skyhawk gt2as

GoldenMotor.com

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Well guys ive been looking trough some builds going on for ideas and ive learned a lot (I HOPE). I wish i had waited till now to buy my frame because the new versions have been upgraded nicely, but as they say it is what it is. So currently im in mock up mode and hope to finish by spring. im in buffalo so i have more time then most of you to finish, as i will also need due to waiting for shipping on parts. I cant run to the corner as most of you herexct2

So far what i have is a previously purchased gt2as frame, monarch springer forks and a 4stkr and 4 g from my previous walmat cruiser that served me well, but time to put er to bed. I am so far working with the orginial motor mount from the from the engine kit (3 yrs old). Im not completly happy with it an still researching my options but it lines up nice and will work. I do have a sbp shift kit from the old wm cruiser but i think its to bulky and not needed for this build.

As for rear hub my choice was a sturmey archer srk3 which is a 3 speed hub 135mm axle nut to nut disc brake hub. From my shift kit i have learned i dont need 7 gears, as the uppers seemed pretty useless. As for rim size im going to go with 24 x 2 and hope to stuff some 3in tires on. I plan on cutting the rear cantilever mounts off but not just yet.
Now im still playing with the drive train at this point. I have gone with bicycledesigner motorize rear disc brake hub drive and i could not use the disc brake due to the frame (where the new version is better). But i like the set up, ridged to the hub, no wobble or clam shell type slipage. I also have the option to go to the sbp jack shaft set up and crank set up and possibaly still get a disc brake on the rear. Like i said still experimenting, thats why i started with drivechain. After all the rest is just bells and style imop.
I will post some pics tomorrow along with parts list so far and cost. Im currently waiting on some parts to possibly arive tomorrow. brnot

Last edited:

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
I tried adding a second pic but for some reason i kept getting a failed message.
So far to date i have the following parts on hand for the build.
Previous purchase of gt2as frame 4 stroke hs 142 and 4 g tranny and springer forks, headset and 1-1 1/8 adaptors

From sick bike parts i have a chaining adaptor, bottoom bracket adaptor, 206mm cartridge, 152 mm crank arm set which i hope fit without mods as it will be close,hd throttle assembly with kill switch and cable along with additional longer lenght cable in case and ofcorse a t-shirt.

From kings: 415 hd chain to have some extra on hand, and a chain breaker kit, and a uni bicycle tool kit.

Bicycledesigner: motorized rear disc brake kit, center kickstand and a led bullet light.

From ebay: junkyrusty bikes- (2 ) 2" x 24 powdercoated black rims, 25 red anodized cable caps and 5 red anodized barrel adjusters. From wheel and sprocket- sturmey archer srk3 3 speed rear hub.

And i cant remember where but i also have a double disc brake kit complete with rotors,calipers, brackets,cables and pull levers.

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
So i have a question for yous guys, i would like to run a dual disk brake up front. My measurement up front on the monarch springer front forks is 108mm so i assume as everything is loosely put together its ment for 100mm axle. Does anyone know of a axle size to make dual disk possible. And yes i have the dropouts for disc brakes, i do need a second set still to get one for the other side but im looking to get my hub so i can run my wheels down to the local shop to get laced. I was going to do them myself which i know i could figure out but with measuring for size and dishing, and all that jazz that goes with lacing some things are better left to professionals, and ill stick to lacing my new work boots lol.ive learned to pick my battles plus itll score bonus points with the shop as hes not to enthusastic to help when you start talking motorized bicycle. But he has a excelent used parts basement i rummage on a regular basis.

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
No one else knows anyone who carrys that hub??????
Didnt get much done this week. Got parts in but the rims are going back, there was quality issues so i am going a diffrent route. I did design a motor mount plate, i have getting water jet cut hopefully tomorrow, once i check fitment i will share specs and could possibly supply a few if anyone were interested. I will hopefully be posting some progress this weekend between work .

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Strangely I am gathering parts for a similar build. I looked at the same 24" wheels you are returning. What was the issue?

I'm thinking of building this type of tranny into this build. It has worked wonderfully and has been trouble free so far. An IGH is very nice to use, shifting can be conducted on the fly or while stopped. With this hub there is engine braking which I like better than freewheeling on the back down.

I am running the cheaper HS49cc kit with the double chain reduction box. Will fab my own mounts using the stock plate as the basis. Am interested to see what you are having made. http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.php?p=600967&postcount=39

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Well for 2in wide rims i wpuld assume they would have been double walled and werent, then the "powdercoat" was suspect as it seem to scratch to easy, so it must not have be curied properly or were just puff canned. Im fimiliar with powdercoat and it generaly pretty duriable which could be advoided but getting the anidozed i guess. There was also shavings left in several spot holes and a few were even burred up. All stuff could certainly be overcome but i would rather just start with the right product. Plus they were questionable 0n fitmint also. I ended up going with alex dx32 24 in rim and getting them local and down at the shop getting put together. Those rims are 1 1/2 in wide, i will post pics once its in. I also got 2.5 in tires and will be close on chain clarence.

For the plate its similar to the sbp shift kit. I made a 4x7 plate with a 1in fold down on the 7 in side [. The 4in side i will bend on my bench vice and will use inexpensive napa muffler clanps just like sbp kit. I shoved the slanteye as far foward as i could and slotter the plate to slide left and right and inch and figured i could adjust my chain tension via an idlier pully (fancy name for a adjustiable but fix position spring tensioner).just found your thread and see you aslo use em alot lol I will see if i have a pic to follow i left at the cutter..flg.

Last edited:

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Left side is 3 1/4 wide and right is 2 5/8. Its all one plate like i said i just going to bend them at home. The only thing i forgot was to have em radius them corners. I made an 18gauge mock up at home and i know my chain lines up for sure from trying the cheap kit mount. Im hoping to have clarence for the porely placed gas petcock but theres various ways around that out there.

3/16 plate may be a little heavy 1/8 would probarly sufice and i would move the slots up a half an inch towards the front. I also changed that measurement to 54mm center left to right and 122mm center front to back. You can also slot the holes where the muffler clamps go to take the size of your clamp for your tubes. I also forgot to have him round the corners to eliminate the sharp corners which can be achieved with a grinder. But over all it works. This was edited after i had on made.

Attachments

Last edited:

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
I almost forgot my reason for checking in today. I am confused by the head tube. It does not fit 1 1/8 cups for a 1 1/8 headset as i also realize i ordered the monarch forks to a 1in headset i have to adapt to. When i measure the tube where the bearing cup would go it is 44mm, am i using the wrong set up???

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Where did you get that mount for the tranny. I was trying to do that with a trike build i started with a sachs mini bike motor from a arctic cat minibike with a built in 2spd tranny on the motor. Nice bike what section is that under?

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Super Nice Build so far, I just completed a build on the same frame and was in over my head and just ended up going the simple route with donor wheels with the look I wanted. Coaster brake on rear backed up with a rear pull brake. No front brakes...yikes...I know that's bad. I just couldn't wait the build out in trying to figure out the wheel set up. Your way beyond my knowledge base!
but wow your bike is gonna be sweet.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Where did you get that mount for the tranny. I was trying to do that with a trike build i started with a sachs mini bike motor from a arctic cat minibike with a built in 2spd tranny on the motor. Nice bike what section is that under?
I fabbed it.

Wasn't hard to make. I used common split lock collars to make it adjustable vertically for chain tension. I also made it wider than the hub to be able to shift side to side for chain line adjustment. Its a rock solid mount. The build of this bike is in DIY maybe a couple of pages back.

I bought a frame when Kings was blowing them out for $99 shipped. Surprisingly it came with the head set. I just measured mine and it is also 44mm. I just bought the a Monarch style springer from them for yep $99 shipped, its 1 I/8. Probably tailored for this frame. I am no expert on which head sets to use. I have chased around looking in the past and with careful measurements got the right stuff. I imagine Kings has the proper set.

On most of my builds I mount engines to the frame on two pieces of angle iron either bolted or welded to the frame. I'm no fan of clamp mounts though some times that's all you can do. I will use the stock plate trimmed a bit and bolted to the angles. A crush sleeve through the frame will allow the angles to be tightened firmly with out crushing the aluminum tubing. The angles are streamlined into a nice shape and look pretty good when finished.

Thanks for the drawing of your plate.

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
I started both these projects 2 years ago and got fustrated and busy at work so i put em away. I figured id get the gt up n going as it will replace my walmart 7 speed and be my main bike. The walmart is just starting to show its age and insted of putting good money into a cheap throwaway bicycle ill put it in to the gt. I had a jackshaft set up cut by the same guy making this motor plate that just needs to be welded, for the trike but the samething im running into with that job, no mount today as promised. It took me a month and a half to get them parts back and i will remind him of that when he hits my pocket for this job. I will be stopping in monday morning and looking for someone else in the area with a waterjet for future projects.

Attachments

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Ok after giving up on the other guy who stiffed me, found a guy with a one day turn around and it works as planned. I added some notes to the earlier post with layout for the plate. I can also have em maid if anyones interested. Still have issues with crank clarence i will addlocatalong with the crappy fuel petcock location. Hopefully i will get a call to pick up my rear wheel soon and start alignment and get moving along here.

Attachments

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Thanks guys. Its probarly a little over stout. Would use 1/8in plate next time. 506 aliuminum almost doubled the price. It weights as much as the frame i think though. Ill have to weight it. This frame is so tight. I wish i had one of them frames kcvales got. That thing looks like you can fit a 22hp honda in it. .wee..wee..wee. and nice wide rearend

sissytrikerider

Jun 25, 2011
buffalo
Well got some progress today, got my rear wheel back, stoked. Have just enough chain clerence . I went with alex dx32 which is a 1 1/2 wide double wall black rim with machined side wall(thought the were painted walls but they still look good) silver eyelets and brass chrome plated nipples, black spokes. cloth rim strips, thorn proof tubes and maxxis hook worm 24x2.5 tire.. the front rim in the pic is just mock up as im still waiting for u.s. cycles to restock my hub. But i have everything else. I still have to figure out a tensioner for one of the chains, leaning towards tension the motor drive via the rear tire and the pedal drive via fixed clog wheel sprocket since its less important and i dont plan on pedeling other the freewheeling backswards pass the fuzz.brnot
I also threw on the exhaust just fot fitment, pipe will work got a new muffler, crank arms and other stuff on the way. Where are the drones to drop this stuff direct a hour after i order lol.

Attachments