Which beach cruiser should I get for the 66cc kit?

GoldenMotor.com

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
I've looked around, in walmart, and found a few beach cruisers.
Here are my many dilemma's:

1- I want a beach cruiser,
2- with comfy saddle,
3- and a single rear drum brake (no front brake).
Why a rear drum brake? because I will put a front disc brake, and because I'll have a clutch cable on the left handle (so no space for a V-brake there).
Besides there's a gas tank on the top bar, and I don't want any cables there.
4- for Cheap!
5- Which has space to fit a standard 66/72/80cc 2T kit in the frame
6- Here's where it gets difficult:
If possible a front fork with suspension.
7- A front disc brake
8- 29 or 32 in tires. I'm tall, and find even 26in tires too small. 700cc tires fit me fine, eventhough their outside diameter is exactly the same as beach cruisers with 26in tires.
9- Big tires like beach cruisers, to absorb shock.

Since I don't find everything I want in one, I might as well get a cheap one that might fit the bill, and upgrade it.
I have decided I will upgrade:
1- The saddle. I want a comfy saddle, if possible with added suspension
2- the front brake and fork. I am aware that beach cruisers don't come with suspension forks, neither with disc brakes.
3- And of course I'll install the kit myself as well as the gas tank, as a 32-34T rear sprocket.

Here's the problems I foresee:
1- The rear sprocket comes with 9bolt holes. This seemingly fit only with 36 spoke wheels. 36 spoke wheels generally are 26" wheels or smaller.
29 and 32" wheels come with 40 or 40+ spokes. How do I solve this?
2- 29"+ bikes are expensive. Any place you'd recommend me to buy them from? (I'd like to stay below $200 for the bike, without upgrades)
3- Are front forks changeable on beach cruisers?
4- Is there anything else I need to know before I make a purchase?

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Ill try to answer some of the questions for you. Some people have used the 29" genesis bikes from wallyworld. http://www.walmart.com/ip/16203481?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem These are aluminum frames though but that is a debate for a different thread. I have a cloud 9 seat on my bike and it is comfy for a low price. I am pretty sure you can make a pirate cycles adapter work for the 29" wheels. Here is a thread to a build using this bike. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=468165

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Good luck finding a drum hub bicycle at walmart.
Your specs call for a custom build, not a wally world cruiser.
Coaster brake yes, drum no.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Sorry, coaster brake, IMHO is almost the same as a drum brake, so I meant the latter.
Most WM bikes come with such braking system

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Ill try to answer some of the questions for you. Some people have used the 29" genesis bikes from wallyworld. http://www.walmart.com/ip/16203481?...1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem These are aluminum frames though but that is a debate for a different thread. I have a cloud 9 seat on my bike and it is comfy for a low price. I am pretty sure you can make a pirate cycles adapter work for the 29" wheels. Here is a thread to a build using this bike. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=468165
Yes,
I read your thread, and also find this 29-er from Wallyworld a nice bike!
I was impressed with your saddle solution! It would work really well for me, being tall and stuff..
I'm still working on how to get a front fork, with suspension, and disc brake on that bike.

With the rear sprocket, I'd be a bit careful with the adapter. I've seen how those sprockets can ruin the spokes.

Hope by then that the prices won't go up.

Some people might like to see your bike with a black engine kit mounted!
I prefer different colors, but if you'd install the all black kit, you'd almost have an all black bike. :)

Last edited: