New project: old motorized roadbike

GoldenMotor.com

Leo Klepper

May 23, 2010
Netherlands
After i had finished my previous project, i have started a new one. I bought an old motorized roadbike (Spartamet) from an old farmer for about $ 170,-. Things i've changed: leather saddle, cruiser handlebar, leather grips, led-retro headlight, cast alloy frontwheel.

Things i want to change the coming months:
-Ducktail fenders
-Retro led backlight
-Springer fork (maybe, if i can get it fit)
-Flat tank (fake)
-Cast iron logo for front fender
-Replace ignition limiter by an unlimited version

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Very unusual but interesting build.
Was this bike originally designed for an engine or was this an early version of today's kits that were installed on a standard pedal bike? I've seen other rear hub mounted engines but never one as clean as yours. Good find. Keep us informed of your progress and performance reports. Thanks for sharing.
Tom

Leo Klepper

May 23, 2010
Netherlands
@2door: In the Netherlands this bike is far from unusual, it was designed around this motor and rearwheel and is called Spartamet (translated: Sparta with...). It's a 2-stroke 30 cc. These bikes are very cheap to get en very cheap to maintain. See also: here, here, here and here.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
They have reed valves they have program timing ,,I could see me going that slow w/a real motor and being happy,,They are sharp

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like the gas tank placement, too. Especially in flat country I imagine that engine is about all you need. (Not necessarily all you want, mind you.) Cool motor.
SB