2 frames, saddle and Engine = 1916 Indian

GoldenMotor.com

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
Its starting again. One cycle is not enough. Since I couldn't decide between my 1902 Indian first build and a vintage board track racer, I decided to build both. For the second build I finally picked a 1916 era type Indian Board track racer, and although the 4-stroke engine will be non-authentic for now, for reliability and simplicity and free, the rest of the cycle will be as close as I can replicate within my budget.

2 frames = 1 cycle - the black one purchased for $2 at the flea market, the red one was a old beach cruiser which I got ahead of myself and painted with Dupont 2-part auto paint with hardner before I thought this one out and decided on the u-drop frame Too bad the paint job came out nice and I'm going to sandblast it away.
1 Engine - Free from my buddy who threw out this edger and was stoked to hear its next destination. 10 minutes + carb cleaner = purrs like a kitten
1 Saddle - $50 on ebay.
Tires - $45 ebay
Design - scratch built from old photos.
Total investment - about $250 total and ready by the end-of-summer.

What I look forward to most is a combination of old and new parts that will give it that restored look, but aged combination. OK, so it's not a real track racer, nor vintage, nor a real Indian which none of us can afford, but who cares; it's what I can afford and a helluva lot of fun. If I get you to look twice, then it works for both of us.
Thanks to all those before me who inspire me. More to come. Wish me luck

Attachments

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
CobraFreak,
Thanks for your kind words and comments. Your posts of the 1911 Indian have offered many good insights and ideas for consideration. This is a very nice build and you are truly a leader in this hobby. What I appreciate most is your experience from making a very practical and good looking project bike, and the willingness to try a modification and share the results of the outcome. These pathfinder changes guide many of us and motivate me to complete my projects. The discussions and think tank is the very essence of this forum and bonds a common interest to serve the better interest of this hobby. I'm getting a great deal of enjoyment in the building process and reading what others are doing as well. I've been bad about regular postings from the 1902 Indian build to return the favor, but I'll hopefully do better this time with posting pictures.
Like many builders, I would love more than anything to have an original 1910's or 1920's Indian, but the price and practicality is way out of my budget, not to mention the concern I would always have about somebody ripping it off or crashing the priceless collectible. It would make it hard to ride a real bike with any enjoyment. Our replica moto-cycles are so unique when the average person sees them they immediately are drawn to take a second look to ask "what is it" and "that looks like a lot of fun". They are fun. Engaging is a detailed discussion at a show is very rewarding.

Regarding the final build, I have not come to the final build design just yet as I am still pouring through Antique Motorcycle magazine and Indian books to pick the final details. It will have white tires, red frame, a round bullet tank, lowered bars and (possibly) the monkey stick seat (still debating). I'll wrap the handlebars with brown leather sport wrap use black rubber pedals. Still thinking about the right wheelbase and final ride height, but looking for ideas throughout the forum. I'm looking for comfort more than speed.

So hear are a few questions for more experienced builders:

1) Has anyone figured out the best or easiest way to make a ROUND bullet tank and what material was used?
2) How do you get a smooth bend for the U-Drop tube without having to invest in expensive tube benders? Don't want it too look like a botched torch job or like crap. I may have access to a buddies hydraulic press and thought about bending over a car rim. Does it work? or maybe just use a muffler shop? (I wonder if their insurance prohibits this?)
3) Any suggestions for best wheel base and ride height? Will be using as a pedal rider about half the time on Saturday rides with the kids.
4) Is the monkey-on-the-stick seat set up too uncomfortable for a pedal rider?
5) Any ideas on a simple scratch build for a leaf-spring front end? I thought about adapting half a trailer spring and scratch trailing arms. I'm not that fond of the coil over spring after market forks.

Thanks again for all those who keep this movement going!
TriQ2ookvd

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
CobraFreak,
Thanks for your kind words and comments. Your posts of the 1911 Indian have offered many good insights and ideas for consideration. This is a very nice build and you are truly a leader in this hobby. What I appreciate most is your experience from making a very practical and good looking project bike, and the willingness to try a modification and share the results of the outcome. These pathfinder changes guide many of us and motivate me to complete my projects. The discussions and think tank is the very essence of this forum and bonds a common interest to serve the better interest of this hobby. I'm getting a great deal of enjoyment in the building process and reading what others are doing as well. I've been bad about regular postings from the 1902 Indian build to return the favor, but I'll hopefully do better this time with posting pictures.
Like many builders, I would love more than anything to have an original 1910's or 1920's Indian, but the price and practicality is way out of my budget, not to mention the concern I would always have about somebody ripping it off or crashing the priceless collectible. It would make it hard to ride a real bike with any enjoyment. Our replica moto-cycles are so unique when the average person sees them they immediately are drawn to take a second look to ask "what is it" and "that looks like a lot of fun". They are fun. Engaging is a detailed discussion at a show is very rewarding.

Regarding the final build, I have not come to the final build design just yet as I am still pouring through Antique Motorcycle magazine and Indian books to pick the final details. It will have white tires, red frame, a round bullet tank, lowered bars and (possibly) the monkey stick seat (still debating). I'll wrap the handlebars with brown leather sport wrap use black rubber pedals. Still thinking about the right wheelbase and final ride height, but looking for ideas throughout the forum. I'm looking for comfort more than speed.

So hear are a few questions for more experienced builders:

1) Has anyone figured out the best or easiest way to make a ROUND bullet tank and what material was used?
2) How do you get a smooth bend for the U-Drop tube without having to invest in expensive tube benders? Don't want it too look like a botched torch job or like crap. I may have access to a buddies hydraulic press and thought about bending over a car rim. Does it work? or maybe just use a muffler shop? (I wonder if their insurance prohibits this?)
3) Any suggestions for best wheel base and ride height? Will be using as a pedal rider about half the time on Saturday rides with the kids.
4) Is the monkey-on-the-stick seat set up too uncomfortable for a pedal rider?
5) Any ideas on a simple scratch build for a leaf-spring front end? I thought about adapting half a trailer spring and scratch trailing arms. I'm not that fond of the coil over spring after market forks.

Thanks again for all those who keep this movement going!
TriQ2ookvd
I appreciate the kudos. I just have a really BORING career and I dive head on into my personal projects to make life fun. I definitely will not be one of those people that retire and not know what to do, Lol. I sometimes have an original idea that works. Sometimes I recognize someone else's idea as fantastic and go with it. Lurkers clone engine in a bike was brilliant, as an example. This is a great hobby and I really would like to see it grow! I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Round bullet tank- I have seen some great tanks recycled from propane tanks, fire extinguishers, large diameter pipe with ends welded on, etc. The easiest tank is one that is already a tank of some sort. I didn't know if you were talking about a tank like a torpedo or a squarish tank with round sides. My tank has flat sides except for the front and back. I could have made the sides round by cutting pipe in half or bonding a curved surface on the flat steel with foam and fiberglass. Lots of different ways to do the same thing.

Bending pipe smoothly. A radius pipe bender is the tool for this job. Muffler shops have them as well as metal fabricators. My muffler shop could not do it for me because they didn't have a fitting for the size tube I was using. So call and ask. Take a picture with you of the loop you want from another bike or motorcycle and they can get the degrees off of the picture and duplicate it for you. I have a non-radious pipe bender and it could not do the full loop without ruining the pipe, even filled with compacted sand.

Wheelbase. My wheelbase is 6'5" from outside rubber to outside rubber. It is OK. I wish I went two more inches personally, but it's fine. These were long bikes. If I make another I'll go 6'6" or 6'7". As for height, you want to sit on the seat and be able to put both your bare feet on the ground.

I don't know what a "monkey" seat is. If you are talking about a solo saddle they are great if they are a quality piece. Brooks saddles have been around since the late 1800's and have been making saddles for motorcycles and bikes since the beginning. Very comfortable. I have one on my peddle bike too.

Here is a link to a leaf spring front fork project.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1014&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=leaf+spring+fork

If you make one, make it so that if the spring fails and snaps you wont crash. The one in the link would cause you to eat pavement if the spring failed. The tire would hit the inside of the fork and lock up and you would flip over the bars. Probably a safety stop of some sort that would catch the linkage if spring snapped.

Last edited:

triq2ookvd

Feb 28, 2011
Cocoa FL
Cobrafreak,
Thanks for the good suggestions.
Round Tank - This would be a completely circular tank with the tapered ends. Someone else mentioned a used fire extinguisher would make a good start. I'm curious about the geometric blank out shape to form the front and back ends. I've found experimenting with scale models made from card stock works pretty well. I'm hoping to curl sheet metal and match the radius.

Monkey on stick was the term used for the drivers who preferred to slide their leather seats further back on a horizontal seat post, rather than a vertical seat post. As the board track racers got into a lower position and practically laid on the tank, they used a horizontal seat post to slide the seat further over the back axle. They nicknamed a rider that hung over the back tire the "monkey on the stick". Some of the saddles also had some really odd nose-up position and it sometimes looked as if the rider was dragging himself up onto the bike by the handlebars. Probably good for aerodynamics but seems like this would be a nut buster. I'm going to put the seat somewhat back, but not sure how much yet.

I really like the suggestion to make an accident proof leaf spring setup by limiting the stroke. I'm going to look more into the geometry calculations and will post pictures if I take this design on. The leaf spring look is different and a functional set up would be even better.

Oh, and appreciate the support as well Lurker.

More to come