Giant Revel 2 Build??

GoldenMotor.com

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Well I did a search and have not come up with anything. I am interested in sticking a HT 2 stroke china kit into a Giant Revel 2 mountain bike. From what I can tell the only issue might be finding a suitable front motor mount.

Has anyone built a motorized bike out of one of these and what problems did you encounter? Will the SBP large front mount work with a HT motor? MY crapo walmart full suspension mountain bike took a crap this week by blowing out the bottom bracket. I went to a couple of bike shops knowing I don't want another wally world bike ever again.

The first shop seemed only interested in selling me some 2 grand bicycles which are number one WAY out of my budget. So I went to another shop. THe salesman there was not pushy or pretentious at all. After talking a bit about bicycles and my experience (not informing him of my plans to motorize) he assured me that for now the Giant Revel 2 would suit my needs as far as peddling is concerned and could be upgraded with quality components to make a "decent" mountain bike.

So, needing something to commute on immediately I went for it. I will probably convert it to a single speed but I must say my maiden voyage on it was an awesome feeling after riding that POS wally world mountain bike for the past 5 months.

So this is my ride, think I can do a china kit build on it without having to do any welding?

Last edited:

MountainMage

Jan 19, 2011
internets
I'm not sure, but from my experience I just tried to put a china girl on a 19 inch aluminum frame that has a 2 inch down tube, and after adding the large front mount from SBP and the shift kit the spark plug was sticking up past the top tube about an inch. Just by looking at pictures of the Giant I would say it wouldn't fit. I think the problem comes in because the top tube is at such a slant the head doesn't have as much clearance. But I'm just a newb so I'm sure others have ways of making them fit.

You can see what my bike looks like with the engine sitting in the frame without the large mount and there is some clearance, but after adding the large front mount and shift kit it wouldn't fit. I had to add the shift kit because that particular frame had clearance issues on the rear wheel with the chain if I used the standard rear sprocket setup.

Here is the thread http://motorbicycling.com/f3/looks-like-i-need-new-bike-27168.html

Now, I am getting an older 21 inch steel framed bicycle with a V frame and normal sized down tube that I found off craigslist. Good luck

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Went the rear friction drive route...right about the time I decided to do the build HT kits went for too much money to experiment with, have a subaru for it.

After lengthy consideration, I began by upgrading the bike itself with king bb bracket, avid bb7 front brakes, shimano deore xt hubs ryno lite rims etc. I also swithed the front forks to a rigid set that is stock on a Redline monocog. Strong as **** fork.

I wanted to upgrade the rear hub and started considering my rear brake options for my motorized bike and the happy time kits vs hubs became an issue for me. I want to keep a rear disk so the whole space with sprocket plus brake on the bike looked like it could be problematic.....issue was solved by going the friction drive set up as I did not want to sacrifice my bike to being a motorized only bike and still be a decent bike while riding sans motor, now with 2 bolts and 2 screws I can remove the entire set up and hit the trails, or if I just want to peddle while I have the motor with me one little lever flip and I am freewheelin.

Last edited: