Caviness Motorbike Co. 2010

GoldenMotor.com

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok updates:

Got the custom Manic adapter put on my Bendix 76 and a 40 tooth from Pirate cycles. Also, used my new dremel that I got for father's day and matched the exhause and aluminum gasket as best I could to the head.

Wow, the bike is screaming now once it's warmed up.

Also, I received my riding boots that I won off ebay, those will be nice this winter.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Been a while since I've updated but here's some things I've done, will post some pics soon.

I have on order a worksman front drum wheel from Sportscarpat but the delivery is long due to production etc..

I'm modifying the inside of the stock muffler and have painted it a rusty/black color and did some dremeling to match it up last night.

I purchased a Carbide light for the front end and fabricated a bracket to hold it in place.

Also, I have on order a nice Brooks seat. I'll post pics of the lamp and seat below.

Attachments

Mr_R.I.DING

Dec 28, 2010
Adelaide
Installed a front light but I'm not totally pleased with the mounting yet. I hooked it up to the white wire and it drained too much from the CDI and killed the engine. I replaced the bulbs with small wattage ones from Radio Shack, there are two .25mA bulbs instead of the much brighter .45mA 2.7 watt bulbs the light came with. The light works once the bike is warmed up a bit and idle is high but the bulbs are not that bright. I think I'm going to invest in one of the wonderful creations coils on eBay and see how that works out as it is separate from the Magneto and should provide the full 3 Watts. In the mean time I'll just run one of the bulbs in the light as it is mostly for safety. New picture once I get the mounting setup like I envision.
why dont you use a sturmey archer xl-fdd front drum hub?

Sturmey Archer

no extra wires, route it up through the fork leg, get full wattage for the headlight........

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok got the front Worksman from sportscarpat and it Rocks! These wheels are truly heavy duty, more so that I thought. Now I'm going to have to get one for the front. I'll post updated pics once I get the seat.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Very nice job on your build. I like the Red and Black color scheme, not too many people have a red MB. Glad you shared it with us! :)

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok got the seat mounted (after several adjustments) and I also tried out the old carbide light. After some cleaning and testing I did get it to work but it's not the best light source that's for sure. Also, I believe the carbide I ordered was not the greatest as it had tons of black carbon smoke etc. As a result I'm going to retrofit the old light with a modern high power LED light internally much like cobrafreak did on his 1911 Indian build.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok here's the latest pic. I finally got the rear where with mounting adapter put on and adjusted. Also, I had to adjust the carb. a bit as i was getting some leakage. I figured out I had a needle from a standard NT carb in there and not the Speed NT carb. There was a slight difference as measured on my caliper. Also, I added in a vintage Horn from the 20-30's.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Got the Stewart Warner speedo installed and it seems to be working fine. It's an older one so it bounces around a bit but seems to be fairly accurate. Cruising around 20-25 and tops around 40-45 downhill.

Attachments

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Very nice .. the tank is cool , its nice to see a different looking tank once in a while .
you get too used to seeing the peanuts , and the inframe tanks that just follow the shape of the tubes .

The all black wheels look really good with everything else you've got going on with that bike .

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Got my old style handlebars in and used some muriatic acid and salt water to age them a bit along with a new throttle from eBay. The throttle is for a vintage BSA, Triumph etc. I've gotten everything mounted up and the bike is looking more vintage than ever circa 1909-1920ish. The carbide light has LED's now and though it's not totally bright enough to ride at night it certainly shows up. The pullback vintage style handlebars came from J.C. Whitney. I'll post pictures soon.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Latest pic of the bike. I like the style of the pull back bars but not the rise, I wish they were about half as high. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a set of bars from sportscarpat probably the all silver and paint the bars red like some of the old Indians or maybe black like I had previously. Ahh the motorbike an ever evolving hobby....

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
That's an awesome looking bike!

Do you know the circumference and width of those moped tires? Were they much heavier than bicycle tires?

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks, sorry I don't know too much about the tires as there isn't that much info. available for them. They are much heavier than standard bike tires and I believe they have a steel belt around the outer edge. They are 26 x 2 tires and I don't have any issues with chain rub. There is supposedly a white version available called the Continental Retro-ride but I can't find anyone that has them in stock.