Trike Conversion Questions...

GoldenMotor.com

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Still haven't started my MB...since I gave up working on it during the hottest part of the Arizona summer/fall. Moved to Southern Idaho 2 months ago...moving the MB inside the house to attempt to work on it soon.

Am thinking about getting the trike conversion kit from Spooky Tooth with the coaster brake conversion & gas conversion kit...due to the concern that the drive chain will kill my rear tire. I do have these questions:

1. Will I be able to keep my engine mounted in the frame?
2. Want to get 2 free style 12 ga wheels...will these work on the kit?
3. Will I need a new drive chain for the conversion?
4. Does this kit fit the Schwinn Jaguar I have?
5. Will I be able to keep my banana seat/sissy bar?

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
I would say yes to all your questions except for the wheels. Trikes require a very specific type of wheel because of the way the drive is set up. Your drive will be only one wheel so cornering is possible and you wont "plow" into turns. At the moment Im having a hard time remembering what the wheel type is called....sorry, it eludes me but check the choppersUS website or CyclesUS. They have a good line of trike parts and accy. as does Bicycle Designer. Sorry for the memory lapse and good luck.

Addendum: The wheels are called "hollow hub" wheels as there is no gearing or coaster brakes within the hubs....knew I'd remember.

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I think the kit from spooky still comes with the 'hollow-hub' ;) wheels, the first trike me n vinnie built was a kit from roland and had everything to do the conversion
it should bolt up to the jag no problem, it bolts up to the normal rear wheel dropouts :)

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I think the kit from spooky still comes with the 'hollow-hub' ;) wheels, the first trike me n vinnie built was a kit from roland and had everything to do the conversion
it should bolt up to the jag no problem, it bolts up to the normal rear wheel dropouts :)
That's what I thought...but wasn't sure.

The reason I'm thinking about this is that I less than 1/8th of an inch from the rear tire & the drive chain. Worried about the play on the chain. Plus...if people see me driving around here...maybe able to give others ideas to try it.

Just got a job today & should be back on my feet in a couple of months...so after helping the church update to digital recording for their new website...this is looking like my next project.

As for wanting to swap out wheels...want to go with the 12 ga spokes...rather than the 14 ga...because of my weight. One good thing...have started walking with my Ipod...since the clutch on my truck is blown. May have to get a fiberglass pole with an orange flag on it to complete the look.;)

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm confused...Is there a trike called a Jaguar? Did they build a 3 wheeled version of my favorite bike?
Tom
Not that I know of. Am thinking about getting the trike kit from Spooky Tooth & making my own Schwinn Jag Trike. Plus...will have the ape hangers...sissy bar & banana seat for that over 80's/AARP look.;)

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I would say yes to all your questions except for the wheels. Trikes require a very specific type of wheel because of the way the drive is set up. Your drive will be only one wheel so cornering is possible and you wont "plow" into turns. At the moment Im having a hard time remembering what the wheel type is called....sorry, it eludes me but check the choppersUS website or CyclesUS. They have a good line of trike parts and accy. as does Bicycle Designer. Sorry for the memory lapse and good luck.
Will check them out. The only place I found the retro parts I was look for on my build was Southern Cali Bikes in LA. Since I bought there earlier this past summer...he takes Google & Amazon...so that will help if I order from him in the future.

Addendum: The wheels are called "hollow hub" wheels as there is no gearing or coaster brakes within the hubs....knew I'd remember.
The only reason I'm considering getting the 12 ga wheels is due to my weight. Worried the 14 ga won't hold up.

Spooky Tooth has the rear frame...coaster brake & gas engine adapters for the build.

Got around to working on my MB last evening. Finally attached the gas line to the tank/engine with some new clamps. Found I was missing the nut the throttle line goes thru to connect to throttle. Do you have the name of this nut? As soon as I take 1 more link out of the bike chain...add oil/gas & get this nut...will be ready to get it smoking.

hot rodder

Jan 23, 2009
Hayden ID.
trike 2.JPG

trike 1.JPG

tricycle.JPG

trike rear.JPG
her is one i built started with a chopper bicycle i built myself but the one from spooky would work
fine .yes every thing you listed would work fine but not the wheels i got mine from cycle usa you need hollow hub wheel mine are 144 spoke you can also get them from husky bikes or workman makes some heavy duty ones good luck and have fun

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
View attachment 18653

View attachment 18652

View attachment 18654

View attachment 18655
her is one i built started with a chopper bicycle i built myself but the one from spooky would work
fine .yes every thing you listed would work fine but not the wheels i got mine from cycle usa you need hollow hub wheel mine are 144 spoke you can also get them from husky bikes or workman makes some heavy duty ones good luck and have fun
Very...very nicely done!!! Ever thought about putting 2 of the 4-stroke's on it?

hot rodder

Jan 23, 2009
Hayden ID.
no it is fun the way it is the pic shows the 36 spoke wheels since then i put 144 spoke wheels on it i live in northern idaho out side of Coeur d' alene in hayden

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
no it is fun the way it is the pic shows the 36 spoke wheels since then i put 144 spoke wheels on it
What gauge are your spokes??? With 2 rear wheels...is my concern with 14 ga wheels something I don't need to worry about...since you have 2 wheels...rather than 1?

i live in northern idaho out side of Coeur d' alene in hayden
I live south of you in Twin Falls. Checking in here last night got the fire stoked under me to get my MB built.