Schwinn Link?

GoldenMotor.com

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Nobody? I remember seeing a thread where one fellow did this, but it was an older model of this bike. The current model has oval sectioned tubes (the front is 2.125" x 1.625") but otherwise it looks like it might fit. The bike looks to be about the best built bike that Walmart carries so I'm a bit surprised it isn't more popular for conversion.

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
i am sure it will work just fine , i got a motor on the way to put on my Schwinn avenue hybrid , they are well built tough bikes , they may not win a cool contest LOL , but the sure are comfortable to ride , my frame is aluminum , not so easy for welding modifications , but i plan to bolt everything on anyway , what drive system did you have in mind ?

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
i got a good look at that bike a wally world today while i was looking for that double front basket for my bike ,dang it all sold out , but it looks like it has plenty of room to mount a motor and that bent tube looks pretty cool ...shft.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
That was the only 26" wheeled bike I tried that came close to fitting me (I'm 6'5"), but even still it felt a bit small for me.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I've got the blue Schwinn Link from Wal-mart, and can give a fair review of it...........................................

I've been riding it everyday for over 6 months and put 4,200 miles on it on my friction drive setup.

It is a decent bike, however like any bicycle that is made by pacific cycle for big box retailers, it is not the best.

This is what has broke or is its weak points.

The bottombrackets on all pacific cycles(schwinn, GT) that big box retail shops sell are crap. Mine is about shot, I had a GT before made my Pacific Cycle that I bought from SportsAuthority and same thing. The bottombrackets do not last.

The threaded thru axle locked up on it. It was due to the super dry conditions of the Florida Keys though. The salty/humid air sucks/drys the lubricant out of hub.

I broke 5 teeth of one of the cogs on the cassette. The cassette is made of an inferior metal.

Everything else has been flawless, and the bike is still running. It is a good bike to put a motor on, not sure if the 66cc engine kit will fit in the frame and the top tube would be a challenge to mount the 66cc kit gas tank. The bike will probably last longer than the 66/80cc engine kit, you might wanna consider a friction kit for greater reliability.

Bottomline: For $159.00 new it is a sensible buy for putting an engine on.

gobigkahuna

Apr 25, 2011
E NC
Thanks Albula for the feedback. I ended up not getting this bike because at 6'5" tall, the frame is just too small for me. I could squeeze into it, the seat and handlebars have plenty of room for that, but I'd rather not. Of all the bikes I saw at Wallmart, this looked to be one of the best.

The bike I'm trying at the moment (love that 90 return policy!) is a Huffy Savannah. Very similar design to the Link, but has 700C wheels and was priced at $75 when I bought it. I'm not sure I'll keep it though (having a hard time finding a bike that I really like) but for the price I had to at least give it a try.