starting a build soon. advice?

GoldenMotor.com

gearhead217

Aug 3, 2012
california
I am looking at putting together a two stroke 50cc road bike but i need to know what bike I need first before wasting my money on a bike that won't fit an engine. I am about 5feet 6 inches so I'm pretty short for my age. what would be a good fit for my engine and my height? I am looking for a Schwinn preferably.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I am looking at putting together a two stroke 50cc road bike but i need to know what bike I need first before wasting my money on a bike that won't fit an engine. I am about 5feet 6 inches so I'm pretty short for my age. what would be a good fit for my engine and my height? I am looking for a Schwinn preferably.
Why are you specifying a 50 cc?
The 66 cc engines are the same price and easier to find.

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
I have seen bikes that have been set up on a 20 inch BMX frame, so size may not be the problem that you are supposing. I think that a small mountain bike with 24 inch wheels would give you a good amount of clearance and still have room for your engine and accessories.

The bike I used was a steel 2o inch frame that had 26 inch wheels. I like steel because I can weld it together without much trouble. I changed over the stock rear dropouts to track bike type so I did not need to instal a idler pulley.(I have had major problems with those things in the past, sigh)

I went with Kings 36 tooth sprocket on a Shimano 6 bolt rear hub on a 32 spoke rear wheel. I wound up spending more on the rear wheel and i did on the engine.

They make a good selection of 24 tires so, you probably find something that would work pretty well. i think that 24 x 1.5' probably would work pretty well for you.

I would go to your local bicycle shop and see if you can find a frame that you can stand flat-footed over and be able to pull up 2 inches before it hit something vital.

While you're on the bike a good rule of thumb is, if you're comfortably on the saddle with both hands on the grips then looking down the intersection of the handlebar should block the view of the front hub.

If your not overly tall I think its a good idea to stay away from overly long crank arms. The ones that I use are 170 mm not the standard 175. Mainly because I'm built like a gorilla, i've got long armsin short legs;)

I would go to a good bicycle shop and try to find someone they can fit you with a decent, not terribly expensive bike. I'm thinking around 350 bucks.I may be in the minority view around here but if you spend a certain amount of money then you just don't worry much about the bike. In my humble opinion if you take a lousy bike and motorize it then you will get a lousy motorized bike.

mike