Macargi Jaos 3.0 - 212 Pred - TC2 troque converter

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have 2 more new 4-stroke builds coming next week but they are something new to me, they will be all custom (no kit with all the parts).

The first is a chopper.
Picture this $310 Micargi Jaos 3.0 Chopper bicycle
http://www.silverstarcruisers.com/v...Micargi-Jaos-3.0-Chopper/flypage-ask.tpl.html

With this 6.5 HP (212cc) 4-stroke engine
http://www.harborfreight.com/65-hp-212cc-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-69730.html

With the tank, exhaust and air cleaner changed out of course.

With this Auto-shifting Torque Converter transmission.

http://gokartsusa.com/GTC-TC2-Gokart-Torque-Converter-30-Series.aspx

If you don't know what the difference between a centrifugal clutch and trorqe converter is read through that long TC2 page info but in a nutshell it is a 3 speed automatic.

The other still has no defined frame but will most likely be on this big frame.

I actually have a paid order for another one of those with with same 49cc engine, the bike is here and good 'ole reliable HS49 and 4G transfer case in tansit so if I'm lucky I'll be able to compare the two side by but not likely as customer want their want their bikes when ready but I think it's a moot point anyway, I don't think even my best 49cc JS shifters could hold a candle to what these things should be able to do ;-}

One kink may be my best friend/paid shop help/welders recent mishap...
He thought it would be fun to get on his skateboard and make a sail and go ridding in the recent monsoon wind like we did 30 years ago.

Fun as heck he said for about 2 minutes but it didn't end well.
Depending on his knee he may or not be able to do any work here for awhile but on the bright side he has decided that like me we just can't do what we did half a long lifetime ago and expect to walk away.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
we ain't as young as we think we are but we still want to do the same things we did once upon a time in the same good old ways

a good lesson for the younger set -- use it while you can

it all goes by like the blink of an eye

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
What bike frame is the second one..... nice looking bike...
29" Macargi 'Fatal Love', got another here now for the same build.

The Chopper is here...

After doing all the numbers the customer changed his mind (not enough money) so it's getting a 66cc YD Skyhawk and Manic Maniac Hub but most importantly a new 26" front wheel with disc.

I really would have liked to drop that 4-stroke and TC in it but the costs just to high as the Torque Converter was $80 more than the price with the extra parts not included and a whooping $37 for shipping.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sorry the customer changed his mind. I wanted to see how the converter worked with the 6.5 Predator engine. Would you have left the engine stock? Removed the governor?
SB

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sorry the customer changed his mind. I wanted to see how the converter worked with the 6.5 Predator engine. Would you have left the engine stock? Removed the governor?
SB
Ironically now that I cancelled all the parts shipments I got a call from a new customer this morning who is on his way over now want the same setup, 212 Pred and T1002P TC. Bike choice is unknown but I know some bikes that would be much easier to do it on like the 29" Fatal Love, guess I'll know soon enough.

As for the governor and what not I'll do what I usally do with something I haven't tried before, do it stock and see how it runs and then see if and and what ways it may need improving but I'm thinking leaving it stock might be just dandy as 6.5 HP is a lot of ponies ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Re: Macargi Fatal Love - 212 Pred - TC2 troque converter

Cha-Ching, got a pile of 100's here to do the 212 pred with TC2 TC on the 29" Macargi Fatal Love like this 49cc version I did and doing again for another customer.

This will be a gray one and as a super double bonus the bike shop around the corner has one in stock at a discount for me.
It will also be getting additional front and rear C brakes so the coaster brake is a 3rd brake not the sole brake, and 'bullet proof' wheels meaning HD tubes and good liners.

It is fun and rewarding to build and keep improving your own personal ride but for me anyway more fun and rewarding to build all kinds of things and get paid to do it ;-}

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. Excuse me. Someone whose knowledge I respect here told me that: the GTC torque converter works good and is without problems on STOCK motors. Thankyou.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Hi. Excuse me. Someone whose knowledge I respect here told me that: the GTC torque converter works good and is without problems on STOCK motors. Thankyou.
Thank YOU, I did my research and it should be an interesting build for me and little doubt it will make the customer happy unless it tears the bike apart but I know the quality of these bikes and won't bet against them.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zean, Did your informant suggest it is not a good idea with a non-stock, modified 212? I'm thinking about this combination (212 Preddy and this torque converter), but am also thinking to remove the governor and do the basic modifications to make the engine safe at higher RPMs. In looking at the different models of the torque converter it looks to me like they are basically the same, with the ones recommended for 8 hp to `13 hp designed for a 1 inch crankshaft. This one is for 3/4". Just wondering since I may start out stock, but if there isn't enough power then I want to be able to modify the engine without damaging the torque converter.

The bike I have in mind is actually a light motorcycle, a Harley Davidson Sprint made in the 1960's and which had a 250cc four stroke. I want to do it similar to the old Simplex with a belt final drive to a sheave on the rear wheel if I can. With the multi speed torque converter I think the 212 might be enough, but then I'm also considering a sidecar for it which will rob some power. Just trying to plan ahead. Very interested in this build of KC's.
SB

zean

Dec 5, 2010
california
Hi. Your welcome KCvale and, excuse me if I may respond to silverbear, I asked if the GTC torque converter fitted to a Honda GX160 was safe and reliable, and that was the answer I received almost to the letter. Some people had belt issues with clone engines that I read one person solved by adjusting the center to center distance between the two pulleys as specified by the manufacturer. Thankyou.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I should just delete this topic as everything has changed.

Th JAOS is getting a 66cc 2-stroke and the Fatal Love a 79 Pred with the torque converter so essentially this topic is dead.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I should just delete this topic as everything has changed.

Th JAOS is getting a 66cc 2-stroke and the Fatal Love a 79 Pred with the torque converter so essentially this topic is dead.
Well... leaving us all with a cliff hanger, eh? I think it would be nice if you went ahead and built one so we would know how the story ends. Ah well... it was a good story, too!
SB

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
how do you put a sprocket on a 68 spoke wheel ??? i have puma gts
You don't, not on a 24" wheel anyway, I couldn't even get a maniac maniaic hub sprocket on so I swapped out both wheels for 36 spokers and put a 26" wheel with disc on the front.

3x24" back wheel, 1 1/4x26" front wheel.

I still need to weld the front mount on and attach the gas tank and it has an SBP expansion chamber coming.

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
Very nice. the Puma gts (not 3.0) has 26" wheels front and back. Can you tell me where you got your wheels from and maybe how much they were ? I'd love to put a disc brake on the front... but keep my springer. someone sells a caliper mount for the springer.

I really like that beefy rear tire, so I might choose to swap my 26" for a 24". however, I kinda would like to retain my coaster brake... maybe... the front disc might make it non necessary tho.

anyway - parts info is what I need at this point...

cheers

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Very nice. the Puma gts (not 3.0) has 26" wheels front and back. Can you tell me where you got your wheels from and maybe how much they were ?
I got the 26" wheel, disc, caliper, skinny tire HD tube and liner form Try Me Bicycles around the corner from me for $145.
Since it's on the same receipt the speedo was $26.95

For the back 36 spoke 24" wheel I went to Sun Cyclery on on 7th and about Campbell.
They let me swap in the stock 24" wheel for a coaster brake 24" wheel, Tube and liner which was dandy for them as they are not cheap wheel but dandy for the customer too as he has no need for a set rims.

I'd love to put a disc brake on the front... but keep my springer. someone sells a caliper mount for the springer.
I have to advise against that, you really want a ridged front fork for a disc meaning it won't move forward and backwards like a spinger does and bolt on disc stuff is really pretty iffy if you know what I mean.

I really like that beefy rear tire, so I might choose to swap my 26" for a 24". however, I kinda would like to retain my coaster brake... maybe... the front disc might make it non necessary tho.
cheers
I would advise against fat 24" back wheel as well, though this bikes retained a coaster brake it was a pain, I ended up using the Manic hub mount and then drillling mounting holes in a 36T sprocket for it so it will have some speed.

That and getting 2 chains around a 3" tire is just not easy.
I'd suggest just using a 36 spoke 26" and put a 2.75" wide back tire and use the kit sprocket.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
This bike is out the door.

2012 66cc Skyhawk with Poo-Poo expansion chamber pipe, 36T rear sprocket on Manic Maniac hub mount and new 24" 36 spoke wheel with 3" wide tire.

The 24" front wheel was replaced with a 26" 36 spoke disc wheel and 1.5" thin tire and the disc is outstanding with those solid triple tree forks.

The tank was mounted by flipping the mount straps over and bolting them to the top bar with a tap.

The handlebars were swapped for beach cruiser handlebars mounted upside down and it has a speedo which says it does 33MPH and this just break in.

Note the poo-poo pipe was a last minute change after the customer came to get it so the following pips show the bike with the stock pipe.

Not bad for my 1st chopper build ehh?

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
You don't, not on a 24" wheel anyway, I couldn't even get a maniac maniaic hub sprocket on so I swapped out both wheels for 36 spokers and put a 26" wheel with disc on the front.

3x24" back wheel, 1 1/4x26" front wheel.

I still need to weld the front mount on and attach the gas tank and it has an SBP expansion chamber coming.

I am not a stretch cruiser fan by any means at all. But this is beautiful!

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
This bike is out the door.

2012 66cc Skyhawk with Poo-Poo expansion chamber pipe, 36T rear sprocket on Manic Maniac hub mount and new 24" 36 spoke wheel with 3" wide tire.

The 24" front wheel was replaced with a 26" 36 spoke disc wheel and 1.5" thin tire and the disc is outstanding with those solid triple tree forks.

The tank was mounted by flipping the mount straps over and bolting them to the top bar with a tap.

The handlebars were swapped for beach cruiser handlebars mounted upside down and it has a speedo which says it does 33MPH and this just break in.

Note the poo-poo pipe was a last minute change after the customer came to get it so the following pips show the bike with the stock pipe.

Not bad for my 1st chopper build ehh?
I think it would be sick looking if you squeezed a 29" wheel on the front.