Wooden Gas Tank

GoldenMotor.com

lostinidaho

Apr 12, 2010
idaho
I have seen several threads about a wooden gas tank. Most end with no success.

I am working on my second build. The first I soldered a tin tank up. It turned out good but it took many hours. the hours seemed long because I wanted to be riding. I am not a experienced metal worker. The corners were the hardest to make sure they were soldered completely. It is also huge in capacity. 3.5 quarts I bet.

For my second build I thought I would try something different. Same tank shape different material. The tank is a 64 oz ligther fluid can. Dump the lighter fluid be soldering. Just a friendly suggestion.

The wooden shell is built of 1/8 inch luan plywood. It take simple curves nicely. It has been nice because work has kept me busy and I can get good work done in a few minutes each night.

The metal tank will sit inside and be glued with construction adhesive. The top will then be enclosed with more luan plywood.

I intened to paint this tank. After filling the grain it will be smooth as glass.

With this technique you could easily build a fine woody tank too.

For you long distance riders, look at your asian food stores for sesame oil cans. 2 liter, 2.5 and 3 liters are available. The 2.5 was square in cross section would be great for a retro bike with a straight upper tube. I bet the italian food stores have some good olive oil cans too.

Have a great day

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
That is some fine work, I really like the idea o the can inside the wood tank. I have a friend that is a master carpenter that I am trying to talk into this type of tank and woody bike design.

Check out his last bike: manfredmachine

Keep up the good work: I will be watching this build

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Great work,so will the cap go through a wooden top? Or will it be a removable top..when you need to add gas? Either way it is sweet!

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Why build it out of wood if you plan on painting it? It would look like a metal tank if you can't SEE that it is wood. That aside I think what you are doing is great! Good luck!!

Terry

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Good thinking, wood tank, fenders, chain guard, stained and poly'ed up, would be a nice theme. I wonder if the Creme tank sealant would work on wood??

Mac

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That Looks awesome. But I think over time it will soake up spiled gass unless you glas or coat the inside?
Has anyone ever thought of useing thin strips of ceder like a ceder strip cannue?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Being an old, antique furniture restorer my thoughts would be to build the tank as you are but cover it with wood veneer. Lots of wood grains available from mild to wild. It comes preglued like sandpaper discs and you only have to remove the paper backing a bit at a time and put it on.

Stain it and 6 or 8 coats of polyureathane, wet sanded and buffed and put your sun glasses on.

If you go to "pictures by speedydick-photobucket" or the side car thread on Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles you can see how I built the sidecar using strips of used mahogany from door jambs my brother saved {an absolutely shamless plug}. It is nice to have a wood working shop but it isn't necessary.
As Cutis says coat the inside of the wood around the tank with something gas proof like epoxy. I had a first hand experience with that. Not good.

Got questions? I'll try my best to answer them.

Steve.

lostinidaho

Apr 12, 2010
idaho
Thanks for the thoughts and encouragement
I will keep people upto date.

The bike is for my daughter. She is not into the wood theme.

I thought this might be a good idea to share that don't have the tools or the skills for a custom tank project. This is just a way to solve the custom tank problem.

I have thought of the wood theme bike (tank, fenders, chin guard and especially the side car).

In fact I already have a wood themed vehicle.

Attachments

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I've heard on these therads that clear coat sold at RC planes etc hobby shops hold up against gasoline and won't melt so it doesn't ruin paint or what ever it is covering

lostinidaho

Apr 12, 2010
idaho
I think a matching bike would be nice. I have contemplated redoing my first build to a woodie theme. I have to investigate the side car more. That is what is nice about this hobby you can rethink and redo.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Yes Sir, found out about that. Swore up and down when this sidecar of mine was finished, I was done building. Silverbear just sent me another Monark frame and fenders and I spent the day planning the next one.

No more money sucking restorations though.

Steve.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Building things or restoring stuff as a hobby is a good way to spend money..when your done you have a piece of history a lot better than playing golf I think..I have never played golf

Last edited: