Help with trim color, please

GoldenMotor.com

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Gosh !
Pat sure does build nice bikes!

Hobby and craft stores sell a color wheel which could help you decide on a color scheme. They got small, and larger ones.

It will show you contrasting colors, a three way, or 4 way complimentary split.

You can buy an airbrush very inexpensively, and play forever, if you wish!
Mixing your own colors from the basics is also a lot of fun.

Of course, there's certainly impact in grabbing a small brush, a can of paint, and doing it up as in the old days! Do that in the shade, on a cool day.Fun stuff !
rc

LOL...it was 105 yesterday and 98 and climbing at noon! high of 102 today. I could be worse, it was 112 to 116 last week in AZ.
Thanks, Chris

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
I got the bike today. I love the tank! I can't bring myself to painting the tank at all. I added 1/8 and 1/16 black pin stripes to the tank and tool box. It's not lightning fast from a dead stop but at about 15mph it really jumps! I took it to the LBS and they loved it and a neighbor down the street wants one no too.

.shft.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Chris,
Nice to know number 3 has found a new home. Funny how so many people have plans to paint the tanks and once they get them they like the stainless finish so much they just decide to leave it as it is. I have a few nice upgrades since that build. I have a stack of laser cut stainless coil brackets that hang the coil right on the intake. Also, I just received my first batch of billet aluminum BTR handlebar drop clamps. I will post pictures in a few days of those parts. I also have 48t and 52t rear sprockets in development. Enjoy your Racer!
Pat

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
I figured I better edit my post as it was a bit harsh, but that style post has no astetics to it. It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. The other style that is cut and turned hides well. No big deal if your other seat is getting covered and put back on.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah whats going on with that seatpole? Why wouldnt you just cut and weld a standard seatpost. That has no place being on a bike that beautiful....... just my $0.02

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
You are going to have a ball with that on parades and such. Very cool. One thing. The Gooseneck stem is way out of time for this beautiful bike. I searched and searched and found the perfect stem for our bikes. Go to a Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store and buy a little kiddy bike made for a 2 or 3 year old kid. The stem on these bikes are absolutely perfect and period correct. I have it on mine. I think I paid 5 bucks for the kiddy bike that it came off of.

Last edited:

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Thanks Cobra. It sits really high but needs to a little high to clear the springers(not that high). I planned to change it out but haven't got around to it. As for the seat, I had a regular post on it and it was to cramped. It made me put to much weight on my arms because I was too far forward, ever when pushed all the way back. I have a lot of bicycles from the late 1800s to late 1930s and use brooks seats on them so I don't kill off the original seats and had this one I wasn't using.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Cobrafreak,
I like to use various different stems from the Schwinns. Anything that is a true forged steel piece. I was at a bicycle swap meet recently and picked up a bunch of stems. Stingray stems are cool, and so are the late 1940's stems. I even found a few Ashtabula black oxide finished BMX stems from about 1979 which I really like. So, are you really a Cobra freak, as in AC Cobra?

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
Pat,
You haven't seen his pics then. He has a blue one. That is my all time favorite. There was a guy in my dads car club that had a replica and an original one. I might pick up in Kit sometime in the future. Speaking of Fords...Pat, is that gt-50 yours?

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Pat,
You haven't seen his pics then. He has a blue one. That is my all time favorite. There was a guy in my dads car club that had a replica and an original one. I might pick up in Kit sometime in the future. Speaking of Fords...Pat, is that gt-50 yours?
Yep, the GT40 is mine. It's a CAV replica with original style monoque chassis and ZF transaxle. When people ask me if it's real I always answer "it's pretty real at 175mph!" I am a Ford guy since my first car which was a 1970 Mach 1. I have a Pantera kicking around, too, and a couple others. That's the whole sportscarpat thing. We all have reasons for our forum names.

Robertriley

Apr 25, 2011
Southern California
My dad had a sleeper Mustang Cobra from 04. Ford wouldn't release the production numbers for about three years. It was one of 66 made and one of 6 convertibles. It came from the SVT factory at 486HP to the wheels and 530 toque. It ran a 11.7 with street-slicks bone stock with all the Cali-smog cr#p on it. He was then chased back to the pits after his one run because you can't run under 13 with a vert unless you put a roll bar in it. He changed on of the pulleys and it put him over 520hp to the wheels and he's ran in the low 11's. He been kick out of about every track in SoCal. He'll run a 13 something to check out the first part of the track the hit in the low 11's and take the heat when he's done.