12v mini-gen

GoldenMotor.com

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
Bought a 12v mini-gen from Mr. Wonderful on ebay, due to the weather up here, haven't been able to try it out. Well I did yesterday, and it only backfired. Reread the instructions, checked the gap, still nothing. Installed new spark plug, still nothing, installed a light, still nothing.

I emailed him and asked for a refund. From what I've read on the forum he will do what's right.

Scrollerguy

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If you installed the generator correctly, and all wires are connected properly and nothing is grounded where it shouldn't be, then you should not be having any problems. I used to have a 6v mini gen I bought from them, followed the installation intructions, and it worked perfectly.

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
What I did was to wire up the turn signals, connect the power wire from the gen and ground my other wire to the engine. When it didn't start like that, i removed the ground from the engine, and after doing the spark plug gap, tried again, and it only backfired. The next thing I did was to just leave the red wire from the mini gen disconnected from everything, no start. Onto the next step, I installed a small 12 volt light and no start.

Did I miss something? I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Scrollerguy

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Maybe read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-fire

Again, there is no basis for assuming that a backfire will harm the engine's magneto. I submit that it was coincidence in your case or the mag/CDI failed momentarily and fired the plug during the intake stroke igniting unburned fuel charge in the case and intake manifold.

If that happened you might get a "backfire" but it didn't cause magneto failure.

Tom

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
Big, I did remove the mini-gen, pushed the bike through the snow to the clear road and it fired right up, runs great. Just not with the mini-gen.

Scrollerguy

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Maybe read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-fire

Again, there is no basis for assuming that a backfire will harm the engine's magneto. I submit that it was coincidence in your case or the mag/CDI failed momentarily and fired the plug during the intake stroke igniting unburned fuel charge in the case and intake manifold.

If that happened you might get a "backfire" but it didn't cause magneto failure.

Tom
I'm not really that worried about it. I don't mess with ht's anymore, and all the lights on my new bike are going to be battery powered. I offered a possible theory, I didn't think it would turn into a whole discussion.

scrollerguy

Nov 8, 2008
Midcoast Maine
Re: 12v mini-gen-Update

Got an e-mail from wonderful creations, I am going to try some other things which he suggested, will try to get this thing working. Very satisfied with his quick response.

If I can get it to work, I will keep everybody posted.

Scrollerguy

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
What I did was to wire up the turn signals, connect the power wire from the gen and ground my other wire to the engine. When it didn't start like that, i removed the ground from the engine, and after doing the spark plug gap, tried again, and it only backfired. The next thing I did was to just leave the red wire from the mini gen disconnected from everything, no start. Onto the next step, I installed a small 12 volt light and no start.

Did I miss something? I'm open for any and all suggestions.

Scrollerguy
Are you using the 12v charger as well? Ive never used the gen directly...not sure tou can without blowing the lights. theres something about using a battery too that buffers the current and keep it from spiking.
That being said, the only thing i can think of is that:
1) somewhere, you grounded out the motors existing magneto possibly by connecting the white wire to the system intentionally or unintentionally
2) you somehow wired the two in series and they are cancelling each other out

the answer to both can be solved by being sure that the magnetos' positive leads are electrically isolated from each other. they can share a common ground though (these are the mounting screws that attach them to the motor)

zpt ....LOVE that one