Schwinn Krate Build Log

GoldenMotor.com

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
I thought I would make a build log of my second bike. I've gotten the hang of these things the first go around, so I am hoping I can get it right the first time on this build.

I have a Schwinn Krate (Black Friday model). Not technically a vintage bike because it was made in 2007 as a special deal with Wal-Mart, but I felt this was the appropriate section.

Picked her up from craigslist this morning:

I ordered a Grubee Slant head, Manic Mechanic adapter and 40 tooth sprocket to accompany her.

Once I get the engine I am going to measure the head bolts and order a hardware kit from SB along with their HD throttle. I can't stand the factory one. As for a tensioner I am going to get Pirate Cycles Kip Springer tensioner if I have room. It worked flawlessly on my other bike (aside from the #41 chain "trimming" it :)) and I like having the spring loaded tensioner. I don't know if the chain will clear the chainstay though. We shall see. Maybe with a 36T sprocket?

Going to have to figure out a brake setup. I'd like to keep the rear coaster, and add a front drum brake. The front wheel is 16" though. don't know if they make a 16" drum wheel.

Last edited:

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
I don't want to rely on the coaster brake alone, but wanted to maintain the integrity of the old school look.

I ordered a 36h 16" rim and a 36h Sturmey Archer 90mm drum brake. A shop locally said they could make the wheel and custom spokes it would require, but won't guarantee my safety on my contraption. :D

Also got a new springer fork that is built for a Krate on eBay since this one is apparently a little tweaked to one side.

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
Got my sprocket adapter, 40T sprocket, and intake today. All very nicely machined pieces. The sprocket will take a little bit of sanding to get some excess off, but other than that all looks really nice.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Heh. This is gonna be cool. Cant wait to see how the motor gets shoehorned in there. We'll want pics of wheel stands and stoppies with that front brake on there :)

Tippyman

Aug 1, 2010
Virginia
Got the engine kit and front drum today. Have to wait for the rim before I can get the front wheel assembly laced together.

Now that I have my engine kit I have the fuel petcock, and can begin building my super fancy PBR gas tank.

dash

May 30, 2010
phoenix
nice i want to put a kit on my muscle bike but i cant squeez the engine in the frame i will be watching this one