Another Genisis 29er build

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I have not been on the forum in along time but still building bikes. Mostly cruisers but I missed my mountain bike so much just had to build another for myself. Its up and running but still messing with the exhaust I stole from my sons bike and I'm thinking about another shift kit bike. I've only got a few miles on it now but so far the bike is really comfortable and handles well. I'm geared on the high side with a 41 with the big tires but cruise's really nice at 27mph and the pipe allows the engine to pull pretty hard from 22mph up to 32mph then I think the nt carb just isnt delivering enough fuel. Anyways here it is.

Attachments

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Looks good! Xchamber is crazy! Pick up an RT carb with a free flowing filter. Also a quality ngk plug/wire is a good idea. That'll help get the fuel/spark you need.

Last edited:

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Looks good! Xchamber is crazy! Pick up an RT carb with a free flowing filter. Also a quality ngk plug/wire is a good idea. That'll help get the fuel/spark you need.
Thanks! Just in the 15 miles I rode yesterday I got comments on the pipe! It sounds really good. I'm using a mini muffler from sbp and the pipe its self is for a pit bike that I got off ebay years ago for 10 bucks. I've had nothing but bad luck with RT carbs- every other one I get I have to send back (this is about my 35th build). I do have the stock filter housing drilled with extra holes for better flow, not pretty but is effective. I like the nt's but think this bike might deserve a CNS or a Del orto. I have already decked the cylinder for better compression and it has the correct piston (PK80) to run the Billet High compression head from Manic Mechanic. I just happen to have one on hand waiting for the right bike! All my builds get auto plug wires and NGK B6HS plugs- they work well here in Az. I guess its just a question of how much I want to put into this bike. Nice to have a mountain bike again after riding cruisers for the past year or so. This is a pic of my main ride- usualy has a trailer and a kid behind it!

Attachments

Last edited:

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Looks good. I'm alway glad to see another Wally genesis 29er build here. I think my
Bike has held up well. I'm almost thinking I making another one for my
Next build.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I was admiring one today at wally world. Are the rims even made out of metal though? they felt like some kind of cheapo composite

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I like the 29r . i have a pretty cool genisis. your looks good too. if you check out my profile you can see mine. its pretty cool that alot of people are doing the genisis.
Ya I've seen pics of your bike and I like it alot! So far the bike is working out really well except for a two things. The brakes are wearing out pretty quick, not a big deal because I keep good rear pads on hand but havent looked into the front pads yet. Secondly I can already tell the rear tire is gonna wear out pretty quick- as expected with a knobby on the pavement. Unfortunately my favorite tire is not available in a 29 so I'll be keeping my eyes out for a good street worthy tire.

richirich

Aug 16, 2011
Port Angeles, Washington
check with your local bike shop. i got my my continental tourride 1.65. they had to order them. online i could not find any i like or the right size , but the bike shop had a big full catalog with about every size imaginable. i have rode all summer with no flats(they have punture protection) and i still have about half the tread left.

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Call the Kent genesis hotline. They will ask for your serial number of the bike. If you still have the paper proving you bought it they will ship you a new caliper and pads for free, if you dont have it as I did then they will charge you 5 bucks for caliper and pads shipped. Pretty good deal.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Gotta love the ride of the 29's, for sure. Nice bike! I'm going to miss going to Wally world for $10 tires though, heh heh. One thing you'll have to deal with putting a shift kit in the 18" frame is carb clearance, it's pretty tight once you get the kits rear bracket on.

http://motorbicycling.com/members/killercanuck-albums-29er-j-shaft-picture2259-left-side.jpg

http://motorbicycling.com/members/k...e2264-just-enough-clearance-straight-head.jpg

So that's something to look forward to if you do pull the trigger on a J-shaft. :)

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Thanks! Just in the 15 miles I rode yesterday I got comments on the pipe! It sounds really good. I'm using a mini muffler from sbp and the pipe its self is for a pit bike that I got off ebay years ago for 10 bucks. I've had nothing but bad luck with RT carbs- every other one I get I have to send back (this is about my 35th build). I do have the stock filter housing drilled with extra holes for better flow, not pretty but is effective. I like the nt's but think this bike might deserve a CNS or a Del orto. I have already decked the cylinder for better compression and it has the correct piston (PK80) to run the Billet High compression head from Manic Mechanic. I just happen to have one on hand waiting for the right bike! All my builds get auto plug wires and NGK B6HS plugs- they work well here in Az. I guess its just a question of how much I want to put into this bike. Nice to have a mountain bike again after riding cruisers for the past year or so. This is a pic of my main ride- usualy has a trailer and a kid behind it!
love that duelly

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Was going to ride to the park to get down the drive way and have the freewheel come apart on me! I've never had this happen before on any bike. Must be a manufacturer defect or poor installation. I'm gonna see if I can locate the pawls for it but have a feeling I'll be ordering a new freewheel. I'm looking at the tz31 with the larger first gear in preparation for a shift kit. Thanks for the input on kent hotline- havent gotten to them yet but I will be looking for brakes soon as the bike is on two wheels again. What a drag.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
So the freewheel let loose on my bike the other day! Very strange as I've never had this happen on any bike I've had. Think I'll be calling that hotline # sooner than expected- thanks for the input Acraze. Lost some of the bearings as this hub/freewheel uses loose bearings and seems the "pawls" broke/separated and the metal ring that holds the pawls got stretched. Gonna see if my friend can help me repair it but at least I've found one on ebay for less than 20 but still a bummer as this should not have happened. I've got just over 110 miles on it and not much of that was ever pedaled so must be a defect or poor installation.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Got a new freewheel installed. Nice to have a good bike parts source- he had three sitting on the bench for me to choose from! New freewheel, new kick stand, new handle bars all for 10 bucks?!?!?! Good to know people is all I can say. While I was getting it back on its wheels I also installed the billet head I've had laying around. Seems to pull better for me on the bottom end but I need more time on it to really tell. Now the forks are feeling a little loose, which I have been expecting, so time to search for Roc Shox that will fit.