 miles on the last engine when the boot gave it up, I put it back together and thought I got the connector good and tight but within a few miles it crapped out again.
The NGK boot I'm using is part# LB05EZ, it is a replacement for a Polaris and you can use your spark plug with the little screw on nut at the end and it clamps on very good, no trouble with this at all since I made this fix, hope this helps.
.rd.
Good post mapbike...In a sea of BS it's good to see a post that is spot-on!

Jim

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Good post mapbike...In a sea of BS it's good to see a post that is spot-on!

Jim
Thanks Jim, I always have a lot to say but at the same time I like to say things in a way that is understandable and hopefuly will help someone get a problem solved, I just tell it the way I want it told to me, keeps things simple and much easier to follow.

Shan